What's it cost to move a tm to a new van?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I'm planing on a new van in the next year or so. Current van is getting a few rust spot, still runs great(06 ford).

Just wondering if anyone has had a disty move the unit/reinstall and what something like that would run.

My tm has 1k hours now. So it most likely should have 1500-1600 hours on it when it's moved.

I've thought about keeping the current van set up as a back up/extra van for when we/I get a helper. However, a new van AND tm is a little scary at this point.

Sooooo, how much to move a mid sized tm?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Its not quite the cost of two installs. If fact removal is actually fast compared to install. If you were looking to save money any mechanic with an impact wrench can break her loose in short time.

Install is not that bad either, just time consuming and frustrating with cross members and heat shields to deal with. I like box van installs, lots of room inside and underneath.

Name
Lee Stockwell
If it's going into similar van should be easy with the right tools. About 2hrs...

If a dissimilar van, much longer. Depending on fuel tap upgrades and access to preferred bolt locations.

I've heard anything from $400 to $1000, which may be a bargain for you if you aren't qualified to do it. A good distributor's shop has done it a lot and has worked out the kinks already.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Just guessing I'd think any where from $1,500 to $2500.00 depending on what you have installed, reels, water tank, shelving, marine board flooring??? It takes me a couple of days. All the big stuff bolted down is easy but all the little stuff takes time. Shop it around, like Lee said with the right tools it goes much faster. I used to uninstall mine until I saw how fast my distributor got them out. Not much savings when he's so fast at it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Don't forget the cost involved before install.
- bed liner
- insulation on walls & ceiling(I like to do the doors as well)
- covering floor, walls & ceiling
- new van lettering or wrap
- probably something else I'm forgetting

John Olson

Name
John Olson
If it's going into similar van should be easy with the right tools. About 2hrs...

If a dissimilar van, much longer. Depending on fuel tap upgrades and access to preferred bolt locations.

I've heard anything from $400 to $1000, which may be a bargain for you if you aren't qualified to do it. A good distributor's shop has done it a lot and has worked out the kinks already.
You really didn't just say 2 hours to uninstall and install did you? 4 man hours to uninstall a machine, hose reel, and chem shelf (2x2) if the bolts need to be cut out and more if more things are in there and 8-14 man hours depending on what all is being installed. Also the price of the fuel tap if your not putting it back into the same year. A GM tap would transfer over but the ford wont.

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Lee Stockwell
John I was speaking of our typical experience with identical machines (PC405) into identical Ford vans. JUST THE MACHINE.

If you can't do that in 2 hrs your goofing off. Eight bolts thru the floor, gas line, battery cables. Cherry picker thru side door, or just roll into back door of extra van, and roll into target van. Use a few roller pipes.

Use 2 people usually, I'm not in my 50's any more.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I was speaking of our typical experience with identical machines (PC405) into identical Ford vans. JUST THE MACHINE.

The unit will be going from a ford(06) to a ford(12-14). Shelf, reels, etc. would not need to be moved. Just the tm.

Just trying to plan ahead and get some type of idea how much getting a new van set up is going run.

Thanks guys.

Name
I'm Rick James
You got a buddy? If so you can easily do it yourself.. I do it all the time and in fact heading out in a little bit to install a Maxx 470 in my chevy.

Here is what you do and save yourself the money..

Pull the vans side by side or side to back.. whichever.. Get some wood, I use 2.. 2 inch by 5 inch wood planks.. i think they were originally used to help level out an RV.

I put sliders under the machine and slide it over to the other machine.. I have gotten it transferred over in about 10 minutes after I put it on sliders with my buddy.

I slide it over to the other van, place it where I want and drill the holes..

Pretty simple and I have done it this way around 10+ times and never had an issue.. Jon don wanted to rape me with the fuel tap in my 2003 ford for a tune of almost $700 with install. I got the fuel tap from interlink for $154 and installed it myself in about an hour or so.. definitely within the time frame of Tool's 10,000 days album that I was listening to at the time.

With the money you saved just now.. you can take your wife out to a nice dinner and a movie.

;)

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Funny you should mention this. I just had mine pulled out this afternoon. My Son and I cleaned out the van, cut the bolts, plugged the fuel line, secured the TM, and drove it to installer today. It took an EXPERIENCED installer 15 minutes to pull the Genny out with a fork lift because it was installed slightly rear of the side doors. Guys, this is a 1500 lb machine, and it ain't a do-it-yourself job unless you have a forklift. Cherry picker wouldn't get enough lift on it to clear the door, and you ain't rolling it out and catching 1500 lbs!

I wanted the "new" unit in a box van, but couldn't find one I liked, so I am installing into my 03 Chevy extended for now.

More pic's when I pick it up tomorrow.

e1_zpsb6607529.jpg
e2_zps90aead51.jpg

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Don't forget the cost involved before install.
- bed liner
- insulation on walls & ceiling(I like to do the doors as well)
- covering floor, walls & ceiling
- new van lettering or wrap
- probably something else I'm forgetting

I agree with Shane. Van prep is way more costly than moving the machine, that's all time.
And some machines are too big to move with a cherry picker or 2X4'S. The Genesis has 1 inch to clear the top of the door opening. A Ford van is really easy to install a machine in.

Last edited:
Reactions: rwcarpet

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Our DC534, which only weighs 650 lbs is a one-piece assembly . . .

We would remove it for ~$200 and reinstall it & reel for ~$300.

Accessories and other TM's would increase the labor hours required.

Customers tell us of $800 install only charges for slide-ins.

Larry

Reactions: jcooper
J

JS41035

Angle grinder to cut the bolts. Use the drip pan as a template to drill new mounting holes. I never mess with unbolting stuff. The labor is more expensive than new bolts. I agree that a swap into a new van that doesn't have a fuel tap will take longer. A cherry picker will work fine for a 405.
I've swapped machines by myself in 4 hours. In the parking lot of a transmission shop. No cherry picker. Just plywood and pipes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Name
I'm Rick James
Angle grinder to cut the bolts. Use the drip pan as a template to drill new mounting jokes. I never mess with unbolting stuff. The labor is more expensive than new bolts. I agree that a swap into a new van that doesn't have a fuel tap will take longer. A cherry picker will work fine for a 405.
I've swapped machines by myself in 4 hours. In the parking lot of a transmission shop. No cherry picker. Just plywood and pipes.

Exactly.. people get so intimidated that they don't realize how easy it actually is. It took 10 bolts for me to install a maxx 470 and tank.. took less than an hour and that wasn't even hurrying. I will take pics today and post them..

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think it can be easy but can also be a real pain. A lot depends on where the unit lines up and what is in the way. Those cross members have to worked around. You may have to drill your own holes in the frame if you want all your bolts in. Taking down and replacing heat shields is also a pain. The Dodge's that I did we're a breeze, Ford's not too bad but I give the Chevy's to my distributor.

I'll do the box trucks because my fat ass can fit beneath them without getting stuck. Its still takes me a couple of days, measuring, drilling and bolting. Positioning the fresh water tank, mounting the hose reel bolted from the bottom up and double nutted, for easy removal so the mechanic has access to the unit.

I enjoy it but it is so time consuming I didn't do the last couple. I just marked where I wanted everything and was happy with the results.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
im in the exact same boat, 980 hrs on my machine, van has some rust but is getting worse every year, and keeping up with it is crazy since the winters up here are nothing but salt. wanted to get chevy 1 ton extended with pro 1200. but gota see how this fall goes. might keep my van as backup or run too vans next spring. I barely kept up this spring.

I'm planing on a new van in the next year or so. Current van is getting a few rust spot, still runs great(06 ford).

Just wondering if anyone has had a disty move the unit/reinstall and what something like that would run.

My tm has 1k hours now. So it most likely should have 1500-1600 hours on it when it's moved.

I've thought about keeping the current van set up as a back up/extra van for when we/I get a helper. However, a new van AND tm is a little scary at this point.

Sooooo, how much to move a mid sized tm?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Wow that's a deal. I think I've regularly paid in the $1,200.00-$1,500.00 range.

For that much, I'd just about be tempted into trying to move it myself! You must have went to jarred:clap:. Heck, local disty wanted like 2k to install the unit when I bought it.

Fuel taps sound intimating.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
There is a huge difference between doing it yourself and having "us" do it. Get into and a minor accident after we installed it and you live, do it yourself good chance the machine kills you. Matter of fact you should be able to roll your van and the machine we install will be exactly where we put it. Install the fuel kit on your own and get into and accident and blow up your not covered we install it and we are on the hook as will be the manufacturer.they limit their liability to authorized installation centers which your not. These are all what ifs and may never ever come into play and it's your life and livelihood your gambling with. Place your bets and takes your chances..

Mike Draper

There is a reason it's 2 grand. I've built a couple trucks now. Doing it correctly takes more time and more money than u think. Unless you are very mechanically inclined it's better to have a professional do it. I'm a tinkerer and I love building things that's why I do it. It's still frustrates me at times though.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
You got a buddy? If so you can easily do it yourself.. With the money you saved just now.. you can take your wife out
to a nice dinner and a movie.;)

I don't doubt your mechanical prowess.

However, I'd rather have it professionally installed.
.....and with the time saved (un-wasted, if you will), go get a few new clients that will allow me to take the wife to Europe, dinners included.

Admit it guys. You just love the smell of grease in the morning.
It feels like...................being busy.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Funny you should mention this. I just had mine pulled out this afternoon. My Son and I cleaned out the van, cut the bolts, plugged the fuel line, secured the TM, and drove it to installer today. It took an EXPERIENCED installer 15 minutes to pull the Genny out with a fork lift because it was installed slightly rear of the side doors. Guys, this is a 1500 lb machine, and it ain't a do-it-yourself job unless you have a forklift. Cherry picker wouldn't get enough lift on it to clear the door, and you ain't rolling it out and catching 1500 lbs!

I wanted the "new" unit in a box van, but couldn't find one I liked, so I am installing into my 03 Chevy extended for now.

More pic's when I pick it up tomorrow.

e1_zpsb6607529.jpg
e2_zps90aead51.jpg

Well, had "new" TM installed between 1:00 yesterday, and picked it up at 5 today. The experienced installer even stayed over on Wednesday night to get it ready for today. He ran into some problems that extended the install time. No problem for me, I need assured it was done right.

Now some do it yourselfer could have extensive downtime if they run into install problems. I had an experienced installer doing the work, and he got every thing corrected.

I have installed a Mastermatic with my Sons and B-I-Law. It probably only weighed 5-600 lbs if that, and the foot print was only maybe 2.5x3 foot, minus the waste tank. I think we lifted it up with steel pipes and slid it into the van. Ya ain't doing that with todays big TM's!

J

JS41035

I agree. An install is only as good as the person doing the work. I personally would rather take that responsibility. But we are hours from any dealer. And that mentality affects a lot of the decisions we make.
If you have never welded, or fabricated anything I can see the logic in paying a shop. We are in a unique situation as far as access to tools,lifts etc.
Installing a Truckmount is not a super complicated process. It just involves some big numbers and bad consequences for shoddy work.
I wish the TM installs had more custom stuff (like the rigs in Australia ). But I guess most people won't pay extra for a better layout.

Name
I'm Rick James
I don't doubt your mechanical prowess.

However, I'd rather have it professionally installed.
.....and with the time saved (un-wasted, if you will), go get a few new clients that will allow me to take the wife to Europe, dinners included.

Admit it guys. You just love the smell of grease in the morning.
It feels like...................being busy.

You're wife is going to love you for that one..

The installs are just as good as jon dons with the same parts.. doesn't take a rocket scientist to drill 10 holes in the bed of the van and put the bolts in those holes. I put furniture sliders under the machine and it slides like a dream.

Reactions: ruff
Name
I'm Rick James
Well, had "new" TM installed between 1:00 yesterday, and picked it up at 5 today. The experienced installer even stayed over on Wednesday night to get it ready for today. He ran into some problems that extended the install time. No problem for me, I need assured it was done right.

Now some do it yourselfer could have extensive downtime if they run into install problems. I had an experienced installer doing the work, and he got every thing corrected.

I have installed a Mastermatic with my Sons and B-I-Law. It probably only weighed 5-600 lbs if that, and the foot print was only maybe 2.5x3 foot, minus the waste tank. I think we lifted it up with steel pipes and slid it into the van. Ya ain't doing that with todays big TM's!

What kind of install issues did he have? If you move a machine in the future you should put furniture sliders underneath it so it slides easily..

Name
Lee Stockwell
What kind of install issues did he have? If you move a machine in the future you should put furniture sliders underneath it so it slides easily..
Perhaps sliding on a carpeted floor.

I promise you will just kill good sliders attempting to slide that Genny on that floor.

I promise...

Name
I'm Rick James
Perhaps sliding on a carpeted floor.

I promise you will just kill good sliders attempting to slide that Genny on that floor.

I promise...

You can't reuse the sliders for work, but they do work sliding the machine around.. if you want to make it slide easier you can apply the trim restore on the flooring (which I do anyways to keep it black) and it will slide with great ease.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom