Winter Use For Vortex/AT............

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
If this cab-over Ford (same style as a UD) had a V or an AT box on it, you could plow and clean all Winter long..............

He loads a couple ton's of salt in the back for traction. I'm sure a V or AT with full tanks would add a bit of weight.

vortex2.jpg

vortex1.jpg

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Commercial plowing beats the shit out of most front ends and trannys, not sure someone would want to beat on their bread and butta.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
considering they have all sorts of other issues anyway...

Lets add one more

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
A better idea... mount a judson in a low profile box using the mitzubishi Fuso cab over 4x4 option. and bamm.. plowing carefully isn't going to be any worse than driving around loaded to the teeth with water weight, plus tools.

One cool option I've seen offered is a cargo system for any cab over truck and use a replaceable platform option for the back. You could have a carbo box with the truckmount and a flatbed with salter. The platforms utilize a rolling chassis with several secure lock points and utilize RV style lighting so plugging eletrical lights is simple.

As a plow guy.. I've mulled the idea over in the past. :mrgreen:

End result.. its easier to have two trucks!

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
rwcarpet said:
If this cab-over Ford (same style as a UD) had a V or an AT box on it, you could plow and clean all Winter long..............

He loads a couple ton's of salt in the back for traction. I'm sure a V or AT with full tanks would add a bit of weight.

vortex2.jpg

vortex1.jpg

Ford LCf are very well built and a lOt stronger than Ud or Isuzus.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree Michael but even then it would need weight on the rear and a manual tranny.

Ours with the automatic wouldn't do it, it would spin too much.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I plow with my buddy sometimes during big storms..
The overall size and maneuverability of a plow vehicle will dictate the size and layout of the jobs that can be done with it.
Not going to be knocking out little driveways, and zipping around tight gas stations with a beast like that.
Going to have to be doing some BIG lots with that thing.

Slow and steady is the key to no abusing your equipment.
It's about fighting the urge to rush, and "muscle" the snow too much, especially if its wet and heavy.
Unless your already in the plow business, it could be an expensive learning curve with a Vortex strapped in the back.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
plowing carefully isn't going to be any worse than driving around loaded to the teeth with water weight, plus tools.

not too sure about that, Sweendoggie
(good to see you back, BTW)

'cept for stopping , pushing snow would be more akin to pulling a trailer...with a brake dragging.....

once you get a heavy load that's inside a truck rolling, it's not near as hard on the drivetrain as dragging the same load behind it on a trailer.
That's why fuel mileage takes a big hit when pulling a trailer compared to same wt inside a truck.
It's not all aerodynamics

no two ways about it, even careful snow pushing is a LOT harder on a truck than hauling a heavy load .
'less you were constantly stopping and starting , forward and reverse in the Taco Bell parking lot all day

I reckon the dude with the plow in the pic is a landscRaper .
Ain't no grass growing or beds to mulch in the winter up here...gotta do sump'um to keep the lite bill paid ...

speakin' of pushing snow, the dudes up here that contract a price for the season are making out like fat cats .."so far"
the dudes that get paid by the push gotta be hurting ...couple/three good snows is all we've had so far

..L.T.A.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
lol thanks meat, time doesn't always allow me on as often as I would like it seems.

As for plowing, I'm just passing along my experience. Like goomer said, not beating up your vehicle is the key to any situation.

My plow trucks seems to take less wear than the clean van does.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom