Whittaker Trio - 1st impressions

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
it's BIG! i got the 20" model.

apparently, this is a company that, unlike others, doesn't over-exaggerate their dimensions. the brush roll is actually 20 and one quarter inches. this model is 25" wide overall.

i will run it tomorrow for a CGD client's quarterly hall cleaning.

i ran it dry on my bedroom plush just to make sure it powered up. it doesn't have an on/off switch, you just lower the handle by pushing down the "toe" lever and it turns on. i think they should have a safety switch for that maybe on the handle.

so i lowered the handle and it threw me backwards into the wall lol. because the new brushes are so stiff and there was no lubrication (i ran it dry) i guess that is what i get. the bristles are polypropylene, so it isn't recommended that you run them on concrete to soften them. with a demo model i won't do that anyways in case i ship it back. i couldn't raise the handle to turn it off (or it would drive me backwards) so i had to unplug it. definitely a learning curve, hopefully it is a small one but i'll find out tomorrow.

so far the only bad thing i can see, and it could be a big one, is that about 2.25" on both ends of the machine are not cleanable. so along a wall you can't get to that area to clean unless you turn the machine 90 degrees because on the front of the machine, the brush roll is there and cleans up to that edge. but in a hallway?? turning the machine 90 degrees in both directions for hundreds of feet?? idk about that...

the youtube video of it is obviously the 15" model. this 20" model is a beast and is more solid than it appeared on Youtube. it has some stainless on it which adds to the weight. the box had some gouges on the corners after UPS delivered it. i video taped the unveiling but Whittaker had some super high impact Styrofoam on all corners of the box, so it was well protected.

it will be taking up a bigger footprint in the rear of my van than i had anticipated :headbang:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Sounds cool, the think I don't like about the other CRB's is they seems so wimpy, almost home owner light weight. Edges can be difficult with the Cimex too, how do you deal with them with it?

Pay no attention to bacon breath!

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
well i figured it doubles as a pile lifter, so they work dry :confused:

the more i think about the edge thing the less it bothers me. like you brought out Richard, with a Cimex there is a gap, albeit much less. we prevac thoroughly so should be good to go. with edges that have spots or are in obvious need of cleaning, then we'll just have to turn it the 90 degrees and clean it. that shouldn't be too terribly often.

on some of our accounts, the offices are so tight that once in a while i can't get the Cimex behind a desk so i have to move the desk. i figured this would be light enough to move with ease but i don't think so now. i thought it was supposed to be 65 pounds but the serial/model # plate says 75...nice. it's a little awkward to lift. no worries about it being light weight at least.

i'll post pix in a minute.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Trio4.jpg

Trio3.jpg

Trio5.jpg

Trio1.jpg

Trio6.jpg

Trio2.jpg

Trio7.jpg

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
wheels are pretty low-profile. not the best for wheeling up steps, but it isn't designed to be a resi machine anyways i reckon. still seems a little too low-profile to me.

in the pic of the 3 brushes you can see the "landing gear" to protect the brushes. the gear drops down when the handles goes into the upright position.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Derek For the edges just get yourself a good back pack vacuum with a 2 stage vacuum motor. I have 3 sanitaires and they are powerfull and quiet. Put the crevice tool on the wand and that will allow you to scrub out the edges and make the carpet stand up and look fresh. You will be amazed at how much crap you pick up. It will look freshly cleaned if you do it like this.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
tx Mardie. we do have a Sandia and use it a few times a year. but my wife's job is the pre-vac on CGD, she wands ALL edges.

i'd hate to step on her toes. i'm thoughtful that way.

just for some of those accounts that seem to religiously pour coffee down walls onto the edges of the carpet, then i can use my standup brush and a hand towel to clean it up by hand i reckon.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
good reminder for sure. i tore a phone wire out of the wall at one client's place...with the Cimex. nothing since (6 years ago)

looking at the pics above don't do it justice as to it's size. every time i walk in my kitchen i stop and stare at it. it's footprint is bigger than the Cimex, idk if it'll be useful in offices & cubes.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Nice looking machine. Hope it makes you lots of $$

Be interesting to see how it performs and what you think about it after you've worked more time with it. Also how well it holds up after some serious work and length of time.
So, please keep us informed.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
good reminder for sure. i tore a phone wire out of the wall at one client's place...with the Cimex. nothing since (6 years ago)

looking at the pics above don't do it justice as to it's size. every time i walk in my kitchen i stop and stare at it. it's footprint is bigger than the Cimex, idk if it'll be useful in offices & cubes.

20 inch offices and cubes ? don't see it happening. 15 inch would be your most flexible all around machine. The 20 inch will totally suck on uneven concrete with cgd. I tested a 24 inch brush machine an found the size took away any advantage due to it being so hard to handle, it was only good in wide open areas and that does not include corridors. Just give this one a wirl and without hesitation if you are not happy send it back and get them to send a 15 inch. for demo. Good Luck and am looking forward to your reveiws

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Solution tank is leaking where it enters the base, they're shipping me a new tank. Hopefully they extend my demo time. Had to bring the Cimex in to do the job.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Good idea Richard. I need to get this job done though, that would be too slow. I need to measure its production rates to.

Ron called me and apologized for the inconvenience, he is shipping me a new adapter to install on the tank. He said not to worry about the time-frame for the demo and said he's sending more Crystal Dry as well. Great custy service so far, can't complain at all.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Smart man, especially with you voicing your experience on the boards. Poor customer service at this point could sink more than a few machines sales.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
the trailer is slanted.

it is in fact off-level, at least a couple feet the length of it.

and it's a MOBILE HOME get it right!

actually, the more PC term is Manufactured Home :icon_cool:

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
After you've done some testings, I would like to know the following:

What is the out the door price on the Trio?

How does the Trio compares to the regular whittakers?

Does it cover more square footage and or does it do a better job getting the floors cleaned?

How does it compare the Cimex? As far as sqft coverage and cleaning ability?

Can it really replace a Cimex if it cleans just as good if not better?

By using the Trio, is it better to use the dry compound vs Encap for commercial or does it make any difference? (I ask the question due to the trays).

Since the Cimex leaves swirls on some carpets, has this been an issue w/ some of y'alls accounts? Will the Trio/Whittaker eliminate this?

Thanks,
Bill

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
hi Bill,

i don't know all of the answers yet but i'll post some in green below for ya.

After you've done some testings, I would like to know the following:

What is the out the door price on the Trio? http://www.whittakerstore.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=009&DEPT=000001&CAT=000016&BACK=A0007A1B0000001B1

How does the Trio compares to the regular whittakers? i've never tried the other Whittaker's. Randy might have an answer for you on that one.

Does it cover more square footage and or does it do a better job getting the floors cleaned? i don't know about it's speed or cleaning results yet, i'll post after i use it next Saturday. better than what though?

How does it compare the Cimex? As far as sqft coverage and cleaning ability? same as above. most of us are thinking that it can't compare to the Cimex for restorative encap cleaning, time will tell.

Can it really replace a Cimex if it cleans just as good if not better? IF it can, absolutely.

By using the Trio, is it better to use the dry compound vs Encap for commercial or does it make any difference? (I ask the question due to the trays). the Trio isn't meant for a dry compound that i am aware of. i think they only want Crystal Dry / encap to be run though it. it has 1 tray for debris that is scrubbed out of the carpet.

Since the Cimex leaves swirls on some carpets, has this been an issue w/ some of y'alls accounts? Will the Trio/Whittaker eliminate this? not for me, i'd like to think my clients like the temporary swirls as i do. but i never ask and so far they don't mention it. it doesn't leave temporary swirls on all carpet. i reckon other Cimex users get asked to remove the swirls about as often as wand users get asked to remove their triangular wand patterns.

Thanks,
Bill

Reactions: tmdry

Latest posts

Latest Auctions

Back
Top Bottom