who agrees that wand and killer wand technique makes for at least 75%

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I tend to agree with both you and Dan

if using the juices available today in prescribed manner, most problems are due to poor wand technique.

the wand de jour and squirt box may make one more efficient, but when you know WTH you're doing, they're not the critical component to quality

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Papa John

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Its just like shoveling dirt or pushing a broom. If you do it wrong, its going to look bad.

Its amazing that something so elementary and remedial really isn’t. If you never learn the proper techniques you’re handicapped and don’t even know it.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Running dual wands makes all the difference in the world because you can slow down to properly do your job, as you are only doing half of the cleaning, on just about every job!

Name
Lee Stockwell
As I look back at a typical month of work I seldom see a job that would benefit from a second wand and all its hoses and paraphernalia, more than more efficient use of the first wand.

In fact it would be a circus in most cases. An average job takes under an hour, I 'd hate to hurry that.

sassyotto

Name
Paul
I just did a job on Friday that was done by another cleaner for years. Berber. She told me she always had it cleaned on a Tuesday so that she could have it dry by Friday. He has a Prochem Apex and I have a Titan 575 (basically the same machine) Since she was concerned about drying times, I left two air movers and picked them up later that day. She said the carpet was dry 1 hour after I left. only thing I can think of is maybe his wand technique was different.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I just did a job on Friday that was done by another cleaner for years. Berber. She told me she always had it cleaned on a Tuesday so that she could have it dry by Friday. He has a Prochem Apex and I have a Titan 575 (basically the same machine) Since she was concerned about drying times, I left two air movers and picked them up later that day. She said the carpet was dry 1 hour after I left. only thing I can think of is maybe his wand technique was different.
Some guys don't do any dry passes. Some use very high flows. Some never clean their filters or change their belts until they break.

Reactions: Zaccattack95
F

FB7777

I bet the previous cleaner had this on the side of his truck

18E29C30-F38C-4BA8-88D6-D56EC0DCDCAE.png

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
He probably learned how to clean carpet from utube and made those pretty triangles. Little did he know, the triangles are supposed to be made while doing dry passes, not wet passes.

Or he just never vacuumed the carpet, and all his filters were clogged up

Either way...that's how our industry gets laughed at and the dirty "whole house for $99" stays in the back of our customers' mind

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
As I look back at a typical month of work I seldom see a job that would benefit from a second wand and all its hoses and paraphernalia, more than more efficient use of the first wand.

In fact it would be a circus in most cases. An average job takes under an hour, I 'd hate to hurry that.
Believe me, if running dual wands didn't work as well as I say it does I would not be doing it. Now the trick is getting a system that will really supply 2 wands with no heat, pressure or vac loss, without breaking the bank.

2 sets of hoses, 2 wands, and no extra paraphernalia. We have a system for setting up and tearing down which works quite well for us.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Could be pOrKhOLE!

But gentleman it's all about how you approach your wand. Usually it's better in the morning when you are fresh from a good night's sleep.
And on that first job..................you grab it with ............intent!
Hold on to it's handle.............tightly.............then slowly ............push...forward ....squeezing...it's trigger. And at the end of the push stroke.........pull it back to it's base. And repeat over and over again.

There is no better feeling in the world!
And you know it's going to be a good day!

GASP!

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Macy and I had our flow going on the dual wand. We would regularly do it and it saved a ton of time. I do miss the production of a helper. Maybe after this Covid thing passes I'll hire someone again.

Reactions: Bob Savage

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The main thing is knowing what is happening under the wand and developing an eye for dirt. Experienced carpets cleaners control the speed of the wand, how much solution they're putting down, then picking up according to the condition of the carpet. You learn to know when it's a clean as it's going to get. I remember years ago, I sold an old Bobcat to another carpet cleaner. He had used mainly portables up to that point. I demonstrated it at one of his customers, which was an insurance office. I did a little bit, then passed the wand to him to try. Using the same prespray, the same flow, his area was not as clean looking as mine. He was confused but it's just the difference between knowing what you're doing and trying to copy what your're seeing. Of course it's always to have your scrubbing tools handy but proper wanding can take care of most situations with a little patience.

• Eyeroll
Reactions: Jimmy L

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage

Your jobs must be pretty small then for you to get done in an hour, but there is nothing wrong with that.

• Haha
Reactions: hogjowl
Name
Lee Stockwell
Your jobs must be pretty small then for you to get done in an hour, but there is nothing wrong with that.
4 or 5 rooms with a 2 person team easily in an hour without hurrying. It's a carefully practiced team effort that keeps the wand moving smoothly.

The 870 can dual, but usually only on big projects or the largest restaurants etc.

The WM dual wands because it has entirely independent blowers and waste tanks. Still more efficient single wanding.

The 405s were once advertised as dual capable, but that's a stretch with a single 47 blower. I only do that on big upholstery jobs.

Anyone "dual wanding" from a single 45 has lower expectations.

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom