What would you do?

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So my van has 72K on it and the PTO has 4500 hours on it. The valves are making some noise but it passed smog just fine. The front end is toast from the weight of the monster Prochem hydraulic PTO and the transmission will come out of gear between 55-65 mph some days.
I have a tm I’m almost finished with in my garage to get the beast out of the van and try to save what is left of the engine.
Would you keep the van and repair the front end and transmission and replace engine when it dies? I would like a new van but my credit went away with my house and I have to wait at least another year so I don’t buy 2 vans for the price of one. Been through a lot with that van but I don’t want to waste my money. It's a GMC 2002 extended with a wrap and rims. Floor was spray lined when it was new. So what would you do???

Name
Lee Stockwell
In a previous life I had a lot of experience troubleshooting hydraulics. Would love to tweek that Prochem, believe it had potential that was never attained in its short production life.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
They should have ran it with a pully so you don't run the engine so high. It was just too heavy. 1785lbs with a full waste tank right behind you. You should see what it does to a front end of a van.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think now is a good time to start making a true separation. If you already have a machine then I'd take the money I was going to stick into the old van and buy the best I can afford.

That's not a lot of miles but if the PTO has done a number on the van who knows how much you're to stick into her to keep here running. She could be a money pit, spend that money on something that's got better odds of running with out costing you major bucks.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
You have another TM in the garage?

I would remove the PTO machine that has been causing the problems, fix the van, and install the other TM. From the information you provided, this would probably be the most economically reasonable solution (especially if you can do the front-end work yourself).

You could sell the PTO unit and even come out ahead.

Or convert the PTO to a slid-in?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Valve job, front end work and tranny work.

It's definitly a tough decision to make, we call it a trap. I don't mind throwing nickles to keep a vehicle running but when you start to throw dollars sometimes there seems to be no end to it. Then when you do reach the end and look back and total it up, you could have gone another way and been better off.

Not to mention the time you spend repairing that you could be out cleaning.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I'm picking up the repaired waste tank tomorrow. Still have to get the propane tank for the heater recertified and finish building my t m dash. I hope to have this tm in by october.
I can't wait to get this beast out of the van.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
If it had only 72K I would keep it, BUT 4500hrs is a deal breaker on that motor. Sell it lock stock and barrell as is and use the money to buy a van with 72k actual miles. Trust me you will be money ahead. LIKE!

Magic One

Figure out how much money you can get. Buy a new TM and very nice van. Talk to Jim Peberton he can get the van and TM at a decent Price.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I can't buy anything for another 12 months or my interest will be crazy. I'm going to get this pto out 1st and use the blower and pump to bulid another tm. Sell all of the hydraulic stuff and start saving for a down on a used van.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom