whats is a good goal in gross sales for an owner operator?

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I have left my job to do my cleaning fulltime. I am trying to figure what is a realistic gross sales goal for an owner operator to achieve . I figure between carpet cleaning , vct ,hard floor, upholstery ,and maybe some smaller class 1 and 2 water losses I do enough to continue to stay busy. I wanted to shoot for about 150k in sales for 2010. Is this realistc for an owner operator who uses a couple of part time guys when beeded?if not what is a realistic goal to shoot for?

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
There certainly are owner / operators who gross $150K per year. Those I know who make that have been in business several years and have worked on marketing to reach that goal. They also market to the upper income clients.

Depending on your market and ability togo out and knock on doors to find the business, it is possible. But in my opinion somewhat unrealistic to expect for most new-comers. $75 - 90K might be more likely to happen.

Scott Warrington

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi:

You can believe Scott. Why? More than one reason; #1 because he's been there. #2 he no longer cleans, so does'nt need to impress anyone.

Thx,
Dale

Name
I'm Rick James
"If you can dream it, you can do it"..... Walt Disney

You should talk to Ben Surdi, he was able to do $150,000 his first year, with little marketing.

"You can do it".... Rob Schnider

Name
Lee Stockwell
Do you have $600 per day already on the schedule book for January 1-10?? Probably not.

Newbie with portable in Jeff City may gross $45k first year.

N

nwhmbiz

What you net is all that matters, ask yourself what it will cost to gross 150k.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I gross considerably more than 150k working mainly alone with very little to no advertising or marketing

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
i am at 187k last year and that was my 2nd and a 1/2 year as a oo
it will be pretty much the same this year with the economy being shitty growth was really bad but maintained pretty well.
we added a shit load of new customers but lost a shit load to work relocation's..
just work your ass off..when you have a slow day dont stick your bottom lip out, go find some business.
dave

davegill said:
it will be pretty much the same this year with the economy being shitty growth was really bad but maintained pretty well.
we added a shit load of new customers but lost a shit load to work relocation's..
just work your ass off..when you have a slow day dont stick your bottom lip out, go find some business.
dave

Who cares what someone else grosses. I think everyone should keep what they make private. No offense to anyone but I have been hearing from a lot of local cleaners talk about how much money they are making and how busy they are, but when it comes time to break their wad out they start singing a different tune. I had three local cleaners talk so much shit about being booked for weeks but they can't even pay off their chemicals bought on credit or buy a 500 dollar quality wand and upgrade from their pos 1.5 inch two jet wands.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I see from your profile you have been at it part time for several years already. I have been in business 5 years myself and have had around 20% growth every year until this year where I only had a small increase, but part of that is because my schedule is maxed out now a good part of the year. You should have no problem growing 20% a year the first few years over what you did last year.

It really just depends on how much you have to put into advertising and how good you are at getting out there and shaking the bushes. Also get a good website if you don't have one. For a $12.95 a month hosting fee it is the best money I have ever spent. Pass out business cards like they are candy and let everyone you come in 20 ft. of know what you do for a living.

As far as doing $150,000. Well, I would aim for about half that to be realistic as a first year full time goal, then through price increases and building your business climb towards the higher numbers.

Good luck!

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
nwhmbiz said:
What you net is all that matters, ask yourself what it will cost to gross 150k.

It is not what you make, it is what you keep! Be frugal (cheap ass) and keep the zipper tight on your bank account. Do not get over your head into debt. Like Jim said, keep working at it!

Bjorn

zxzxzxzxzxz.jpg

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
If Osbourne actually owned a Zipper and let it loose, he would have made $436,000.00 for the year. What do you think about that Oden? (j/k) But seriously with those results, I definitely need to speak with Joe. With the increase in his business, I would be a multi millionaire in one year.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Lee Stockwell said:
Do you have $600 per day already on the schedule book for January 1-10?? Probably not.

I have already exceeded that. I quit my job last summer so I have been on the loose ,so far so good. I am pushin the 100k Im a master cleaner in my fifth year of business porty or not its possible and I will achieve it.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
juniorc82 said:
Lee Stockwell said:

I have already exceeded that. I quit my job last summer so I have been on the loose ,so far so good. I am pushin the 100k Im a master cleaner in my fifth year of business porty or not its possible and I will achieve it.
CALL JOE!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Draper

brent said:

You should talk to Ben Surdi, he was able to do $150,000 his first year, with little marketing.

I'd prolly believe that if i could see his taxes.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
Mike Draper said:
brent said:

I'd prolly believe that if i could see his taxes.
He probably doesn't make cash, truth be told.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
I am amazed at all the posting refering to gross sales rather than net profit. For the people that posted their annual sales, what was your net after all expenses ( marketing, supplies, temp labor, etc.) ?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I am ashamed to say I have no clue how much I made this year yet. I do know I grossed close to $300,000 but the second truck killed me this year, I gave away alot of at shop cleaning because I didn't have my systems down. My billing and collections was awful. Call back times were terrible, I was overwhelmed and now I am going into the winter and tightening the belt. You better be prepared to be busy which costs alot of money and expect to be slow. Be very careful keep it simple and make sure your voicemail and scheduling line up properly.
Luckily doing great work had saved me.

Tony Neville

Name
Tony Neville
My thought would be not to break it down as a year, instead look at it as 260 days and set a goal of 600 dollars a day. This way you can just track the over/under and can easily readjust your goal to say 300 off season and 900 on season.

I believe it is more important to understand your expenses and why you spend where you do.

Tony

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
danielc said:
davegill said:
dave

Who cares what someone else grosses. I think everyone should keep what they make private. No offense to anyone but I have been hearing from a lot of local cleaners talk about how much money they are making and how busy they are, but when it comes time to break their wad out they start singing a different tune. I had three local cleaners talk so much shit about being booked for weeks but they can't even pay off their chemicals bought on credit or buy a 500 dollar quality wand and upgrade from their pos 1.5 inch two jet wands.

i wasn't talking to you, i was answering a asked question so i don't give a shit if you think everyone should keep their numbers private.
i have helped more people on this board than you could imagine in private calls and emails and will help or answer any question asked if
it will help someone..
and as far as what i actually make..i live in a all brick 3k sqft house with a pool and a large garage.
i own a 2k sqft rental home
i own several cars that are just toys and i have no need for them other than to play
i have a very happy wife of 17 years and i go fishing at least once a week and most of the time
a few times a week..i am very successful in my opinion.
so instead of posting your opinion why not answer or help the person asking a question.

Name
Lee Stockwell
My wife and I scouted out Flagler Co FL in '88 as a relocation possibility. You hit a gold mine I'm sure, with a lot of hard work. It's boomed since then.

FloorPizza

Name
Brandt
davegill said:
danielc said:
davegill said:
dave

i wasn't talking to you, i was answering a asked question so i don't give a shit if you think everyone should keep their numbers private.
i have helped more people on this board than you could imagine in private calls and emails and will help or answer any question asked if
it will help someone..
and as far as what i actually make..i live in a all brick 3k sqft house with a pool and a large garage.
i own several cars that are just toys and i have no need for them other than to play
i have a very happy wife of 17 years and i go fishing at least once a week and most of the time
so instead of posting your opinion why not answer or help the person asking a question.

My post is gonna be totally off topic...

David, I'm sure I'm not the only lurker that appreciates your honest responses, which you continue to give regardless of the flack you get in return. At least, this lurker does.

Your website is *very* well done. Just thought I'd point out a couple typos that would make it look *perfect*! I'm not trying to nit pick; I'm the typo king. Just thought you'd probably like to know about them... Anyway, on your FAQ page (which is, IMO, well written and informative. If I were a potential customer, your FAQ page would seal the deal.): Paragraph, "Steam Cleaning is the only way...", Sentence "....but then not rinse out the soat and dirt...".

Paragraph "Why does Julington Creek Carpet Care use...." sentence "You will here many STORIES...". Change the "here" to "hear".

I would have copied/pasted the text from your web site, but for some reason my browser won't allow me to select any of the text in your FAQ.

Again, sorry for the off topic post... we now return you to your regularly scheduled Mikey's Board shenanigans..

/lurkmode

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
that is awesome..i will take all the help, advise and correcting i can get..i can only get better if someone tells me where i am lacking..
thanks for the nice words about the web site, we are proud of it and get lots of work from it..especially from the upper
level clients..they will always look up your web page, if it is half ass then you will lose them as a customer..we have been told this
directly by many of our upper end clients.
i will help anyone i can with anything i can any time..i am sure there have been some calls that i have missed or not returned
when we are slammed and i just dont have the spare time at that moment but one way or another i always seem to get hooked
back up with whoever needs advise..real advise not bullshit pipe dreams.
thanks
dave

and merry christmas

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
davegill said:
danielc said:
davegill said:
dave

it will help someone..

Careful- people might think you are bragging! ! :p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom