Yelp Review Filter - WTF!!

G

greentech

I had 3 yelp reviews.

Over the course of the weekend it went down to one.

Now, Monday it is Zero!?!

If you read their FAQ, it says that once their filter removes your review, too bad.

Why bother asking people (busting their balls really) to leave a review?

Never mind contacting them. They make it impossible.

Has anyone had this happen? What did you do?

Ross

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yelp is crap for reviews.

The irony is they were trying to become the best online review system on earth. :roll:

I watched their video one time of how they filter reviews.... A little overboard to say the least.

I think Angie's List has the right idea...but not for volume.

There is a happy medium in there somewhere....I suspect they'll work it out.

Mikey P

Administrator
Reviews left by one time Yelpers will not stick.

1st thing you want to ask someone is if they are regular Yelp users who log in to participate, either reading or leaving reviews. Their comments will stay up. If your customer or mother signed up and just left one or three reviews and never cam back those reviews will all go into the filter basket.

It's Yelps way of trying to make sure that reviews were not solicited. I think it is a fair system even though I have 14 filtered reviews myself :oops:

You can contact those people either through Yelp or phone or email and beg them to leave more reviews in hopes they learn to use the site on a regular basis.

http://officialblog.yelp.com/2010/03/ye ... ained.html

d]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqi-jjbEKcsd]

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Mikey P said:
you can say it's crap and unfair but I get jobs off it every dang day.

Best source for new client bar none

In your area

I don't see the issue with solicited reviews....Hell, it get's them ON Yelp.com as well....You would think it would be a bit more user friendly.

Most if not all my google review are from customers I've asked to review me.

But then, I don't own a multi-million dollar ad website either...So what the hell do I know?

Yes, Yelp is still good for getting work.

Name
I'm Rick James
I agree their filter system is a bit odd, but I get a ton of work from Yelp. I just had a new review on Yelp by a user with few reviews so they filtered it, but put back a review they filtered a couple of months ago.

The customers can still review the filtered reviews and you can even put that there are more reviews in that section when you type out your biz info on there.

Is 3 the max for visible reviews?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Brian R said:
[quote="Mikey P":2bbknxmp]you can say it's crap and unfair but I get jobs off it every dang day.

Best source for new client bar none

In your area

I don't see the issue with solicited reviews....Hell, it get's them ON Yelp.com as well....You would think it would be a bit more user friendly.

Most if not all my google review are from customers I've asked to review me.

But then, I don't own a multi-million dollar ad website either...So what the hell do I know?

Yes, Yelp is still good for getting work.[/quote:2bbknxmp]

Yelp filtering is not so much about solicited reviews, even though Mike is right about one time only reviewers being filtered.

It is about not letting the reviews be manipulated.
Just like you mentioned happened with your Google reviews Brian, one user left ten reviews about your company.
Yelp will catch a reviewer that left 10 reviews on the same company.
They are much, much more vigilant about the integrity of the reviews. As they are very concerned about keeping their good name and the integrity of reviews.
You should laud it.

Can Yelp be manipulated?
Yes. However it is a lot harder.
Yelp is bigger in some areas than others but it is building up its presence.

And people here use them a lot and they have a lot more credibility here than Google. Some people here use only Yelp. And Google is becoming practically a huge yellow pages.

Ross, just be patient.
If you wish, ask your clients to write a review. Eventually it will build and the reviews will show and you will benefit from it.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
YIKES! that friggin filterin yelp...

I am up to 7 filtered reviews. When groveling for online reviews I ask if the client is a yelper (term for one who uses yelp) I always get that doe in the headlights look and move on. The customer needs to have left 3 or more reviews to be a bonified yelper to have reviews stick in the worthy spot.

Had a customer last week who found me on the web say they were from California, I excitedly asked her if she was a yelper - nope - dang!

Yelp seems to be strong on the left coast yet has a very marginal presence here in the Midwest. I have 2 confirmed customers from yelp over the 3 years I have been there.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I've gotten reviews from people that have left reviews for other places. Their reviews didn't get filtered on the other businesses, but they got filtered on mine. It is more of a pain then it's worth. Google places has been my call generator.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
If a person is a Yelper...Then they'll put up the review either way...That also means they may have found you there.

I wouldn't push the reviews on Yelp anymore....But I'm not going to do away with it either.

One they start advertising on TV it will be big in that area.

Mikey, do you see the ads for Yelp on TV in your area?

Once I started seeing Angies List and Living Social on TV....That's when it really started "feeling" bigger in the area.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
14 filtered reviews here if it makes you feel any better.

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
Yep, I think we have had every single review filtered. These are reviews that were written by "yelpers" and people who have only reviewed a few companies. Yelp is not the platform that we suggest our clients to share reviews any longer-

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
masturbation-kit_48.jpg

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Looks like I have 6 filTurd in the Dallas area

5 in the Sacramnto area

Only 1 or 2 stuck in each area.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
they suk....I had 9 reviews (8 filtered)...decided to advertise....now I have 2 reviews....called them and they said because I was advertising with them it looks "biased"to have me at the top and on the first page...okay I'll pay and have all my reviews filtered? BTW got got at least 5 calls a day from every SEO person calling me....don't advertise with them...what's irritating is that it works great if your on the 1st page with at least 5 reviews, a lot of the customers I got off it told me they don't review businesses on Yelp, but go by the reviews.

S

sam miller

I have 2 reviews and another from a customer recently he gave me one on google too. and it got filtered 5 stars down the tube at least google is still there!

Yelp it hasr to get these people to review and then when they do we get hosed WOW!

Back
Top Bottom