When A Customer Asks?

Name
Matthew
If a customer asks you what product to purchase to get rid of a pet stain or spray on a pet spot to remove the smell, what should you suggest? People often ask me for a "home remedy."

Also, sometimes customers call and ask about pet stains and tell me they tried Resolve and Spot-Shot or some other retail product to remove the pet stains. How do you respond to this without coming off negative?:icon_redface:

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
We tell them because over the counter items and do it yourself methods, as a whole, tend to complicate professional correction and in turn cause more cost for us to remedy, it's best to not take the risk.

Remind them how much carpeting costs to replace vs having you there for a day.

Learn how to complete color correction for those that choose to not heed your warning so when they call you back with larger problems, you can re-enforce your words with $150-200 color correction services for the spots they set/caused color loss to.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We recommend a good enzyme for pet odors. We sell "Outright" out of our store front but they act also get it or something similar at Petco, Petsmart or another pet store.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Home Pro has a pet stain spotter designed for consumer use. For most stains that are not weeks old, it will remove the stain without doing any damage. It also has a little deodorizer.

The Pet Spotter is available as a single bottle or can be customized with your company name, logo, phone number and so forth. I know a few cleaners are giving it to their clients with pets and also leaving it at veterinary offices as a give away. They get their name and number into the hands of people with pets who could become good customers. Here is the link for the custom version - https://homeprospotter.com/
A link for single bottles - https://www.hpbyd.com/content_products.asp?content=prod_pets.html

Name
Yohance
vinegar and water, this is also a chance you can sell your own product to them. Interlink will put whatever you chose with your name on the label and thats a additional revenue for you if your getting alot of people asking.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
For small pets or puppy i suggest Vinager for pee smell so the pet will not revisit the spot or be triggered to go again on the carpet and for larger pee or vomit i suggest that they go to the pet store and tell them what the problem is (vomit or pee) and buy a product that is specifically desinged for the problem they have and that they must be patient and follow the instruction or it wont work. Do not use anything that is not specifically desinged for the problem or they can set the stain and do not use their home steam cleaning machine because the water and heat will just set the stain.

Last edited:

steve_64

ma'am you can try vinager and water if its fress. blot dry with a towel first then apply pouring a little more than you think there was. then blot that dry.

if its old or if that doesnt work call me back and ill take care of it for you.

dont use any over the counter products because i get so many people that use them and damage thier carpet or it just doesnt work.

my prices are reasonable and for my minimum i can clean the traffic lanes in the room also while im there or a chair if you prefer.

if this is an ongoing problem i recommend a thougouh cleaning and adding a protector to help prevent further damage.

then they usually say the dog is old and dying so they are waiting. some call back later to book full house cleaning.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Vinegar or an acid side neutralizer won't be much help on fresh urine. The urine will be slightly acidic. Adding more acid does nothing. It will make the house smell like vinegar which might cover up the urine smell for awhile.

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
I do everything I can to help them solve the problem by themselves. I don't give an opinion about a product unless they ask. I usually ask them what they did so far, and give them some pointers on why this spot may or may not be challenging. Ill then ask them what cleaners they may have in their arsenal, and offer a possible plan of action. Being sure that this may or may not solve their problem, but its the best they can do until a Professional can arrive. Callers are very appreciative of our help, and will remember us in the future. Most of the time, they just want to relax, knowing that they've done all they can.....

We also have spotting procedures on our Website that they can access to help them. A feature that many Customers are thankful for when asked their feedback. Just a side note, we give each Customer a free lifetime bottle of spotter (like Scott W. suggests). In my opinion, the customer will remember the cleaner who took the time to help them, rather that the one who tried to sell them.

Either way, we believe that you'll create a better moment of truth by helping them solve the problem, or create a "Band-Aid" until they can have you out to do more. What you're looking for, is a positive moment of truth for the caller to have a great opinion of you.

Just a thought...

steve_64

Vinegar or an acid side neutralizer won't be much help on fresh urine. The urine will be slightly acidic. Adding more acid does nothing. It will make the house smell like vinegar which might cover up the urine smell for awhile.

its usually a week after the fact, they rarley call me first thing unless they are a current customer. the others call when it starts stinking.
and its rarely one spot. there may be one fresh spot but usually a whole area or multiple rooms are contaminated.

i will also ask if they want me to come out and look at it,no charge.:winky:

Back
Top Bottom