Would this make sense to winterize?

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
If someone ran a hose from their solution outlet, into their garden hose inlet, with a waterbox full of anti-freeze.....

Run the machine at low PSI, and get everything safe for winter?

I am restricted (garage door height) to get a van inside. Running a space heater would cost hundreds per month. If I just pop off the solution reel, take the wands and tools inside, and winterize it, I should be able to leave it parked outside.

Thoughts?

Doug Rice

Supportive Member
It's not hundreds a month to run a couple of small heaters. I run antifreeze in mine but I still keep 1 or 2 small heaters going to protect everything else. I don't unload the van so it will be ready to work if I need it. I just run the RV antifreeze through all the water and chemical systems. I place on heater close to my supply pump and one in the very back of van. I have an older HM4.7 and it seems to work out for the last few years. It took a couple of times to figure a system out but now it takes me about 10 minutes to winterize it. When I am ready to use it I try to drain as much of the coolant out as I can to reuse and then turn on the pump to flush it out.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Ross Buettner said:
If someone ran a hose from their solution outlet, into their garden hose inlet, with a waterbox full of anti-freeze.....

Run the machine at low PSI, and get everything safe for winter?

I am restricted (garage door height) to get a van inside. Running a space heater would cost hundreds per month. If I just pop off the solution reel, take the wands and tools inside, and winterize it, I should be able to leave it parked outside.

Thoughts?

Man.....I bet you get a freezin' ass winter up there. I know how cold it gets around NE Ohio. I couldn't imagine having to winterize evry time you put the van away. Are there any car repair shops around that you could make a deal with to keep your van inside their shop at nite?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Doug you made it through last winter with no problems like that?

I had one we freeze up while the guys were on a WDR loss.

It was one we don't freeze protect because it comes inside and they use it for sewage clean up. However I think we are going to freeze protect all the WDR trucks this year.

davep105

Name
Dave Pires
Having good insulation in the van is important too. I use one small heater and it works fine. If its going to be really cold like under 10 degrees I will run two heaters. If I'm slower with work for the week I will run the rv antifreeze through the system. My electric bill goes up around 50 or 60 for those few colder months.

L

lvcarpetcleaner

I am so glad I'm in Nevada, we don't run into those issues.

A friend of mine once tried what you were suggesting, and the unit did not survive the hook up, so please be very careful.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
insulate it good and run the heaters....and of course keep an eye on it....

now if you are in an area where power goes out all the time then ok i see it....

but it is not hundreds to run that heater....even if it ran 24hrs a day...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom