anybody willing to share their hiring list of questions?

jkowalski

Name
Joe Kowalski
Knowing that I'm going to call their previous employer;

"Name one positive thing that your previous supervisor would say about you"

Followed by

"Name one negative thing they would say about you"

stumps even the best...

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Mikey P said:
Bob

I'm not taking calls.

Just sent resumes.

I respond to those that appeal to me for various reasons.

MIKEY...believe me...you WANT to listen to their voices BEFORE you call them in for an interveiw...
most of these DA out there can't put a recognizable sentence together......witout using the word "LIKE" a dozen times........

An' don forget the basket cart boys at piggly wiggly too...........

OHH i feel sorry for you........!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
OHH YA....where are you interviewing at...........cuz it's always nice to let unknown felons into yor household!

Pee eSS

always make a copy of the applicants drivers license........

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
dc klaatu said:
OHH YA....where are you interviewing at...........cuz it's always nice to let unknown felons into yor household!

Pee eSS

always make a copy of the applicants drivers license........
Good point.

For owner-operators working out of their house (and after you pre-screen over the phone and then check references) just arrange to meet them at a coffee shop. Points to look for:
1. Are they on time?
2. How do they treat the wait staff?
3. Accompany them out and look at (and inside) their car. What is the cleanliness level?

Steve Toburen
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS For your buddy with the puppy:
Translation: "I am a wacko ADD flake raised by overly permissive liberal parents and I can't hold a job."

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i've actually had them ask if i could give them a lift to their parole office once a week.........

REALLY!

MIKEY....yor so screwed.....
i have a feeling this will be a long thread.......

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
"[/quote] Translation: "I am a wacko ADD flake raised by overly permissive liberal parents and I can't hold a job."[/quote]

Exactly what I thought Steve!

Connor

Name
Connor
My cousin used to lose most of his plumbing staff on the first Monday of the month, mandatory parole officer meetings.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Connor said:
My cousin used to lose most of his plumbing staff on the first Monday of the month, mandatory parole officer meetings.
I believe you. And these are the people we are sending into our unsuspecting (and trusting) customer's homes. For some sobering thoughts click on this NON-SFS link:

http://sueweavercause.org/protect-your- ... r-victims/

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Just last week in Tampa the local news channel's lead-off story was "Do you know who you are letting into your home?"

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
8-months, that pretty good depending on how young he is. Young guys are searching for a job they like, one they can stay at for while. They won't know without "trying the job on" if it's a good fit for them. 8-months is not bad if he's in the 18-24 range, older than that and he's a gypsy. Never to find that perfect job.

We've hired some that didn't make it till lunch, he was working here in the shop and when the guys took a break around 10:15 he came in a told Dan he was done. Dan asked if he wanted to at least finish the morning, but he said no he was done. :shock:

We had another guy that went to lunch with one of our tech's and while on the way there they stopped at the light and the guy pulled his shirt off and said thanks I decided not to go back to work. :lol:

I know we can be rough on the tech's but these guys were just lazy, wanted a check but didn't want to work. :mrgreen:

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Lee Stockwell said:
This may sound COLD, but never hire an unemployed person.
Yeah, Lee, 30 odd years ago Jeff Bishop told me "90% of the people applying with you are unemployed for a very good reason." With today's high unemployment rates and SOME (a few?) very good people getting "down-sized" I'm not sure the 90% percentage still applies.

Steve toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS 75% maybe. :)

Bob Foster

When you do get someone its a probationary period of 3 months minimum. At three months then they earn the right to receive commissions.

Bob Foster

Those with young families should be looked at the closest. The thing is how do you find out without asking the question.

Long commuters should be a red flag.

Bob Foster

After 6 months of employment and on your 3rd long weekend of the month you stop your bike at your favorite pie place to take a break and check your voice mail you will hear something like this.

"Thanks for the job and for treating me so well but I've just purchased a carpet cleaning truck and will be going out on my own. See you around town!"

Iseeru

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
18+20 years is 38-years old, a little long in the tooth to switch careers, especially since it sounds like he has already managed projects for the company. ???

He is in the process of selling his home and moving to Aptos, whether you hire him or not?

I wouldn't toss him until you interview him but 28-would be a lot better than 38.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
"Thanks for the job and for treating me so well but I've just purchased a carpet cleaning truck and will be going out on my own. See you around town!"
If he has the resources, that's always possible.

Keep your client list under lock and key. You never know the type of scoundrel that would steal the client list from their previous employer. :p

Ummmm excluding you of course, boss!
:lol:

Connor

Name
Connor
dc klaatu said:
Connor said:
I had a guy come in for an interview, gave his experience and job history, I noticed that for about three years he said he worked in Texas, which just didn't sound right because he told me that he'd lived here his "whole life". I looked his name up on the state Dept of Corrections. Three years for cocaine distribution and possession and a couple of other things. !dork!

convict-racist!

He didn't have any visible tattoos, he was a polite and neatly dressed black guy with too much cologne. I actually gave him a chance as a laborer and he turned out to be a slacker when he wasn't directly supervised.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Connor said:
... with too much cologne.
Off topic but given people's increasing "olfactory sensitivity" my employee manual today would say no perfume or colognes on any employees during working hours.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS I get the feeling that you are kind of enjoying your "power trip", Mikey. Been there- done that and yeah- it is kind of a rush. The head and heart aches start later. Sorry to rain on your parade!

Connor

Name
Connor
Wyatt Earp said:
My tech's call it COD, cologne over dirt.

When you spritz a little on to cover up body odor, you end up with the odor of both. thathurts

Around here we call it the French Whore.

It's funny to see how many folks carry Axe body spray in their cars nowadays.

Mikey P

Administrator
Steve Toburen said:
Connor said:
... with too much cologne.
Off topic but given people's increasing "olfactory sensitivity" my employee manual today would say no perfume or colognes on any employees during working hours.

Steve Toburen
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS I get the feeling that you are kind of enjoying your "power trip", Mikey. Been there- done that and yeah- it is kind of a rush. The head and heart aches start later. Sorry to rain on your parade!

It's been a enlightening experience for sure, depressing too.

Sure is a lot of desperation out there for work.

I'm liking this kid I met with last night more and more.

Name
Lee Stockwell
For janitorial (light office) women have worked out best.

My daughter was the best, and with 4 brothers I was actually surprised how well she worked out on the truck...until she had a family. She still takes the wand from me when I do her house. (Says I don't do it right)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom