Xentherm Transfer fluid?

Mikey P

Administrator
I've heard whispers that it's nothing more than castor oil or moose musk

I need to change my oil this weekend and am short a gallon.

Any idea where I can find a substitue?

Walt

It's pretty generic what ever it is. But unless you have a industrial supply place I don't think your going to be able to do it this week.

Call the guys at FMI and they will tell you the actual product name. They had a 50 gallon drum of the stuff sitting around for a while in the shop and I bought what was left. I think I paid a few bucks a gallon.

Walt

I swear I didn't pay more then 9 bucks a gallon on close out. Vortex sold it for 25 a gallon. 150?? wow.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I have never been able to find it in nothing more then a 5 gallon pail.....there is a lot of things on this machine we can screw around with ..but I don't think this is one of them....not something I would mess with...stick it out for another week and order the right stuff..........

G

Rip it out and add a diesel heater,then you can tap right into your tank,and it would be soooo much simpler,which is the best reason of all.

Walt

Kevin P said:
Rip it out and add a diesel heater,then you can tap right into your tank,and it would be soooo much simpler,which is the best reason of all.

Take out near free heat and replace it with a fuel guzzler?

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
running your 4 cylindar engine at 1600 rmps vs a on-demand heater? Personally, I'd leave the Vortex heat exchange system as is, but from a cost perspective, I'd say the idea of switch heating systems doesn't make a ton of sense. Then again, I don't know how often you have to replace the Xentherm mystery liquid either.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Mike,

First of all, there is no Need" to change your Xentherm fluid at all this weekend. That is unless you have a contamination issue. The breakdown of the Xentherm has no other ill effect than a loss in heat transfer capacity of, at most 11%. It is not like motor oil, wherein you have lubrication or mechanical damage issues at hand.

That being said, you do indeed have time to acquire the product at what you feel is the best price you can shop for.

How many hours does the existing fluid fill have?

Greenie

I'm with Shawn, it's just a thermal transfer liquid, lots of them out there, it's just one step above coolant and obviously priced like it's something special.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I would not think so....the water temp itself limited to 260 at the exhaust diverter by pass

I would think that if for some reason there was a malfunction and the oil hit 400 it would crack the E-2

this is one of the best heating systems ...it is touchy at times and you have to remember to burp it now and then...just get into the habit and it is pretty straight forward....set your machine up with dump and vent valves and it is pretty easy to change.....I use a clear bucket when I drain mine and then replace it with the same amount so I take a lot of the guess work out of it...The first time you play with it ..it is a pain because it is hard to get a good reading on the site glass....once you change it a few times it is not hard

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
if I remember right unless there is a malfuncation then the oil doesn't get over 295, this malfuncation could only happen if the diverter valve remained closed and you were driving, maybe it just works that way for my model

my book I believe it says 500 hours but I don't have it with me right now

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
steve frasier said:
if I remember right unless there is a malfuncation then the oil doesn't get over 295, this malfuncation could only happen if the diverter valve remained closed and you were driving, maybe it just works that way for my model

my book I believe it says 500 hours but I don't have it with me right now

My book says 300 hours.....

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
The new Xentherm (Dynalene) can go farther than the first stuff Shawn York was using. Every 500 hours is plenty. If at 500 hours its not really discolored, go another 100.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
what happens if you don't change it?? I don't see why it would matter there should be some lubricating property to it, so what if it looks dark and dirty, its not like its having to power or lubricate anything

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
You are right it does not lube anything.
When the oil breaks down it will not heat as well.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Spoke with Dynalene awhile back and was told if it is not above 400 for extended lenghts of time to go 600 to 800 hrs. Check with them yourself I lost my notes.

Once it gets burnt or old the heat quality drops. Changing annually is not bad or maybe twice yr. Still way cheaper than Kero or Propane a couple times a week.

Mikey I don't know of a replacement and have researched.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom