What's good about your business

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I hear a lot of bad things or problems on this board.

What's going well with your business?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Well today was a kick started day, I'm not sure when the call came in but they called me at 7:00 to let me know today's schedule would be a mess. They have three floors wet at a medical office building. We have 5-tms and 2-flood pumpers running there and a dozen techs.

So whats good? A project of this size is being handled with little actual help from me. :)
Plus its also good that someone recognized we are the one's to call for something like this. hey now

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I am my own boss. I can support my family with what I make. I don't punch a time clock for someone else. I do what I want, If I want a day off, I take it. I drive over the Boise River every day. I yell at the trout from my van just to let them know I will be stopping by as soon as I am done with this house.
Everything is good about my business.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Charlie Lyman said:
I am my own boss. I can support my family with what I make. I don't punch a time clock for someone else. I do what I want, If I want a day off, I take it. I drive over the Boise River every day. I yell at the trout from my van just to let them know I will be stopping by as soon as I am done with this house.
Everything is good about my business.

Nice...That sounds like a success story. Congrats!

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Doc Holliday said:
So whats good? A project of this size is being handled with little actual help from me. :)
Plus its also good that someone recognized we are the one's to call for something like this. hey now
Well said, Richard. Just like those trout you have "hidden depths".

Steve

PS What was "good" about my business? It let a snot-nosed 19 year old kid with a bad attitude and no education or skills provide for his family while giving him the freedom to do as he pleased. (And it provided a decent living for 16 employees.)

We all think and/or justify "our way is the only way" but I'm always fascinated by how this industry lets so many people live life on their own terms. Pretty awesome when you look at the economic carnage out there...

Thanks, Brian, for a good reminder.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
X2 Steve! I feel so honored to be part of our great company and all the super people that help us run like a well oiled machine. There are always issues but for the most part things get done extremely well.

Ken

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Just like those trout you have "hidden depths".
Hidden depths?
Hey now. eat shit!

I jinxed myself for typing that they were doing it with little help from me. Dan & I loaded up (in 95-degree heat) another 50-units to send over there. We bought them pizza and sent them over a cooler of gatorade & water.

They are still over there but done extracting and just need to setup drying. They thought they might need 200 units depending on the power available. One crew had to break off and head to a small residential loss. No rest for the wicked! LIKE!

Connor

Name
Connor
Doc Holliday said:
Just like those trout you have "hidden depths".
Hidden depths?
Hey now. eat shit!

I jinxed myself for typing that they were doing it with little help from me. Dan & I loaded up (in 95-degree heat) another 50-units to send over there. We bought them pizza and sent them over a cooler of gatorade & water.

They are still over there but done extracting and just need to setup drying. They thought they might need 200 units depending on the power available. One crew had to break off and head to a small residential loss. No rest for the wicked! LIKE!

Finally got you to do some work, huh?

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
I feel like a very fortunate person as far as my job goes. I went from being a janitor for 14 years 5-6 days a week, to carpet cleaning and picking / choosing the jobs i want (if i want a day off like today to fish with my pop.) I'm so fortunate, i got "lucky" for sure. It makes my years of dragging brick, block & mud so worth it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That's great Derek, spend as much time with him as you can. hey now

Not a day goes by that I don't miss my father. good lord Vawter, just die already.

F

FB7777

The best part this year is that I have been shedding the less profitable , nuisance small customers that I felt obligated to service because I was under the impression I needed them

Been focussing on a couple larger property managers and my retailers for referrals and job averages are up.

Also stopped working on Saturdays almost entirely

Life's good

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Brian R said:
I hear a lot of bad things or problems on this board.

I love everything about my business. That I can run this enterprise entirely by myself is wonderful. Sometimes I am overwhelmed by my awesomeness.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Fred Boyle said:
The best part this year is that I have been shedding the less profitable , nuisance small customers that I felt obligated to service because I was under the impression I needed them

Been focussing on a couple larger property managers and my retailers for referrals and job averages are up.

Also stopped working on Saturdays almost entirely

Life's good
Good for you, Fred, on dumping Saturdays. I just absolutely loved my business- tweaking it, making little adjustments, tuning it up. So I would tell Sioux that I''d just go in for a couple of hours early Saturday morning. I'd happily plunge into all my little projects and... my dear wife would be calling at 6 PM wondering where I was! So I banned myself from going in to the office on the weekends and surprise- the business did just fine!

Steve

PS I absolutely agree on cultivating the "larger" accounts. But a wise mentor once told me, "Never let any one person control more than 10% of your business gross."

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
What is GREAT about my business is the fact that it is my business. If I have a slow week, I only have to look at myself for the changes I need to make. I have control over my destiny, it's up to me to make the correct decisions. If I want to make more money, I implement something to generate business. If I want to slow down, I pull back on advertising and pass on some jobs.

Having control over your own life is the greatest feeling ever.

Jay_wat

Supportive Member
Name
Jay Watson
Connor said:
Doc Holliday said:
"I yell at the trout" :lol:

I yell at the brown trout.

I've seen Jimmy naked

i dont miss running the sewer/jetting machines one bit!! Lol.

i used a face shield when running the equipment,, one guy who was working with me was teasing me,,then a part from a "white mice" went flying,,, he went running out gagging,,came back with his face shield,,, lil green looking thou,,,,Lol

Jay_wat

Supportive Member
Name
Jay Watson
went away from the this field for 7 years,,came back and started my own company,, its great not having to deal with office drama,a putz of a service manager,or having to deal with others who make you look bad,,yes,i worked for a company with other plumbers,,but what the other plumbers did out in the field,,reflected on me,the company didnt mind, but i did.

to come back and see the clients i had worked with in the years past,,that are glad/happy im back doing this. wish i went into this 7 years ago! (dont ya wish to dad!? Lol) but its my path,,and im happy with where its going so far!

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I like that with my low, low overhead.

I can work 1 day and make more that some conventual workers make in a week.

Plus, a little spray paint covers up rust well and looks good from 15 ft away.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Art Kelley said:
[quote="Brian R":3uybiys3]I hear a lot of bad things or problems on this board.

I love everything about my business. That I can run this enterprise entirely by myself is wonderful. Sometimes I am overwhelmed by my awesomeness.[/quote:3uybiys3]

So are we Art. So are we. LIKE!

But seriously... I hear ya on the "entirely by my myself" thing. I love helping people, but I just can't stand depending on them. We all depend on someone in business...Some we depend on more than others.
You would think that the people you pay would be more appreciative than the people who pay US...But seldom is the case.

F

FB7777

That's very true Brian, employees are often harder to manage than customers... And by often I mean always eat shit!

I can't see running a cleaning operation entirely as a lone wolf and reaching my goals tho

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Fred Boyle said:
That's very true Brian, employees are often harder to manage than customers... And by often I mean always eat shit!

I can't see running a cleaning operation entirely as a lone wolf and reaching my goals tho

Neither could I.

Connor

Name
Connor
Jay_wat said:
i dont miss running the sewer/jetting machines one bit!! Lol.

i used a face shield when running the equipment,, one guy who was working with me was teasing me,,then a part from a "white mice" went flying,,, he went running out gagging,,came back with his face shield,,, lil green looking thou,,,,Lol

Oh, so, you worked with a bunch of sissies?

There's a youtube video series called Flush TV, done by Jennifer Katz, she documents the day to day of Levine Plumbing. It's pretty good.

i]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV-iYholEBAi]

Jay_wat

Supportive Member
Name
Jay Watson
Oh, so, you worked with a bunch of sissies?

There's a youtube video series called Flush TV, done by Jennifer Katz, she documents the day to day of Levine Plumbing. It's pretty good.

m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV-iYholEBAm][/quote]

yep,,thats how i gave prices,, best to CYA out there! now im checking out the other vids,,thanks Connor!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Got a great group of long-term employees that know how to do what they do. Just hired four new guys that look like they'll fit right in and even add a little more sparkle to the crew.

The coupon clipper mentality seems to be wearing thin as customers that experimented with discounters are coming back - and they're telling us how they've learned a lesson! Looking forward to putting the depression behind us.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Coupon clippers have been around as long as I can remember.

The difference is it works for product.... But is sketchy for services. Hopefully people will learn that.

I know I was able to offer "coupons" and still do a great job. Not always the case...Actually, seldom is the case.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom