Whats the deal with 2inch wands?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
First of all, 2" wands with cast metal heads ( Bentley, Ti, etc) nearly always have the best AIRFLOW . . .

You can use a short 1.5" whip with 2" cuffs and barb for better maneuverability in a residence . . .

10 feet of 1.5" vac hose is equivalent to 40 feet of 2" vac hose . . .

Everybody thinks their TM can handle 40 more ft. of 2" vac hose . . .

Larry

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
I have recently moved into the modern era and purchased a TI wand, flash cuffs, and dropped the 1.5 whip. My commercial crew however still uses the 1.5 butler wand with the 1.5 inch whip. I am fine with it so long as there is there adequate time for the carpet to dry considering building air conditions and time until people arrive. There is no doubt it takes some getting used to, but using the 2 inch wand with no whip does make a considerable difference in dry times with my machine.

Reactions: dealtimeman

hogjowl

Idiot™
I have absolutely no idea what Larry is saying up above ... I guess it's over my head ... but I can tell you that there's no way I'm going back to using a whip hose and a 1.5 inch wand. I tried going back a couple of years ago. I convinced myself that all the problems I had 20 years ago with poor drying times and related issues was not a result of the girly wand ... it had to have been something else. I had a Vortex with a huge honkin 6008 blower, so I convinced myself that moving all that air would allow me to go down to a whip hose and small wand and still have decent drying times.

Wrong.

I had this revelation ...

You can't move as much air through a 1.5 inch hose.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Bama Boar ;

I was just stating that the 1.5" hose has 4 times the loss of lift , as the same length of 2" vac hose

(assuming 2" inlet and outlet cuffs on the 1.5" hose).

So if I clean with an additional 10 ft. 1.5" hose and you add 40 ft. of 2" vac hose . . .

we would have exactly the same amount of vac power at the wand.

Larry

hogjowl

Idiot™
Bama Boar ;

I was just stating that the 1.5" hose has 4 times the loss of lift , as the same length of 2" vac hose

(assuming 2" inlet and outlet cuffs on the 1.5" hose).

So if I clean with an additional 10 ft. 1.5" hose and you add 40 ft. of 2" vac hose . . .

we would have exactly the same amount of vac power at the wand.

Larry
How would having "2"inlet and outlet cuffs on the 1.5" hose" be of any benefit?

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Marty,
I recently came across a video of someone with a 1.5 to 2.0 vinyl reducer cuff and they had a barb connector in it. The opening looks like it is not much bigger than 1"
So I think what Larry is saying if you are going to run 1.5 hose you need the right cuff that stays to the OUTSIDE of the hose as to not make it any smaller inside with a barbed connector.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Marty,
I recently came across a video of someone with a 1.5 to 2.0 vinyl reducer cuff and they had a barb connector in it. The opening looks like it is not much bigger than 1"
So I think what Larry is saying if you are going to run 1.5 hose you need the right cuff that stays to the OUTSIDE of the hose as to not make it any smaller inside with a barbed connector.

I've never see such a thing. The whip hose I use for my stair tool is approximately the same size as the diameter of the hose.

J

JS41035

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413253351.204644.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413253363.502140.jpg
I think he's saying that if your gonna use 1.5. Use the reducing cuff on the right. Instead of the reducing barb on the left. The cuff threads on the outside and removes a needless restriction

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom