What Laptop To Buy?

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
My pos toshiba keeps crashing on me so i better change this out before it completely dies. Only 1.5 years old, my last dell lasted 7-8 years.

So what is a good laptop today?
Mainly for business purposes and making sarcastic comments on the internet.

No gamer stuff is needed ...

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
My pos toshiba keeps crashing on me so i better change this out before it completely dies. Only 1.5 years old, my last dell lasted 7-8 years.

So what is a good laptop today?
Mainly for business purposes and making sarcastic comments on the internet.

No gamer stuff is needed ...

Shane
Most pharma companies use the HP elite books. They are a little smaller but very durable. I have seen many droped going into offices. A little salty on the wallet.

I have had a Compag 610 for the last 5 years for Sani-Bright. This was the old model we used. I to am looking for a new unit over the summer. I am still running XP.

My son will probally be my go to guy when I get ready to buy. He keeps up on this stuff more.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
My IT people recommended HP so I just got one for home and love it. I like a 17inch screen so it is not small footprint wise but it weighs barely half my old 17 inch Dell. It has a number pad on the right side like a normal keyboard too!

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i haven't tried only a few, samsung, HP and Fujitsu. i like the Fujitsu Tablet PC the best.

taking it in the field to meet a prospect and jot down their measurements is impressive. i get walk-ups all the time.

it's a Convertible which means it is a laptop but the screen can be flipped around and lays over the keyboard to use in Slate mode with the "pen." it's my main business PC, with all my clients and prospects files in it all written in with the pen. as with any PC it uses MS Office or any other program you want as well. Word has inking ability.

View attachment 1840
http://www.shopfujitsu.com/store/lifebook-t732-tablet-pc

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Shane, depends on what you favor more
Big screen, separate number pad
Quick boot time
Weight, portability
Batter life

I bought ultra book 1.5 year ago and love it
13-14 screen. Forget exact
Speed boot up, so in 5 seconds ready to go
No disc drive, no cd drive. All flash drive
So light, so portable

New ones double as tablets. If that's important

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If you're on a tight budget buy a three-year old Dell ruggedized, Panasonic Toughbook or Lenovo T-61. $300 tops.
If you're not on a budget, anything from the Lenovo T-series will probably be the most durable laptop you can buy for under $1,000.
Treat anything else like glass and get a hard case for it.

Reactions: Shorty

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Thanks Brian, my previous work laptop was an IBM Think Pad R52, heavy bugger, but reliable & with an anti-glare screen.

Currently I'm using a Toshiba Tecra, but no anti-glare screen, both running XP which I've really liked.

XP is getting phased out this year, so I have to upgrade :cry:

Don't like Windows 8.

Didn't like some features with my Apple so I got rid of it.

Main problem was it wanted to use IE or Outlook, (I had Windows hooked up with Parallels).

I much prefer to use Mozilla Thunderbird.

I'm currently looking at the Lenova T530 with Windows 7, fingers and legs crossed.......

Guess I'll just have to get used to IE or Outcast... JUST for my Quicken program.:madd:

All this computer crap is taxing on an old fart.

Thanks for your comments.

:very_drunk:

Chris A

Name
Chris
I'm looking to replace my Toshiba too, but I've been lucky its gone 5 years with no issues. I am starting to notice the creep though...

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Never buy HP, they are notorious for having absolutely the worst customer service, bar none.
I know both from personal experience and from talking to people in the computer industry.

Quite a few Dell purchases (after the HP disaster) never a single complaint and good customer service.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Never buy HP, they are notorious for having absolutely the worst customer service, bar none.
I know both from personal experience and from talking to people in the computer industry.

Quite a few Dell purchases (after the HP disaster) never a single complaint and good customer service.

Yeah i have been using dell since high school, the 80's...

Think i will take a good look at them again.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville

My experience with HP down under has been the same dismal failure.

"absolutely the worst customer service" could not agree more.

+ I have a hate session every time I TRY and UNDERSTAND someone in Calcutta or Karachi.

Never again.

:mad:

Going for another :very_drunk: to cool down. Bloody HP.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Anyone have a general rule of thumb on how much memory/hard drive we need?

For basic business functions windows, ACT, quickbooks stuff like that.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Usually for hard drives what they currently come with is more than enough. Most likely, you'll never fill it up. Unless you are a hard core gamer which, the good news is, will leave you no time for nonsense like carpet cleaning :winky:
You may want to get more Ram (flash memory) as that can make it work faster.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Check out the newer backlit LED keyboards.

I couldn't live without mine now that I have it, especially if your a night owl.

img0495r.jpg

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Just ordered my new Lenoval Laptop.

Hopefully, this will nearly see me into retirement.

[FONT=&quot]Processor [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Intel Core i5-3230M Processor (3.20GHz, 3MB Cache, 1600MHz) with Intel HD Graphics 4000[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Operating System [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Operating System Language [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Windows 7 Home Premium 64 - English[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Display Type [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]15.6" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]System Graphics [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Intel HD Graphics 4000[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Total Memory [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (1 DIMM)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Keyboard [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Keyboard - US English[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pointing Device [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]UltraNav without Fingerprint Reader[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Camera [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]720p HD Camera with Microphone[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hard Drive [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1TB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Optical Device [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DVD Recordable[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]System Expansion Slots [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Express Card Slot & 4-in-1 Card Reader & Bezel[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Battery [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6 Cell Li-Ion TWL 70+[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Power Cord [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]65W AC Adapter - ANZ[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bluetooth [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bluetooth 4.0 with Antenna[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Integrated WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ThinkPad 1x1 b/g/n[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Integrated Mobile Broadband [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mobile Broadband upgradable [/FONT][SUP][FONT=&quot]†[/FONT][/SUP][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Language Pack [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Publication - AP English[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Microsoft Productivity Software ******* [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 (Asia) - English[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I saved about AU$533.00 online, plus no store in Cairns has a laptop with Windows 7.

Happy as one of Marty's pig's :pig: in :bullshit:. :biggrin:

:very_drunk:

PS::: Bloody C n P stuffed up. :barf::barf:

Last edited by a moderator:

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
At only 1.5 years old, the chances are pretty slim that its a hardware problem. Why not just back up everything and do a fresh Windows install?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
At only 1.5 years old, the chances are pretty slim that its a hardware problem. Why not just back up everything and do a fresh Windows install?
This would make sense if it weren't a (as described) POS Toshiba.

I made the mistake (led by glowing computer magazine and user reviews) of buying three Sattelites for various family members. The twenty-seven month old one has been replaced by a used Sony Vaio after it overheated and cooked the internals. It unfortunately did not fail before I bought two more. I replaced the hard drives in both of the newer ones at about the 15 month mark. Great looking screens though.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
This would make sense if it weren't a (as described) POS Toshiba.

I made the mistake (led by glowing computer magazine and user reviews) of buying three Sattelites for various family members. The twenty-seven month old one has been replaced by a used Sony Vaio after it overheated and cooked the internals. It unfortunately did not fail before I bought two more. I replaced the hard drives in both of the newer ones at about the 15 month mark. Great looking screens though.

Thats what the toshiba is doing, i can feel the back becomes super hot then shuts down.

My fault, bought it from best buy for $500 or something.

JeremyB

Name
Jeremy
Best laptop?
Not buying one, I use a laptop at home (Acer) as we have no space for a desktop computer but for work shenanigans I use a tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab 2). Allows me to create a WiFi hot spot with my mobile phone, share the connection, create and send invoices after packing up and before I leave the customers parking lot = better cash flow. No more waiting for the laptop to be free at home to do invoicing or accounts as I can do it all with the tablet using Cloud accounting.
Big time saver!

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo

Heat is the number one killer of internal laptop components. I pulled my VAIO apart last month because it seemed the fan was always at full throttle. The heat sink was totally clogged with compacted dust. After cleaning it out, I was shocked to see how much air it actually moves when it's clear. The intakes on the bottom must also be kept clear. Placing a laptop down on a bed, a couch, and even your lap, can choke off the fresh air being sucked in from underneath and even side vents.. I usually keep a thin book, that is slightly larger than the laptop itself, underneath to keep the intake slots clear if I am using it anywhere other than on a flat table.

Well worth a 8 buck can of air to try blowing it out yourself.
Even if you do buy a new one, after you get it set up drop the old one at a local computer guy and have him blow it out and do a fresh install and I bet you'll get a lot more life out of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom