What to do when the tech burns the carpet!!

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
My tech went to an apartment. A lady called was moving out and wanted her deposit back.

There was wax on the carpet.. For some odd reason.... this is what my tech did..

He used an iron. With blue paper towels from the gas station. (he has white towels on the truck) He said he does this all the time. With no problems.. So as soon as he started using the iron this happened. So the type of carpet it was incresed the burning. But I told him never ever do it llike that again.

The apartment manager came over, i showed up. She is giving the bill to the tennant.. I told the manager...... Give me a price and i will write you a check asap. Or i can have the carpet put in myself. she wasnt having it. It was just a bedroom in a section 8 unit.. So I told the tennant when shes gets a bill I will pay it. asap..

IMG_20110516_163642.jpg

IMG_20110516_163654.jpg

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I could not do a repair on this.. Simply because this type of carpet just would not look right. It would show the seems to much. I even called another local carpet cleaner who is the best at repairs.. he said........ It just wouldnt look right.

Burtz

first thing in the morning get off to home depot and buy a wallpaper steamer

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Minimum Wage.....WILL BITE YOU IN THE ASS...."sooner or later".... :oops:

I would'nt let that guy... ClEaN a .."BOwLinG BaLL"....... :roll:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I am the only one in the company to do repairs and transfers. That was just bd. Hope it works out

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
The guys first mistake in 5 years works 10 hour days 6 days a week. I mean his first ever mistake. Hes good customers call and ask for him so he got a ass chewing and that was it

Sent from my g2 using tapatalk. Whofat

Becker

Name
Becker
I can see how he could have made the mistake.

The guy is beat up, working 60 hrs a week, with only 1 day off.

The guy needs rest!

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
We turned the heat down. The property manager said she doesnt let her cleaner use heat, cause he burnt the carpet with his wand before of course we didn't know this till after the fact. Cheap carpet. It didn't clean up well either. I'm running the truck tommorrow. So he can have a break. Ugh wish me luck.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I don't know if it is the techs fault.

I would blame the idiot that allowed an iron on the truck in the first place.

Don't you do an inventory of the contents of the truck to make sure the chems and equipment are all in place, working properly and approved by your company?

This is why I have 4 B&D steamers.

An iron does not belong on a truck. Especially with a tech.

Could be the tech needs to be retrained as to spotting procedures.

Maybe you could have a review,demo or test on spotting removal on several types of stains for the next few mornings before they head out.

There are always new chems and procedures for spot removal hitting the market.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Dave Yoakum said:
I don't know if it is the techs fault.

I would blame the idiot that allowed an iron on the truck in the first place.

Don't you do an inventory of the contents of the truck to make sure the chems and equipment are all in place, working properly and approved by your company?

This is why I have 4 B&D steamers.

An iron does not belong on a truck. Especially with a tech.

Could be the tech needs to be retrained as to spotting procedures.

Maybe you could have a review,demo or test for the techs for a few mornings before they head out.

There are always new chems and procedures for spot removal hitting the market.

"OMG".......................I actually agree with ...DAVE.... :shock:

AmAzinG...NO CommErciAL...either... :shock: :shock:

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
He has used that iron hundreds of times. I want it on the truck but for koolaid stains. I think it was the carpet lol

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
joeynbgky said:
He has used that iron hundreds of times. I want it on the truck but for koolaid stains. I think it was the carpet lol

Then maybe YOU may want to learn some newer stain removal techniques my friend.

There are much better ways than using an iron.

Using an Iron is just waiting for an accident to happen.

And It will (or did) happen.

Mikey P

Administrator
I dont buy that he has used that iron "hundreds" of times with out indecent.

If he truly has than why bother even bring it up here?

Don't you have olefins out there?

Get a wallpaper steamer, an RV and/or a hotter truckmount.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
joeynbgky said:
But I love my 5 year old shark iron

Sent from my Comet using Tapatalk

But, the lovefest will end when you have a fling with a B&D wallpaper stripper and see what you have been missing all these years.

Then you will be hooking up every with the B&D for some steamy fun every chance you can get.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Ill try one. It works better than am iron? That was the first olefin carpet I have seen in this area that was not berber mikey. I feel better since I made this post thanks ladies
Sent from my Comet using Tapatalk

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
It was dave that turned me onto the bd wallpaper steamers. Not only do they work amazing but they also look so much more professional than an iron. I have a policy, never bring something into someone's house that they would consider a houshold item. Back to the wallpaper steamer, another good thing about them is you can leave them unattended. Hook several of them up and then finish setting up while they do the work.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I used an iron hundreds of times without incedent only on certain carpets. But I wouldn't do it now with the other things out there. That was years ago.

Side note: I used to do some very low end apts back in the day. All of them had that cheap cheap Olefin crap.

Every one of them had an iron burn there before we got there.

We got in the habit of looking for it as soon as we walked through the door.

Funny how things can be sometimes.

S

sam miller

1 st off $30.00 walmart Iron with auto off if your using an iron second wet terry towel for transfer not paper third ya truckmount should pull most of it

Really large wax melts then drop iron. I do red removal all day with auto off iron never had problem yet.

as for repair if you could pull it and cut from back and pull closet and cut it from back where the face doesnt lose any fibers you wont get seam peaking or noticable seams

still if the piles crushed and you put a new piece in its obvious.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
sam miller said:
1 st off $30.00 walmart Iron with auto off if your using an iron second wet terry towel for transfer not paper third ya truckmount should pull most of it

Really large wax melts then drop iron. I do red removal all day with auto off iron never had problem yet.

as for repair if you could pull it and cut from back and pull closet and cut it from back where the face doesnt lose any fibers you wont get seam peaking or noticable seams

still if the piles crushed and you put a new piece in its obvious.

Here is one on E-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-DECKER-STEAMW ... 53e710691f

This price is a little high. (they are getting harder to come by. They quit making them in the mid 80s)

I bought an other one on E-bay last week that was under $50 bucks with shipping. So, I snatched it up.

Crain makes that same thing that you can still buy new for $160.00 http://www.craintools.com/fs-more_pages/fs-935.html

SAM,

With a B&D steamer you don't have to worry about it shutting off, no towel needed at all, you can use several at once in unattended rooms (I've used up to 3 at the same time), they look more proffessional, it will never burn a carpet.

I really like having to never use a towel with a steamer. With a iron the damn towel sticks to the iron and it makes quite a mess of it. Irons are very unprofessional when there is a much better alternative.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
If this is a section 8 apartment offer to do the repair and tell the landlady it will not be perfect so I can give you $100.00 cash. Do the best you can for the next tenant

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That tech is a moron, I'd can him before he costs you more money.
I'd do it now while you have a valid reason.

Just think if this had been in a nice home, it could have cost you thousands of dollars.

It doesn't matter how hard or how long he works if he doesn't have the mental power to make good judgements he is a liability.

That's amateur crap, it's the kind of thing a homeower does, not the professional.

Do what you want but it's always cost me more money when I've tried to keep someone that does make good judgments.

I don't do that anymore, when they don't use their brain and pull bonehead moves like that, they are out of here.

Let my competitor pay for their stupidity, but I'm not going.

P.S. Get rid of the iron, get a wallpaper steamer, it works for the red dyes too. Much less risky and you'll still get the results you want.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I don't think I've ever seen Rich get this worked up over anything. :|

You should probably listen to him. Ivebeensold

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Maybe he can post a video of destroying the pile of irons he has laying around for his company.

(Those Nortic videos are getting boring.)

Some iron destruction would be more fun and would be a good stress reliever for you and your techs.

Chavez you are a hard ass.

No wonder you are so successful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom