Whittaker Trio - 1st impressions

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Other than buying my GLS I've never had to contact them.

Make sure you cover up any name on the machine because you know there are head janitors, building managers who will see it and buy their own.

And crystal dry is a good product, nice crisp CLEAR polymers that reflect light.

But those little 8 ox bottles are expensive.

And Randy Royer revealed that DSC's SPIN VAC is the same product and sold in GALLONS.

If you don't want to break it keep it off of residential carpet use it only on commercial.

Reactions: Derek

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
This is a very helpful thread. Thank you guys.
Derek, let us know your thoughts on the Whittaker once you've put it to months of work. Be very interesting to see how it holds up and how well it performs. Both on its own and in comparison to the Cimex.

Also. I'd very much like to know, how the Whittaker performs and hold up compared to the Clark?

Anybody here use both or the Clark regularly?

How well does it work and hold up?

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
idk if Clark's has the renovator tray(s).

maybe someone can assist me: is it possible i could attach a different jet so that the spray would reach further?

i know next to nothing about jet's.

**EDIT** i risned the sol system with water and put my hand along both edges of the brush while squeezing the trig, it DOES reach both edges. perhaps a higher flow jet would help (tx for the idea Con.) a 2nd jet would be perfect. either way, this machine is great so far. i can't complain.

Last edited:

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Whittaker doesn't make anything they import them from Austria.

i hate to 1-up you James but ...
jpg.gif

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
ok cool, tx for the idea Ron. now i just gotta learn how to do that stuff :lol:

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
hi Todd, yea i kept it. love it on CGD, it's all i've used to clean with since i kept it.

i tried it on a Frieze at my cousin's home 2 weeks ago. presprayed heavy with multisprayer to make sure there was plenty of lubrication. put the 2nd softest brushes on it (gray). it did the same thing to me that it did on my dry plush a couple months back...bogged down and when it would spin, it would drive me backwards.

spoke with Joe & Ron @ Whittaker and they sent me an empty return box with return UPS labels for the Trio's base, which i shipped out last Monday (i didn't have to pay for any shipping, nice!). they tested it and found that with stiff brushes on a plush, it would work by letting the handle back slightly and allowing the brushes to hit full speed, then lowering the handle to set the brushes on carpet...maybe i was setting it down too fast.?. i spoke with another CC'er from the forums and he said something to the fact that some CRB's have to be tilted slightly and eventually they'll get to spinning on thicker plush/Friezes. the one time it bogged down on that Frieze, i noticed there was a small amount of give in the carpet, i think it wasn't stretched fully and that could be part of the problem. because when i clean a loose mat it will gobble it up with the stiffer brushes, and the motor will stop for about a second and then re-attempt to spin, then stop for a second, etc... i think it is a safety feature to prevent stripping gears.?.

Ron told me 30 minutes ago that on Friday they shipped out a new Trio base for me. great custy service, i wasn't expecting that. i'll play with it on my plush. i am interested to see how it does on resi carpet, just going to use it at 1st as a prescrub to OP.

either way, i bought it for CGD and the results have been beyond my expectations. i just wanted a backup machine for the uber-rare instance of a warranty issue. if it worked good enough, i'd use it for all newer carpet because of that. ends up i use it on all CGD carpet because it gives great results, great investment.

the places where this 25" monster is lacking is of course in tighter cubes & offices. under desks is the main issue. it's so wide it won't go straight under many of them, you have to clean it sideways kinda, and it wont get very far under them. the 15" model (which is 20" wide) is better suited for this. my 19" Cimex fits under all desks.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
one thing i am not used to is the under-carriage HAS to be cleaned after every job...brushes taken off and underneath them wiped down. if not, the debris dries and it makes it harder to remove the axles to flip the brushes, which i do after every job since i already have them in hand. after doing it 10-20 times now, it takes me all of 2 minutes to do.

not a bad thing, since it forces me to actually keep it clean :p

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i'd buy a 15" Trio.

no idea what is best for you, but that is for me.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Randy i read you use the Black brushes on your Trio. do you have the Blue brushes? they're all i use, i recommend them! my Blacks stay on the shelf.

since i got my Trio back from Whitt, it runs a lot stronger. haven't tried it on resi plush yet but so far on CGD there isn't the occasional hesitation to start that the old base had.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i would not. i still have it but haven't used it since once in the Winter. 1 Client had such bad ice-melt residue that i then used the Trio to work in Hydrox at a super high dilution (very low pH.) i felt that would work the Hydrox in better than the Cimex.

there are some that like using the machine though. i will keep mine for backup to the Cimex, or if i ever run into that mythical situation of carpet warranty issues.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom