What don't you like about your box van?

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
A 10' box I think would be ideal but wanted to see what others say.

Anyone have had a box worked on and how much was it? (make hole for a side door, small roll up).

Albert

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Depends on who you have work on it, and what kinda door...

i got mine for $500 installed, but it was one from a trailer that someone ordered and then didnt need. Looks fine, unless you look real close and are a picky bastard...its aluminum, where as the body is FRP.. And it could have gone up to $1000 if i ordered it...

maybe call some utility trailer dealers around and see if anyone has an extra door laying around...

And no, no complaints at all

Al

Re: <b>FINALLY a carpet, furniture, and tile/grout cleaning comp

What don't you like about your box van?

I love my box truck, not one thing I can think of I don't like.

My door was around 3000. It's sweet! 8)

What I dont like...here is a few:

Gas guzzler

Too big/tall for parking garages

No ramp backbreaker for porty or dehu or what ever.

Pros

Big billboard

very easy to work out of

Lots of room for lots of stuff

Look very cool in shades driving

We have an Isuzu and that then can turn on a dime...very surprised how it turns.

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
Albert, check with Richard Chavez. I think he said they put their own doors on their box trucks and that it's cheaper doing it yourself.. he also said it's not hard to do. In fact he told Al here on this thread to call him and he'd walk him through how to do it.

Do a search for box trucks or side doors.. I'm sure you can find it easy enough. I believe the thread was in the last 2-3 months or so.

Personally, I'd go with a 12 foot minimum, preferrably 14. I'd think you'd run out of room pretty quickly with a 10 footer.. but that's me.

clean one

a regular box ( cube ) is to high i have a 15 footer with a ramp its sweet. It's not really that bad on gas
i'm looking at a 12 footer now i also think a 10 footer is a tad small.
I would like to have 4 tires instead of 6. I don't do water damage so don't need a lot of extra room for fans & dehm's.

this is the one i'm looking at now

ades-box2.jpg

John Watson

Hey Albert, I don't run a box van now , but I have had a 12 footer, 4 different 14 footers and I also a bread truck all set up as cleaning rigs.

They are great as far as hauling lots of stuff. We put a side roll up door on our fist 14' Grumman box in 82, we paid $1000 for it installed in Seattle before I drove it back to Alaska, Filled with airmovers, Dehues, a new HM Slide in TM for a different van, We put our 2nd Steam Way Power Matic in this one facing out the side.

That flippen roll up door rattled the whole drive up even tho we tried to stuff and seal it closed because of the Alaskan Highway dust.

They are fuel hogs, no matter what you do to them they are not made for good milage.

They are hard to manuever in tight drives, they don't fit in standard garages, we replaced a few home gutter systems, Hell I even wiped one out, its not just employee bad drivers, In cold weather they are harder to heat the rear section, we installed a heater like in the cab, but added a booster pump to get the fluids through it prpoerly. I had problems with the front ends on the ones where we packed water and left loaded with equipment. All mine were Fords and after a certain milage those older ones started to drip oil no matter what you did.
For us with shorter leggs steps or a ramp comes in handy and also takes room unless you find one with one that stores underneath.

I remember seeing what you had in your old CD Van, for carpet and stone work I myself if going with a ner rig would go with the 1 ton stretch, I like the Shaft drive over the slide in.
I would hire Young Jim B and his dad from Austrailia to design a set up so every thing needed had its place or a drawer to fit in. Heck I just raised my elec vac reel and store all most all my repair and reinstallation tool under it. Used to be just wasted space.

Sorry to say you are a pack rat like me and want it all in the van. The box van will give you higher side walls for shelves since most 10 footers only have single wheels so no extra with. Jim Martin Likes his rig but I believe he is the exception on a one mane show, all otheres have 2-3 people on theres.. Just my thoughts and experince on them. Good luck with what you get. Didn't Mikey get a 10footer with that steamway unit?? Go check it out if you havent already Haven't heard mikey talk about it lately.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom