What's the difference between a Ford Tranist and an Astro?

Why not just get an astro? I have seen quite a few transits on the road, and I just can't get over how small they are. If I wanted to install my Legend in a smaller truck and just plan on hooking up or not carrying water, could I get away with something like that? I have even thought about going with a trailer, but I hear they are a pita to work from. However this summer it would be nice to step inside a nice air conditioned truck.

Farenheit251

The problem i always had with the Astro is new they cost the same as the full cargo van.

Also I would be skeptical of saving much on fuel. A friend switched his fleet to 6 cylinders to save and found that when loaded w/cc equip they used just as much fuel as the 8 cyl.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Transit it current, the Astro is not, I think they quit making it in 06

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
what Chris said..they no longer make an Astro
(which was a VERY good mini van BTW)

also what Brian said,they cost as much as a full size van.

Mileage was little better compared to the full size Chevy's, but not a lot more compared to Ford's Triton engines.
I get 18 MPG hi-way with my E-250 extended Ford... fully loaded.
(that's at 70+ MPH speeds)
Astros get 20 or so MPG

not such a great savings when you consider the extra space in a full size van

.L.T.A.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
My 98 Astro got 18 MPG on the highway driving from California to Texas and back using cruise control. It hit 19 MPG one time, thats it. You save 0 on gas savings and you lose all that space. My 94 ford e150 with the straight 6 gets 18-20 on the highway depending on the load. So why would you bother unless you already have a Astro or were limited in parking in a big city. A transit might work but were are you going to put the vacuum? Ivebeensold

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The Transit has a higher roofline (more room) than an Astro and gets better mileage. The Astro will haul and tow a heavier load while going and stopping more easily. The people I've talked with that have Transits are generally happy with them, they just say that with a heavy load it takes forever to get to freeway speed and stopping distance is downright frightening.

If you're using a portable and doing a jan/san thing it might be ideal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom