What To Do About Employee Vacations In Busy Season?

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
What is your policy or what is the law even about employee vacations?

How much control do we have?

Recently had a guy who wanted to take a vacation in june, ended up talking him out of it casually but i really do not know what the law is in this area. Can we have a policy that says no vacations in say may,june,july?

Beeks

Name
J.R.

Recently had a guy who wanted to take a vacation in june, ended up talking him out of it casually but i really do not know what the law is in this area. Can we have a policy that says no vacations in say may,june,july?

Not sure if there is a law on it or not, i tell them we need a 10 day notice to take days off.

Its funny you post this, as i was having the talk this morning with my wife. I got a tech off first half of next week and the other tech the 2nd half of next week for the holiday, which pretty much screws me on the number of jobs i can put on for the week. So my thought was have an extra(in my case a 3rd) tech going at all times, in case of sick days/vacation whatever. Sure they wont have as many jobs each, but I wont be losing jobs, and i can encourage taking more days off to the guys when they want them.

Thoughts?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't think you have any control over that. As long as they follow your procedure for scheduling I think it's their choice. ???

I prefer at least a weeks notice for scheduling but if they want to cash out a day or two or if they missed a day during the week I'll let them use vacation time for it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
As far as I know it is whatever your policy dictates~ make up a policy.
Ken is right....as usual. I am wrong as.....uhhh I did find you the documentation. :errf:

Q: Must an employer pay workers for holidays, sick time and/or vacations?

A: Under the New York State Labor Law, payment for time not actually worked is not required unless the employer has established a policy to grant such pay. Holidays, sick time and/or vacations fall under 'time not worked.' When an employer does decide to create a benefit policy, that employer is free to impose any conditions they choose. Fringe benefits may include:
  • Reimbursement of expenses or tuition
  • Health coverage
  • Payment for - Sick time - Vacation - Personal leave - Holidays

http://www.labor.ny.gov/workerprotection/laborstandards/faq.shtm#9

Answerphone

Name
Jeff
We have employees request time off at least a month out. If there are too many people requesting off, we handle it by who requested the day off first. If it's a holiday, we let people with seniority select the days they want off first, and then do the rest of the employees by a lottery.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
That is how we pretty much handle it as well Jeff. Each of our 9 Managers has their own rules for when employees can utilize their vacation time an it is always a first come first served if conflicts with staffing needs exist.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We offer paid vacation and unpaid leave, but REQUESTS for time off have to be submitted in writing (we have a form) two weeks prior. We have a posted vacation calendar and if the calendar is full guys know they have to do some trading with people that asked for time off before they did. They also know better than to buy airline tickets and try to make their plans my problem, as they know they'll just be paying schedule change fees or looking for work when they return.

You can "black out" your busiest seasons if you want. People want to take time off when the weather is nice though, so you can't be too heavy handed about it. With enough notice you should be able to adjust your schedule to accomodate a missing employee.

We discuss seasonality and scheduling with our guys. They know that they have to make hay while the sun shines, so summer is a great time to take a day off here and there, and winter is a great time to spend three weeks travelling.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
We offer paid vacation and unpaid leave, but REQUESTS for time off have to be submitted in writing (we have a form) two weeks prior. We have a posted vacation calendar and if the calendar is full guys know they have to do some trading with people that asked for time off before they did. They also know better than to buy airline tickets and try to make their plans my problem, as they know they'll just be paying schedule change fees or looking for work when they return.

You can "black out" your busiest seasons if you want. People want to take time off when the weather is nice though, so you can't be too heavy handed about it. With enough notice you should be able to adjust your schedule to accomodate a missing employee.

We discuss seasonality and scheduling with our guys. They know that they have to make hay while the sun shines, so summer is a great time to take a day off here and there, and winter is a great time to spend three weeks travelling.

Exacatackally

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
That's what we need in this country another form...

Too liberal? Too strict? any opinions

Paid Time Off Request Form
Date: ____/____/______​

*** To qualify for holiday pay all associates must work the scheduled day before and after a paid holiday

*** All PTO requests of 3 days or more must be made 30 days prior to request

*** PTO Requests of less then 3 days must be made 7 days prior to request

Name: ___________________________________

Department / Title: _________________________

PTO Dates Requested: ____/____/______ through ____/____/______

Returning: ____/____/______

Total Number of Days Requested: _____ # Days

Number of Paid Days Available: _____ # Days

__________________________________________________________ Date____________
Signature of Employee

Approval:

__________________________________________________________ Date____________