What would you charge?

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I was supposed to do a strip and wax today. all day job. I get there and they forgot to call me and cancel. My whole family had to rearrange there plans for today. Then all of the people that wanted today that I let go.

I will still do the job, but now the day is a loss money wise. What would you add on the bill when you do the job? Well everyone is in Vegas sweating so I'm going to go to Monterey for the day and cool off.

Thanks

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That does suck but look at as a gift, you have the day off! Enjoy it.

Unless they do that to you regularly, I wouldn't charge them any more. In fact I'd thank them for giving me their work! :biggrin:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I wouldn't charge anything extra, even though you're absolutely entitled to it as it is a money loss.
The reason is that it sets the business relationship on a negative tone, even if they say that they understand. And unless one has to (which happens every once in a long while), disciplining a client is to be avoided.

Tell them that normally you'd add a $$ fee, for no show but you'll wave it this time. Smile and be friendly.
Make a note to yourself and if they do it on a regular basis, price it in or if it drives you crazy, let them go.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I agree with Richard and Ofer, sounds like a large $$$$ job that's already sold. Just reschedule and get paid(wouldn't charge more).

I'd be pissed for about the first hour, after that... Happy to have the day/time off and be w/the kids. Of course I'd be pissed again on the rescheduled day thinking I'd already be done if they didn't "f" up...:mad:

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
so do you ever actually get a day off if you're self employed or a business ownerop of everything. I turned away lots of work this week for Saturday so that hurt. In Monterey now its beautiful. but of course the phone has been ringing off the hook since I got here.

so do you ever actually get a day off if you're self employed or a business owner

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
so do you ever actually get a day off if you're self employed or a business owner
You can't work all the time. Go though your calendar and periodically block off days and plan family events or "me" time. Then don't book any work on those days. When booking, act as if it is scheduled for work and book around that day.

Work like a dog the rest of the time but take your days off and enjoy them guilt free. Money isn't everything, it maybe damn close but you've got to enjoy the fruits of your labor too! :winky:

Last edited by a moderator:

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Don't charge them anything but think about your policy. Put up front in your contract that cancellations less than 24 hours out incur a fee. Then you are covered and they will most likely happily pay (or at least begrudingly). That is what I do and I have not had any trouble with it.

Jim
Pacific Steam Carpet Cleaning

Excellent advice.... And don't forget about the "reminder/appointment confirmation call" the day before. (I'm surprised no one else said this yet) If a business and a Monday appointment, we call the Friday prior, DURING BUSINEESS HOURS, to confirm. Residential customers we reach out over the weekend or Sunday afternoon/evening.

It sucks that you had to eat this, but ultimately it's not their responsibility if you don't have a policy in place. Never count on your client to remember. Make the call and save yourself the hassle. It doesn't happen often, but every once in a while I get the "I'm so glad you called. I forgot to call you, (or lost your number) and I needed to cancel this appointment." It sucks that I found out the day before, but at least I found out the day before! (and not after showing up with a crew).

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Yes it sucked because I had call after call wanting Saturday. Time to put a policy in place. After this I'm sure going to remember to call them.

Why does learning a lesson have to cost so much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom