Which trailer?

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I currently have a fully loaded 2500 Savanna w/ a TNT that I no longer have any room inside to carry additional equipment. Since I also do restoration work, I wanted to haul a trailer whenever I got a flood call, this would only be used occasionally (it would not be attached to the van at all times). The trailer would need to have room to carry the equivalent of 5-10 min air movers, 2-4 dehus, debris, etc. Since I never towed a trailer before, I was not sure which one would be adequate and safe for my van to occasionally tow to/from a job.

Any recommendations on make, model, and size?

Thanks

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Hey Bill, how ya doin'? I don't think it really matters as the brand as any name brand should be built well. I'd be looking for something slightly used on craigslist or local trailer joint. But keep in mind that the shorter the trailer the harder they are to back up.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Sup Kevin! Things are good man, can't complain.

Thanks for the trailer tip, I've been looking at some but wasn't sure if the model made a difference.

John Buxton

I have had several trailers and I am going to save you thousands. Do not buy a trailer with a rubber roof. I have a Renegade 7 x 14 v-nose that is rotting away because the rubber roof leaked and rotted out the wood studs. I have $5,000 in this POS. Buy an all aluminum trailer without the wood studs and NO rubber roofs.

If you get a tandem wheel it will have brakes and that helps alot when loaded, or driving in the mountains. They are also easier to back.

Speaking of backing, place your hand on the bottom of your steering wheel and move your hand in the direction you want the trailer to go.

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
KevinL said:
But keep in mind that the shorter the trailer the harder they are to back up.
That is so true, I have pulled 28, 45, 48 and 53 foot trailers for years before I cleaned carpets and I still do pull 53 foot trailers a few times a week still, and They are so much easier to back in than my 10 foot trailer that I pull behind my van.

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
I second the tandem axle thought. GET one with brakes it will save your van brakes.

Look at the hardware closely. Good hinges/locks make a huge difference. BTW get a good locking system the day you buy the trailer. You'll want one that locks it to the van when in use and one that locks the tongue or the wheels when not in use.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I really appreciate all the feedback you guys have given. I really need to get a trailer in the next 1-2 weeks. Right now I can only get an used one. Would be nice if I can find something similar to Mark's (which looks great btw!).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom