anybody willing to share their hiring list of questions?

FredC

Village Idiot
Ross Buettner said:
Although I do not have any employees I was a branch manager for a wholsesale group/warehouse before I did this.

When you're asking people questions, they are storming for answers. If you watch their eyes and they are looking around they are thinking or on the course for lying.

Mikey, you're looking for someone who will do what you want them to do... and be receptive. This allows you to plant a seed, spray a little water, slap them on the back of the head, and prevail. It's what everyone wants.

So...Ask them a question that really doesn't have an answer. Mine was always, "Why in your opinion is a manhole round?".

You want someone that's going to give it a split thought, look at you, and say... I don't know.

If you get someone who will have theories about it, babble constantly, and almost die to answer it? You've got someone that more than likley is going to do everything BUT what you want them to do. Thinking outside of the box is good, but not when it comes to doing what method you prefer most. They will harass your custies with anything that involves upselling, or avoiding a problem.

Just try that question... see what repsonses you get. Your gut will tell you 95% of what you need to know about them (unless they are stoned).

You think Microsoft asked that question looking for people who would reply "I don't know"?

were they looking for folks who would do everything but what they wanted?

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Exactly what I was thinking Fred. I want people who are not afraid to say they don't know but also ones that can figure out solutions to simple and even complex problems.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

PCCN

Without even saying a word: Are they wearing their pants around their waist or knees?
Do they have holes in both ears, their lips, and nose?
Are they wearing a ball cap backwards like a 12 year old?

If they pass this, "Do you speak English?" (Yea, I know you're not supposed to ask, but heck, it IS America the last time I checked.)

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
Ken Snow said:
Exactly what I was thinking Fred. I want people who are not afraid to say they don't know but also ones that can figure out solutions to simple and even complex problems.

For a tech?

All you're gonna get is a know-it-all after 2 weeks.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
That has not been my experience Ross and we are looking for people who want to make a career with us not just be a tech.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I like behavioral interview questions. There are no easy answers and they help you get a fell for someone.

Describe a situation in which you were able to use persuasion to successfully convince someone to see things your way.

Describe a time when you were faced with a stressful situation that demonstrated your coping skills.

Give me a specific example of a time when you used good judgment and logic in solving a problem.

Give me an example of a time when you set a goal and were able to meet or achieve it.

Tell me about a time when you had to use your presentation skills to influence someone's opinion.

Give me a specific example of a time when you had to conform to a policy with which you did not agree.

Please discuss an important written document you were required to complete.

Tell me about a time when you had to go above and beyond the call of duty in order to get a job done.

Tell me about a time when you had too many things to do and you were required to prioritize your tasks.

Give me an example of a time when you had to make a split second decision.

What is your typical way of dealing with conflict? Give me an example.

Tell me about a time you were able to successfully deal with another person even when that individual may not have personally liked you (or vice versa).

Tell me about a difficult decision you've made in the last year.

Give me an example of a time when something you tried to accomplish and failed.

Give me an example of when you showed initiative and took the lead.

Tell me about a recent situation in which you had to deal with a very upset customer or co-worker.

Give me an example of a time when you motivated others.

Tell me about a time when you delegated a project effectively.

Tell me about a time when you missed an obvious solution to a problem.

Describe a time when you anticipated potential problems and developed preventive measures.

Tell me about a time when you were forced to make an unpopular decision.

Describe a time when you set your sights too high (or too low).

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
The Great Oz said:
If you buy an HR professional a few drinks, they'll admit that hiring is always a crapshoot. Top headhunters often have no better record of success than the average stock broker, so just move on if a hire doesnt work out.
This is the single best advice in this thread. Papa Nick Paolella says to "Hire slow and fire fast." The problem is when we make a mistake in hiring (I've made more than my share) we get emotionally invested and put off the inevitable. Do it with dignity and respect but get marginal people out of your business quickly.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS There ARE great employees out there. But even with the very best interviewing techniques it just comes down to trial and error. Then once you have good people you need to add accountability. If you don't in the totally unsupervised world of carpet cleaning they can go bad quickly ...

http://sfs.jondon.com/7405/resources/qu ... nspections

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
So I stand up and ask the difficult question about being a american citizen and someone deletes my avatar?

Really?

It seems illegals have more rights in OUR country than we do.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Re: Re: anybody willing to share their hiring list of questi

Jimmy L said:
So I stand up and ask the difficult question about being a american citizen and someone deletes my avatar?

Really?

It seems illegals have more rights in OUR country than we do.
Being or not being an American citizen has nothing directly to do with being illegal. 2 of my longest term employees, 1 over 50 years with us and one over 20, are not citizens of the US. They were both born in Canada and have been here legally since they were little kids.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Being or not being an American citizen has nothing directly to do with being illegal. 2 of my longest term employees, 1 over 50 years with us and one over 20, are not citizens of the US. They were both born in Canada and have been here legally since they were little kids.

We've have and have had legal aliens working for us from a variety of countries over the years, some of our longest tenured have become citizens. We've hired three Canadians in my tenure though, and they rank in the top five of worst employees ever. Seems funny when I so rarely meet a Canadian I don't like.

I now know to stay away from laid off Boeing workers (they'll go back as soon as they get the call) early-retirement Boeing workers (they're gathering info to start their own cleaning biz), construction workers (no matter how much they hated construction, in the springtime they go back to it), sweet as can be SS employees (can't untrain the need to crash through a job), and Canadians. :cry:

PS: Craigslist is the place, unless you're looking for top-level talent. Then you go to Linkedin. Craigslist has user forums that are very helpful in letting you know how to write an ad that gets good results.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
You've got west coast Canuks Ozman lol. Those are the only 2 non citizen imigrants we have, rhe other imigeants all have become citizens. When they do we host a luncheon for them that all employees are invited to and get a giant sheet cake with an American flag on it.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Did I miss something here?

Illegal immigrant mean they ain't here LEGALLY.

I can smell you LIBERALS .

Hiring illegals is UNAMERICAN.

Bob Foster

So add this question

So what could you see yourself doing in 5 years?

Or

Thinking of your all round capabilities what could you see yourself contributing to the success of this company in addition to your cleaning carpets abilities in the next few years?

I actually like the first one better and it should be asked first to see if he at least expresses something he deliberately puts into his remarks that he know would benefit you or the company.

If he said something like I would like to travel then you might not want to further the candidate.

How much time have you allowed for each interview?

No more than 3/4 hour for first interview. Always an hour before another one and make notes immediately after each one as you will find that the attributes between some of them will get confusing.
Two lists on each besides the round file.
Pros and Cons

It's a draining experience.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Mikey...depending on the job your on....sometimes an on site interview helps........see if he pulls the hose while yor talking to him..........
hell if Mrs Phift ain't lookin'....hand him the wand........

THAT'LL DO IT!

Mikey P

Administrator
and the resumes continue to come in.

what an eye opining experience this has been :shock: hey Marty, blow me

my other hires were friends or family..

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Mikey...you will get a HUNDRED or more calls......you can pretty much cross off MOST of them by the conversation alone...HOWEVER...use a rating "code" by each name and maybe some redeming quality of the few that HAVE any.........
THEN go through the list and call those that seemed the best!

ALSO...wait till they call back the SECOND time.......that shows the interest.......

AND DON EVER FALL FOR A HARD LUCK STORY

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Or better yet, run a blind box ad so you don’t have to talk to 100 fooktards.
I ask them to include a resume with work history.

FredC

Village Idiot
I have more of the Bawb mentality.....poaching is likely to yield better folks................

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
im jus adding up all the things that COULD happen if a DOG was brought to Mrs Phifts house.........

Mikey...i can tell this is yor FIRST time at the rodeo.......you been lucky.......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom