Whats your "calling in life"?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
To retire and collect a pension from GM.

To collect my Social Security from age 62.

To run a small carpet cleaning business that can say "**** off" to anyone I don't want to work for, any jobs I don't care to do.

To start my day as I see fit.

To win $100,000 in the Ohio Lottery.

Oh, wait..............I'm already at that "calling in life"! :cool:

Only 2 things I know are still coming at me.......death and taxes.

Reactions: Ed Valentine

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I would have to say that cleaning carpet, tile, upholstery, etc., is my final calling since I have been doing it for 35 straight years now.

I started out as a frontman for a local rock band (that was enjoyable until I got drafted) but then I got whooshed into the Army and went to Vietnam for 13 months (1966-1967), came home, got married, had 2 daughters, got a job in the computer division at NCR for 4 years (during this time I purchased 5 different Corvettes, 2 '63 split window coupes, 2 '69 427 CID, and a '70 350-350). Then I left NCR and got my Real Estate license and did that until the housing recession of '77, then I learned the building trades, got divorced, then got re-married, had another daughter, and opened up a cabinet shop and added a carpet cleaning business which soon over took the cabinet shop, where I am to this day. I had a stint at designing and manufacturing ETM's which to this day I believe were at the top of the list of ETM's as mine is still cranking away some 20 years later with little to no repairs other than normal wear and tear over the years.

Along the way I found Jesus Christ and have been a faithful member of our church for 25 years, being on a Worship team and on the leadership team in Celebrate Recovery (started by Saddleback church in Lake Forrest, California).

I wouldn't trade these experiences for anything, and I should have kept those two '63 split windows! I bought and sold so many cars those years I got a letter from the state of Ohio saying I needed to get a dealers license before I bought any other cars.

Maybe in a couple of years I might retire, but I really like working.

Last edited:

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
not sure of mine
But when I get a call and someone has a problem that I can fix, bleach spot, incontinent, dog accident, etc etc, and I can make it go away, it gives me some purpose.

You're right, Ron. Just having customers remark "why can't anyone else get this clean" is very satisfying.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom