Woven jute fiber

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Searched the forum for about 20 minutes, lotsa info on jute backing, none on the situation in question.

We have an area rug that says 100% Jute (excluding the poly border). It has a rubber backing. Several spots on it, some look like they are well into it depth wise. The tag states do not wet clean - do not dry clean, vacuum only.

Out of about 3500+ area rugs we have cleaned in the past 4-5 years, I have never had one of these in the warehouse.

Very likely we will be offering a "salvage" clean situation with a waiver - unless someone here has the magic solution for us ;)

Anyone have any experience on something like this - what's the best way to proceed, what are the potential bad things that could happen? I just want to inform the custy of the potential problems, then present the waiver if they'd like to proceed.

Thanks!!

IMG_20110921_170728.jpg

IMG_20110921_170339.jpg

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
What bad things could happen?

It could shrink. the backing won't, so it could curl. The binding might not, so it would become baggy and wrinkled. Very difficult to block back into shape without tearing to pieces.

It could get permanent water stain from uneven drying, it could lose color or darken in blotches.

Other than that, no problems.

Search for sisal; the same answers will apply.

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
I am working on one currently, its the same junk from Pottery Barn, I usually don't touch these rugs but this one is a property mngrs rug :cry: , it has a water stain on it from a roof leak so I am using LPH from Vacaway & doing all the work by hand & placing a fan on it immediately.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
the last jute I tried to spot clean cost me 350 bucks to have a rug co. clean it. They were actually spots from a dirty tarp that we had put on top of it. I thought it was wool until I pre-sprayed the freakin thing.

Looks like you're into it though so good luck. I've read here that host is the safest way.

I just looked at the pic again and the edges curled :shock:

Albert

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
Stains dont come out of these things from my experience..I leave them alone. Any plant fiber that is even near a couch I'm cleaning I move..once these stupid things get wet..they can turn pink etc..all types of problems. Most of the time they are inexpensive so I tell people to replace them.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
wet cleaning it will shrink it and the rubber back will cause it to curl. i have successfully spotted them using peroxide based products such as stain zone. just warn the person ahead that damage may occur.

gene

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom