Yup, I'm doin' it!

Name
Lee Stockwell
Canadians would melt cleaning an upstairs ratnasty in August without AC. When you go outside it feels cool because it's only 110 F. out there.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Its really not that big of deal most clients are more than happy to move their car.

:numfi:
the fire risk notwithstanding ......what do you do, try and upsell garage floor pressure wash due to all salt, slush/road sludge chunks that drop off your van?
i think you're either FOS or just plain stOOpit

The one guy I know that poisoned himself bad, (had to go to the hospital) shared the same/similar story as KevinD and Spurlington

..L.T.A.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Thanks for showing us you took it out Russ. The two employees that died were a husband and wife team working for the cleaner I knew.

I lost another customer who was sitting inside of his truck with the unit running to warm up on a very cold day because he got wet from the water supply hose.

Everyone be careful out there.

I did that years ago with a trailer mount at my sister in laws house started getting dizzy and it hits me I'm killing myself ran and shut down opened all the windows and moved the trailer.

Cant imagine how anybody wouldn't figure out what was happening before they croaked but I've heard stories too about people dying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Yeah, I had two employees that went on the Flight for Life to Denver thanks to carbon monoxide. (They were parked close to the house and the customer left the garage door up when she left.) One tech was permanently disabled and never worked again. (Naturally he was the best one!)

Steve

PS That whole horrible experience led to this SFS procedure years later:

Procedure: Avoiding Carbon Monoxide Dangers

Purpose: Carbon monoxide is a very real danger to both our employees and our customers. It is essential that you both follow these guidelines and use your initiative to avoid carbon monoxide exposure.

Overview: Carbon monoxide is a tasteless, odorless and invisible gas produced during the combustion of fuels such as gasoline, diesel, and propane. Since victims of carbon monoxide poisoning cannot see or smell this gas they don't realize they are in danger … often until it is too late. Carbon monoxide can poison you in just a few minutes. Unlike a fixed location factory as carpet cleaners we are working in a constantly changing environment. The wind may change, your customer may open windows or doors or children may start playing close to an operating unit. Therefore the need for constant vigilance and monitoring on our part.
Steps:

1. Recognize the danger- Carbon monoxide becomes toxic when it reaches a level higher than 50 ppm (parts per million) with continuous exposure over an eight hour period. This is a very low level and easily achieved with a running motor nearby.

A. Symptoms will vary depending upon length of time and general health.
1. Lower levels (70- 100 ppm) May include flu-like symptoms such as headaches, sore eyes and a runny nose along with general disorientation and tiredness. (Of course, we all get “tired” at the end of a long day on the scrub wand!)

2. Medium levels (150 - 300 ppm) Symptoms will include dizziness, drowsiness and vomiting. This is a very dangerous stage and immediate action must be taken.

3. High levels (400 ppm and higher) Unconsciousness, brain damage and death.

B. Long term problems can include physical, mental and emotional symptoms.
1. Physical: Long term muscle pain, joint pain, chronic fatigue, dizziness, numbness, tingling in the extremities, blurry or double vision, buzzing in the ears, decreased co-ordination, seizures, inability to speak, tremors and speaking, eating and swallowing disorders and/or vertigo.

2. Mental: Short attention span, multi-tasking problems, difficulty with vocabulary, short-term memory loss.

3. Emotional: Irritability, stress, general fear, anxiety, lack of motivation, temper, difficulty sleeping.

NOTE: Always carry your "Gas Monitor” for carbon monoxide clipped on your belt. This sensor has been set by our office to vibrate when carbon monoxide levels hit 35 ppm. At this point you should take immediate action, including shutting off the cleaning unit and power ventilating the building with air movers. Do NOT start running again until after you have corrected the situation following these guidelines. Your monitor is set to sound a loud alarm at 40 ppm at which point you should evacuate the affected areas of the structure of all people including customers until the problem can be corrected.

2. Scope the job and take precautions accordingly- Once you drive up to the job look not only at production considerations but also examine potential carbon monoxide pitfalls.

A. Obviously look at building access re: exhaust direction of the truck mount and aim your exhaust away from the opening.

B. Note too prevailing wind direction and park and/or aim your exhaust down-wind.

C. Especially note open windows or doors higher in the building that may create a “chimney effect’ which will draw gas vapors into the occupied area.

D. Remember that carbon monoxide is heavier than air and will sink to lower levels. (Assuming that the “chimney effect” is not happening.) So always try and park the exhaust lower than the opening into the building.

E. Use a “Door Guard” on all single doors where the hoses entire. This will cut down dramatically on gases entering the building. (And will create a positive Moment of Truth for our clients when they see us trying to save them money on their utility bills.)

F. Limit potential C/M exposure by shutting off the van engine immediately upon arrival at the job and only starting up the TM when you are ready to start cleaning.

G. Never pre-vac a carpet using our TM. The fuel costs are MUCH higher than using our electric vacuum and the customer’s electricity plus it lowers the time when CM can appear.

3. Modify your set-up accordingly. NEVER sacrifice production efficiency for safety. If it means using an extra length of vacuum hose do so. Here are additional procedures that may need to be implemented, depending upon circumstances:

A. If it is impossible to seal the opening with a Door Guard (such as a garage door, etc.) then place a running airmover inside the space with its snout pointing outside to exhaust the gases.

B. If you still have safety issues then clip in our 30’ long auto exhaust hose (the adapter has been permanently attached to our TM exhaust) and route the gases even further away and/or down wind.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
upemasuh.jpg

It's been freeeeeeezzzzzzzzzziiiinnnngggg here the last couple days. I had a great, repeat custy offer their garage to me yesterday to work out of. The Kid said "no thanks, better safe than sorry." Who would have thought my hombres on MB would help keep the Kid on the straight and narrow!? I guess I've moved from an "almost never" kind of guy in the first post to a never kind of guy now.

The Clean Machine

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom