Would you clean 2 rooms for $15 ?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I don't get businesses using Groupon.

Without having any ads ons this company would have to do 40 jobs(at least 1 hour per job w/driving) to equal the one job I did this morning in less than 3 hours.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/interior-d ... er%23voice

I think cleaning at these rates just brings down the entire carpet cleaning industry (cleaning for Groupon scraps). It's already bad that a lot of rates are the same as they were 20 years ago.

Fighting my way to the bottom of the pay scale is not a game I want to play.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Re: Would you clean 2 rooms for $30 ?

the fine print

New clients only; not valid if used services in past 9 months. Valid for up to 250 sq ft. Not valid for furniture moving. Not valid for wool or Persian-style carpets. Valid only in Lincoln.

I don't know anything about marketing ...but..
sounds like a better idea than the "free room" gig to get new custys .

The dude's at least covering his costs (possibly) to get his foot in the door

..L.T.A.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name

Actually that 30 bucks is 15 if I understand this correctly.. wont groupon take half of that 30?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

Dave Yoakum said:
this company would have to do 40 jobs to equal the one job I did this morning in less than 3 hours.

Is that why your custy retention SUCKS so bad*
cause you're way over priced for the market?
$1200 bukz for "less than" 3 hours work ...OVER $400 an hour gross
(We know you don't dual wand and are a one truck O/Op with a wingman)

*presumption on custy retention is based on your numerous posts of how many new custys you get every month due to your fantaBulous free marketing fo-evah and 'net presence .
If you kept just half the new custys you claim, you couldn't keep up with one truck

..L.T.A.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning

The only way to do it would be to use Robison's method and send in chimp to spin a rag. Who cares if they expect a steam cleaning? They already paid for the service, so just give em a song and a dance and a jiggle. Groupon blows.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

Through the years we have noticed a few discrepancies or shall we say flights of fancy, in Dave's statements. Somehow they do not quite add up to the normal universe's accepted mathematical reality.

And who better to point them out than Larry 'no bullshit' Capitoni.

We have even grown to love them (unless of course you are PFred.)

To answer your question Dave: No, I wouldn't.

But Brian will in a heart bit and Ken will even make a profit.
I don't know about Lisa, you'll have to ask her, walk gingerly though.

..L.T.A :p :shock:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

Art Kelley said:
The only way to do it would be to use Robison's method and send in chimp to spin a rag. Who cares if they expect a steam cleaning? They already paid for the service, so just give em a song and a dance and a jiggle. Groupon blows.

For that price Art.....?
Just a jiggle + travel time.

B

Bill G. Martin

This cleaner uses the Host system.....and that stuff ain't cheap......

Bill in Central Florida

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow

Sorry ofer, even I don't clean at that price point not to mention giving half to groupon. But I am not just starting out~ if I was I could see groupon being an effective way to kick start a client base.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum

meAt said:
Dave Yoakum said:
this company would have to do 40 jobs to equal the one job I did this morning in less than 3 hours.

Is that why your custy retention SUCKS so bad*
cause you're way over priced for the market?
$1200 bukz for "less than" 3 hours work ...OVER $400 an hour gross
(We know you don't dual wand and are a one truck O/Op with a wingman)

*presumption on custy retention is based on your numerous posts of how many new custys you get every month due to your fantaBulous free marketing fo-evah and 'net presence .
If you kept just half the new custys you claim, you couldn't keep up with one truck

..L.T.A.

The job was $600 (Groupon keeps 1/2) Only $200 and hour. Because I gave the client over a $100 discount. It was by no means over priced. Large house. The Husband and wife were both doctors and they had Teflon and Anti-allergen on the entire carpet. The price should of been much more.

It still beats doing 40 of those Groupon specials for $15.00 each.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

Bill G. Martin said:

true that, Bill

pretty expensive pr bucket-O-"sponges"

I'm not a groupon kind of guy.
and no I wouldn't clean 250sf for $30 bucks .(12 cents sf)
(I could make a profit @ 12 cents on large open jobs though)

I do wonder if it wouldn't be a good way to get your foot in many doors to "strut your stuff"

..L.T.A.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum

meAt said:
Bill G. Martin said:

true that, Bill

pretty expensive pr bucket-O-"sponges"

I'm not a groupon kind of guy.
and no I wouldn't clean 250sf for $30 bucks .(12 cents sf)
(I could make a profit @ 12 cents on large open jobs though)

I do wonder if it wouldn't be a good way to get your foot in many doors to "strut your stuff"

..L.T.A.

Remember that Groupon gets half. So it becomes 2 rooms for $15.

Subtract the price for gas a sponges He might as well clean for free and make it up in volume!! shiteatinggrin

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

Art Kelley said:

Art, You're the only one who is expecting "steam cleaning".

My customers expect "clean" and that's what I give them.

:mrgreen:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Brian R said:

Did you see my comment to your facebook?

" Maybe Obama can use Groupon and health care can be half price and doctors can get 25% of their normal fees.(that will give us the cream of the crop) Think how fast and rushed your visit will be. We can all be misdiagnosed and needles, latex gloves and bandages will be used over again to save costs. Discounts and deals can come at a great cost to the consumer. Paying less and receiving less from businesses' treading water to stay alive, can be no deal at all."

I just wondered how they would like it if these expectations of discounts were expanded to healthcare.

Or even their own job. How would they like it to get paid 25% of their current pay and benefits?

Zee

Supportive Member
Name

Dave Yoakum said:

I guess I remembered before you Dave.. So now you changed your subject line to 15 bucks instead of 30... therefore my first comment to this thread looks like I'm an idiot. Thanks.

Just to clear myself- the thread subject was first " Would you clean 2 rooms for $30?" and that was what I responded earlier.

You know Dave, the more I read your comments, the more I think something is fishy..

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum

Zalan Szabo (zee) said:
[quote="Dave Yoakum":22k461dc]

I guess I remembered before you Dave.. So now you changed your subject line to 15 bucks instead of 30... therefore my first comment to this thread looks like I'm an idiot. Thanks.

Just to clear myself- the thread subject was first " Would you clean 2 rooms for $30?" and that was what I responded earlier.

You know Dave, the more I read your comments, the more I think something is fishy..[/quote:22k461dc]

Sorry for the change.

I was trying to make the title more exact after you called it to attention.

Several were still posting as the offer was $30 for 2 rooms to the cleaner.

Cleaning at these rates ( whether $15 or 30 for 2 rooms)are bad for the entire industry.

Why do cleaners sink to the bottom dollar as a way to attract quality clients?

Are they really that desperate?

Being busy and broke is not a good business model.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
ACE said:
What kind of carpet cleaning gigs did you do when you were starting out Dave?

It was almost 30 years ago. We used to call through the phone book to get jobs. I think one room was $50 and $20 for additional rooms. Commercial was .10-.15sq ft. Thirty years later some cleaners are charging not that much more than that.

At one time I had 10 telemarketers calling 6 days a week. It was a very expensive way to develop new clients. But, it was common practice at the time.

Lesson learned. Just don't do something because everyone else is doing it.

Test, test test and do what fits your demographics/ goals and has a great ROI!!

Now I get a mix of clients from Google Places, my referral group sources ( Just got a new referral group with 2500 members last week), client referrals and past clients.

In the past I also paid the yelow pages $1000 a month for 20 years. Now I don't pay them a dime.

As far as advertising this is a greaty time to be in biz. You can now level the playing field and get great visibliaty and buzz for peanuts.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Dave Yoakum said:
It was almost 30 years ago. We used to call through the phone book to get jobs. I think one room was $50 and $20 for additional rooms. Commercial was .10-.15sq ft. Thirty years later some cleaners are charging not that much more than that.

Sad, but true. So, how are you able to establish a good value for your service when you have to be charging double your competitors for comparable work?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
ACE said:
Dave Yoakum said:
quote]

Sad, but true. So, how are you able to establish a good value for your service when you have to be charging double your competitors for comparable work?

My prices are not double. But most client don't choose my company based on price and they get a lot done. ($300 job average which is good for the midwest)

Look at my job sources for your answer..

Google Places- I have more positive reviews by far that the rest in my area. Every cleaner can boast that they are the best. But, when a prospect can read raving reviews from clients that had similar problems that I solved it carries a lot of weight.

My group referral sources- I am recommended by their group and the prospect usually had heard good things about my company or by other group members before they call me. They have trust, confidence and are my best friend before I even meet them. How could they not be great clients.

Client referrals - Many of the same things as listed above.They have trust, confidence and are my best friend before I even meet them.

And then past client- They become old friends and I'm often called part of their family.

These ways of advertising cost very little and it works by letting others open the door to promote my business for me.

Isn't it better to be introduced by a friend of a stranger that to barge into their door out of the blue?

It makes life and business much easier. I'm spoiled.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Boy oh boy Dave I am not going to point out all your discrepencies. I am tired from working so much, where is Pfred Boyle when you need him

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
XTREME1 said:
Boy oh boy Dave I am not going to point out all your discrepencies. I am tired from working so much, where is Pfred Boyle when you need him

Greg the king of pointing fingers and finding hidden meanings and discrepancies as a way to derail a post while building up his self esteem.

I said I did a job in a few hours that was the same as 40 $15 Groupons specials and I posted my job sources.

How is that a problem,shows discrepancies or why should you care?

Is that the voices in your head talking?

At least he's consistant.

Not back to the subject.

Would you clean 2 rooms for $15.00?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
for an old lady with no money absolutely. I was at a home in humarock last week and the woman was 100 yrs old and I made it a policy to never charge anyone over 100 yrs old

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
XTREME1 said:
for an old lady with no money absolutely. I was at a home in humarock last week and the woman was 100 yrs old and I made it a policy to never charge anyone over 100 yrs old
What does that have to do with anything?

Are you trying to corner the market on centurions?

Or is is penance for your past transgressions?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Dave, you did not do the equivalent of 40 $15.00 Groupon specials because they seldom end up being that price at the end of the job.

Not sure how I can make people understand that.

Just sayin.

I know what you were sayin.

But I am sayin something more.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I clarified that in the first post.

"Without having any ads ons this company would have to do 40 jobs(at least 1 hour per job w/driving) to equal the one job I did this morning in less than 3 hours."

F

FB7777

XTREME1 said:
I've grown tired of pointing out the obvious Greg

Dave claims a huge business back in the day and now runs a one man molester mobile that ran cheap coupon type web offers less than a year ago.

From 16 employees to one??? Where's all the goodwill and reputation built up over those years to sustain at least a couple of trucks????

The real way to consistent profitabilty is consistent growth over time through repeat, referral, solid web presence and if you are community conscious you should be generating a ton of business in your own backyard.

If you aren't aware by now that Brokum is completely full of crap and doesn't walk the walk he aspouses to on here you are a bigger jackass than him.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom