When is it time to take your son on the truck?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
My oldest boy will be 13 in April. I'm starting to think of responsibilities to give him that will help him grow up. He's pretty immature, like a lot of kids his age. He's good size though. I think he may have the makings of a decent chimp, if only for apartment days, this Summer. Am I crazy to take him with me? Would you even consider it for resi work? I'd get him fixed up proper with a shirt, hat, haircut. Are there labor laws I should worry about?

The Clean Machine

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Russ,

I'd start with "fun" days at first, empty apartments, commercial and so on. Keep it you and him and try to build interest.

Reactions: Russ T.

Becker

Name
Becker
Alex has come on jobs with me since he was like 1st grade.

Vacant, com with no client contact.
He did not come to work, but to experience.
It was rare.

A couple of summers ago he worked with me several days, vacants, a few typical jobs with clients. He looks and can act older than his age.
Today he is 14, 6'1" extremely smart, and mature. This summer ( he will be 15 ) is a way to earn money for a nicer car when he is 16 he will work with me. Or maybe he will find another job.

Was never assumed or desired he work for me, or take over.

I'd rather a kid stomp out their own path in life. If his was to take over for me then so be it. Not likely, and in fact I'd be disappointed as he is brilliant and I'm excited to see the path he stomps out.

Name
Jesse
I think it's a good idea to give him responsibility and teach him to work. The sooner the better, at some point you won't be able to make him. My stepfather taught me to be very good at doing things that I do not want to do. I think he did me the biggest favor he knew how and it has served me well.

My opinion is that finding the motivation to do more than "have to" is where most people come up short in life. I see many people struggling to be lazy because it's perceived by their mind as "easier".

That said, encourage him to do better. Don't let this be it for him. Give him some alternative ideas and motivation. Let him move in the direction that is right for him but teach what you can. Then if he stays in cc he may find it to be a passion rather than what he got stuck with.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
If I was a steam cleaner and if I had a son I would start to take him on jobs about the same time he started loosing interest in school or if he was not into the school thing. Then I would put a wand in his hand and just about the time his arms would start to go numb I would say to him. This is what happens to people that do not pay attention in school. I call this reality therapy.:yoda:I see it as my job to help my kid be all they can be and not be just cheap reliable labour.

Becker

Name
Becker
I look back to the chores I had, or the work I did around the house as a kid. I grew up rural, wood heat, cows, pigs, chickens.
If the house needed painting we painted it, hand dug post holes for the pasture, car repairs, putting up tons of hay, on and on.
Looking back I often feel I worked harder then as a kid..

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
My son is soft....really soft. I think it would be really good for him but don't want custys to see it as unpro. We have a heck of a time just getting him to brush his teeth!

The Clean Machine

Reactions: Mikey P

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
My 8 year old asks me if he can go to work with me all the time. Frankly I think he would rather go work with me then go to school. I wont take him to anything but an empty though.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I had five kids help, each was different. By the time they were 5 or 6 they had been with me on a few empties, 8 or 9 an occasional regular. Very well behaved, the old ladies LOVED them.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Pay him create a paper trail. In Iowa if you can prove he can do the work you can write it off. Get rid of the Pearl Jam shirts and make the little creep wear Clean Machine shirts. Before you know it he may be a Top 25er. Customers will love him if he is WORKING in their home. Also keep the Little Booger out of the teenage girls underware drawers.

Golden Boy

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Challenging, Incentive based pay scale clearly spelled out regarding his responsibilities.

Be careful not to push too hard and alienate him, as being 13 is not easy age as I remember it.

Make sure that he does not feel pressured or obligated to carry on in the business just because he works with you.

Most important, be his friend, and make his time spent with his dad fun.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
I loved being 13 checking out high school chicks thinking..... Ya man. Someday.

Waldo

Mikey P

Administrator
If I was a steam cleaner and if I had a son I would start to take him on jobs about the same time he started loosing interest in school or if he was not into the school thing. Then I would put a wand in his hand and just about the time his arms would start to go numb I would say to him. This is what happens to people that do not pay attention in school. I call this reality therapy.:yoda:I see it as my job to help my kid be all they can be and not be just cheap reliable labour.
Weekday could Jane been a great post turns into another bang on hwe.

It's no wonder everyone hates you.

Reactions: FB7777

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I was going out on a truck since I can't exactly remember the age....but I do remember being about 10 years of age and going out.

I thought it was fun just being out with my dad and the guys. Got lunch some days with them (or breakfast) and it was kind of cool making some money.

Now for me, my stepdaughters, especially my youngest, would come running to the van on Saturday's to work and just be with me. Once she and her sisters turned 16 years of age, got their drivers license and a car, I was really uncool to be around because they were off and running!

Then my daughters would need some occasional extra money and come back to the business. My middle step daughter was one of my lead techs for a couple years and she could do everything anyone else could. All 3 girls are an entire 100 pounds maybe sopping wet, but tough little buggers....and the homeowners love them!

I remember also that homeowners loved having myself or brothers in the house when we were young, but we would act professional because for some reason, we knew we were supposed too, and we wanted too...

I would hope that maybe the money (chance of earning some) could be a motivator at the beginning. Only time and you will know if it will work.

I can tell you this....that time with the kids does go fast (even though some days it doesn't seem like it can end...LOL).

Right now, our grandson is awesome, and we hope everyday can continue like that as he grows. (Having grandkids seems to be more fun the first generation too I have to say :) )

Best wishes with this and I really hope you can find a way to be with your son at this time and teach him some great skills.

I always said I wasn't going to be like my dad (carpet cleaner and music teacher)....I am more like him everyday. As he gets older though, dang, that is scary! Still not a bad thing and hopefully I can continue to learn something.

Again, best wishes. Could be a great opportunity and experience.

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I let him decide....I have been waiting forever on him and he finally approached me a few weeks ago and told me he wanted to give it a shot....

If I would of put him on the truck and he did not want to...it would of been a waste of my time and his....
I respect his honesty...I don't want him there if it is not for him...and who knows...once he starts...he may find out that it's not...
but we have a understanding...if this is not something he see that he wants to do...then he has to be honest with me and walk away....I don't want him screwing up everything I have accomplished....

If it is for him and I he thinks he can make a living doing this....the kid has it made....sooner or later ...he will not only get the golden egg.....but the entire goose....
all the hard work is done...company has been established...all equipment is almost all paid off.......all he has to do is step up to the plate and take control...

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I let him decide....I have been waiting forever on him and he finally approached me a few weeks ago and told me he wanted to give it a shot....

If I would of put him on the truck and he did not want to...it would of been a waste of my time and his....
I respect his honesty...I don't want him there if it is not for him...and who knows...once he starts...he may find out that it's not...
but we have a understanding...if this is not something he see that he wants to do...then he has to be honest with me and walk away....I don't want him screwing up everything I have accomplished....

If it is for him and I he thinks he can make a living doing this....the kid has it made....sooner or later ...he will not only get the golden egg.....but the entire goose....
all the hard work is done...company has been established...all equipment is almost all paid off.......all he has to do is step up to the plate and take control...

How old is your son Jim?

(and what are you and Mikey both doing up at 4 am? I thought I was an early riser!)

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

me and sleep have never been best of friends.....I get about 5 to 5.5 hours of sleep a night...been that way since high school........

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger

me and sleep have never been best of friends.....I get about 5 to 5.5 hours of sleep a night...been that way since high school........

I sleep all weird hours too...LOL!

Hope it works for you and your son as well Jim,

I know for us it has been rewarding having our son in law and youngest daughters boyfriend on board.

Making my life a lot better for the most part!

Mark

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
as long as he is honest with me...that's all I care about...I just don't want his doing something he has no interest in...It does not matter to me either way....if he does not like it then I will find someone to hand the keys to...or when the time comes...just shut it down......

I am pretty sure that I made it clear to him that when he gets in the truck he is not family....he is an employe...the only differance between him and someone else is that if he lies to me I can run him over with the truck and make another that looks just like him......

Chris A

Name
Chris
12 is when I started, worked every summer and 2-3 nights a week from then on, with a crew leader though, not my dad. I hated every second of it! It wasn't until I was about 19 that I started to see any real potential.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Personally, I haven't forced the issue. I'm kind of a control freak and the thought of having him on the truck and in someone's home scares me a little. Everything he is interested in costs more and more $. My wife stays at home with our boys and takes good care of them and the house. That doesn't leave the (almost) 13 year old with much to do to make $. When I grew up, both my parents worked outside of the house. My brothers and I had to pick up the slack around the house. We had responsibilities and were paid for them. I'm finding it difficult to find things for him to do that I'm willing to pay him for. Like I said before, he needs real direction when it comes to brushing his teeth.
Anyway, I just feel like I'm not doing him any favors by expecting so little and paying almost nothing. I want him to see the 2 are related and rise to the occasion. I'm trying to make him valuable to an employer, whoever that ends up being. At the moment, he'd rather watch a marathon of Cake Boss.

The Clean Machine

Reactions: kingjoelking

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Mine will work great on commercial jobs but he has a harder time in residential and wandering like he's in a store.
That and I had to tell him to leave his damn phone at home.

Likes the money for sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom