What do you think?

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I cleaned for an elderly couple and they got this cheap poly carpet. Pretty short cut. They are the equalent of the builder grade nylons. (which btw I much prefer over this poly crap)

That dark area was treated multiple times and still showed the same thing...dark.

I looked real close and you could see the tips of the fabric being "pointy" and dark. Also feels like its glue or melted.

Could this be friction burn from the old guy shuffling over the same track??
I have seen this in offices where they dragged file cabinets or desks on the carpet and it burnt the carpet but never really had this issue in residential setting. View attachment 574

View attachment 575

View attachment 576

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
They never had anything on the carpet covering it. So it isn't from a rug or doormat.

Mikey P

Administrator
certainly takes detective type skills to figure these mysteries out..

we can only give educated guesses

most of the time the home owner eventually remembers something happening there..

"oh yes, when our niece was visiting from college she was ironing her skirt right there on the floor"..

"I told Herbert not to set that rotten old bean bag from the barn down there.."

"I just knew ol' King was dead when he wouldn't get up for his favorite peanut butter treat .."

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Yes its a door but the dark area is definitely not the way the door swings. Also the dark "thing" is going towards another room where the man stays.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Looks like a pivot point (where they turn) which will add to the abrasion even more.
What kind of shoes do they wear?

Other than that and some other theories, which may prove to be worthless, I don't have a clue :icon_razz:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Look to me more like a dye issue where something was spilled and it was probably screwed up more when they tried to clean it up....looks like they scrubbed the hell out of it.......

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Ofer is close on the pivot points.

Jim the pictures unfortunately don't show how it really looks. It was not scrubbed by them and the pile is in very good evenly standing up condition.

Only the tips of certain strands that are this dark and pointy/melted/ feel.

venting:
Drives me nuts when I see this cheap pos carpet...even the vac cleaner runs away in matted down areas, not to mention you can only vacuum in one direction otherwise it won't dig up anything just spins on top of the carpet. If you push a rotary on it, you better hold onto it because this type of carpet makes them GO. Orbot is hard to push on it too and you have to fight it the whole job to make it go straight...only a couple year old carpet btw.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Could this be friction burn from the old guy shuffling over the same track??

i don't know what's causing it, Zee, but thinl the above would be tremendously unlikely
unless the Ole Boy was shufflin' fast and furious

..l.T.A.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
i don't know what's causing it, Zee, but thinl the above would be tremendously unlikely
unless the Ole Boy was shufflin' fast and furious

..l.T.A.

I know I was thinking the same thing...that is why I was putting it in a question as in "could this be happening" type disbelief. But we always learn something new so I figured I'll put it out there..

Based on all the things I tried it seems like the only thing that will clean it up will be a scissor and carefully cut the very tip of those fiber....quite a time that will take but I will offer it if they call.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom