Would you do a free demo for this guy?

Name
Evets
He lives in the richest neighborhood in Athens,Ga.

Guy calls and says "Last guy couldn't get it as clean as I wanted (2 years ago). If you are willing to come here and get the stains out that he couldn't get out,we will use your company to clean the rest of the house. So,you come out and clean using your method,then we will give it a couple of days to see what happens and we can go from there. Otherwise,I'm just going to replace the carpet and no one in your industry will get any money from me."

I swear that's exactly what the guy said.
First of all,the last guy that couldn't get the stains out is the second best cleaner around here,and I recommend his company when we can't do it. And THAT was 2 years ago.

Secondly, I don't normally do residential demos.

Thirdly, I don't now if ANYONE could please this guy. I think since he is rich he likes to make people jump thru hoops. I don't jump. Too old.

I just told him that I could come out and look at it and give him an opinion whether or not it could be cleaned. Stated my credentials and experience. Suppose to see him tomorrow.

I know that alot of people do demos,I just don't.
My guarantee should be enough.

Do Pest Control companies do demos?
Landscapers?
Electricians?
Mechanics?

Any other business other than CCing.
I've never done one,and not going to start for this guy.

What say you?

Name
I'm Rick James
Re: Would you do a free demo this guy?

I wouldnt do a demo. Go look at it and give him your opinion and estimate. He may be more of a headache than he's worth. You could tell him you are gonna get it fresh and clean as its gonna get. Its not your fault he cant maintain his carpet. So what happen if you do the job and he still has stains and wear, is he gonna talk trash about your company too. If he doesnt like what you have to say, then tell him "well this is what you should of done years ago so it doesnt get to this point". You can surgar coat it too. :D .

I hate these customers that blame the cleaner because of the results and doesnt take ownership of their own mistakes.

:mrgreen:

P.s if the rich bastard wants a demo CHARGE HIM. :wink:

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan

I'd tell him you don't appreciate being suckered into a pissing contest with another carpet cleaner you have a lot of respect for and have a good working professional relationship with.

I wouldn't go out there and try to impress him with a free demo either.. sounds like he made it clear, he's NEVER impressed. I've met some real down to earth wealthy people and then I've met some real jerks. They just like to rub your face in it... and act all, Donald Trump on you.

Let him tear up his carpets.. then give him your business card for tile and grout cleaning and wood floor resurfacing. :mrgreen:

It's a toss up but I wouldn't stick my neck out too far.. but that's me.. imagine what he'll say to the next guy if you don't meet his standards!
Good luck,

Willy P

Name
Willy P

The words KISS MY ASS leap to mind. :D However, I would give him an estimate. Sometimes when you tame a lion, you have some good security. Some of my best customers are the ones who were hard to please.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley

You did the right thing. Swing by and meet him and have a look.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

You could charge a nominal fee that applies towards the cleaning if he decides to have the rest cleaned.

If he agrees he's not out anything, if he doesn't then you were probably better off without his grief! :wink:

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell

It sounds like a load of SH*t.

Even if he wants a demo why the hell would anyone go remove all his stains?

Go remove half a stain in the traffic area then charge his A$$ to remove the rest of it.

Come give me a demo and clean my house, if you do a good job I will hire you next year to clean my closets.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.

I agree with the go there and meet him, let him know what to expect but I would not do a demo. I would probably also charge a good 25% or more higher than my normal rate figuring on the return trip that you'll probably end up making.

ScottM

Name
Scott Moody

Joey is right on track, because if you do the job, you will be back.

Unless there is a radical change in his outlook when you go and to the inspection/analysis, you might want to pass on the job. Trust you 'gut' feeling. Everytime I ignored that lil voice saying 'don't you @#@$@# do this' and I ignored it, I was very, very sorry.

As far a demos, we offer a 3'x3' demo (for cleaning appoints, not just to go out for a demo) prior to starting the cleaning job. Of course that 3x3 spot always cuts the bad spot/area in half, so they can SEE the difference before we start any work.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny

He wants you to set up, clean, and wait a couple days to set up again to clean the rest? I'd charge him my regular rate for the first cleaning and explain it will cost him more if I do it in two trips.

With the effort you will spend trying to please him, you could find more rational customers.

rhyde

Name
rhyde

I'd pass!

This is wrong on so many levels ….business doesn’t work this way.

He wants you to spend your time and money for free to fix his problem....spots /stains already worked over probably by him. Perhaps you could make a deal if you get the spots out you 1, get paid for it 2, get to clean the rest of the house while you are there and paid right away

My bet is that he’s done this before “give it a couple of days to see what happens” and you’ll never hear from him again I’ve had people try this with rug clean business.

I have a 90.00 min charge...............

I would tell him you can clean that area for 90.00 and then he can see if he wants you to clean the rest of the home.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

I usually tell these guy that my free estimate will only be $75.00

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

I would of gave him Stanley Steamers number and went on to bigger and better things.....

you are probably correct that he is the type that can never be pleased because he probably has more money then common since....

and there is nothing worse to deal with then a rich arrogant ass hole....you could probably get the carpet 100% and he will still find something to bitch about...

Able 1

Name
Keith
I have done demo's and gotten screwed, what i would do for a demo is do an area 2' by 2' in the worst area and let it be.

Keith

boazcan

Name
Bryan C

Larry B said:
It sounds like a load of SH*t.

Even if he wants a demo why the hell would anyone go remove all his stains?

Go remove half a stain in the traffic area then charge his A$$ to remove the rest of it.

Come give me a demo and clean my house, if you do a good job I will hire you next year to clean my closets.

I like that idea. If you are slammed with work, blow it off. If you have free time, I like to have some fun with these guys. Work on the stain and take it half out or to the point that the rest will stick out like a sore thumb. Then charge him double your normal rate. If all else fails, cut half of it out and replace it. That would really get him going.

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
I think your approach is right on. Willy's right, sometimes you can make these situations work out. The reality is he's probably exactly what he seems like so far - an a-hole. I like to end these situations quickly - just flash him a big number, then stick to it. You'll be outa there in no time.

gasaxe

ask him if he has ever gone to a restaurant and got them to let him take a couple bites out of a hamburger, go home and wait til he shits it out and if everything feels and looks good then come back and finish the rest of it...
Tell him you didnt put the stuff in the carpet but you will do your best to get it out and thats the best you can do.. take it or leave it...with all do respect................sir

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
First of all,the last guy that couldn't get the stains out is the second best cleaner around her

So who might be the first? :lol:

Seriously, if your competition tried and failed and they know what their doing, chances are it's either piss or stains that need an iron. Did you ask what they look like?. Make him work a little and tell him to send pics or like others are saying charge your minimum.

Albert

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"Would you do a free demo for this guy?"

"free" for "that" guy?
not just "no", but HE11 NO!

you already know why

..L.T.A.

G

The guy just wants you to go by and see if you can get the spots out that the other guy couldn't. If you can, then he'll hire you to clean his carpets. If not, then you won't clean his carpets.

Simple.

It sounds like he's just frustrated with paying CCers for broken promises.

Rex Tyus

Josh said:
The guy just wants you to go by and see if you can get the spots out that the other guy couldn't. If you can, then he'll hire you to clean his carpets. If not, then you won't clean his carpets.

Simple.

It sounds like he's just frustrated with paying CCers for broken promises.

Just curious Josh, how old are you?

G

I wouldn't give him an estimate either. I had a custy about a year ago on Pensacola Beach in a gated community(2 plus mil house); I cleaned his carpet and it looked great. A blind man could see that. Well; he pitched a fit said it looked worse; well he refused to pay me; I called the Sheriff's office; a car came out-police officer interviewed us both looked at the job and replied carpet appears to be brand new-he still refused to pay; Mr. Millionaire wound up in the Santa Rosa County jail for defrauding and inn keeper / business establishment :oops: . He still paid me, the court,the probation officer, and for his day?28 minutes in jail($5) :lol: .

I don't mind standing behind my work; if there is any doubt in my eyes/mind I agree with the custy. But if I know I am right I stand my ground. And it sounds like you stood yours; Clean On!

Able 1

Name
Keith
Nice, and he thought he was just going to get a FREE carpet cleaning, good job!

Keith

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
This guy sounds like one hard ass to please, OR, he'll turn into your biggest advocate.
Do the estimate, explain yours and your friends credentials and the expectations he should have.
I wouldn't do the sample cleaning, not with his terms.

Do let us know ho it went today.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I had a lady call yesterday that I had did some work for a couple times.

I took the route of trying to please her all the time.

She would say the job looked good but always she would call later to complain about a stuipd spot or this and that.

She much prefererd to bitch you out over the phone vs in person.

Life is too short to deal with these condesending assholes.

My self esteem has risen ever since I began weeding these types out.

Deal with people who respect you and recomend you to their friends.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
rjfdube said:
I wouldn't give him an estimate either. I had a custy about a year ago on Pensacola Beach in a gated community(2 plus mil house); I cleaned his carpet and it looked great. A blind man could see that. Well; he pitched a fit said it looked worse; well he refused to pay me; I called the Sheriff's office; a car came out-police officer interviewed us both looked at the job and replied carpet appears to be brand new-he still refused to pay; Mr. Millionaire wound up in the Santa Rosa County jail for defrauding and inn keeper / business establishment :oops: . He still paid me, the court,the probation officer, and for his day?28 minutes in jail($5) :lol: .

I don't mind standing behind my work; if there is any doubt in my eyes/mind I agree with the custy. But if I know I am right I stand my ground. And it sounds like you stood yours; Clean On!

Did that really happen? That is awesome, I would love to do that to a few past customers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom