Choices for the Nomadic Owner Op

Mikey P

Administrator
sad, frustrating but oh so common..

the restructuring of a single operator mom and pop to move a helper up to a lead tech with his own van.

Said tech bails so now what?

Attempt to find a guy with enough wand time to re-train and get on the road asap or start from scratch and wait it out 3 to 6 months before new guy can carry premium service experience.

Most of us have been there, what did you do?

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

the restructuring of a single operator mom and pop to move a helper up to a lead tech with his own van.

Attempt to find a guy with enough wand time to re-train and get on the road asap or start from scratch and wait it out 3 to 6 months before new guy can carry premium service experience.

When I worked for some of the larger companies, we would have a high staff turnover sometimes. We would always hire someone with some experience, put him on empties and lower value clients until he proved himself. Sometimes it worked out, sometimes it didn't.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You have to just keep trying to find cleaners. Otherwise you're destined to be an old man behind a wand.

It also makes it hard to sell when you're ready to. Nobody wants to buy a business where they are going to drop some big money and then have work hard. They want to buy a business that they can manage.

Last edited:

Chris A

Name
Chris

I went through it a few times. Finally hit the lotto on a guy who is a great tech, but not terribly motivated by money (crappy salesman). He was able to shoulder the load while I ran truck 2 and went through the revolving door of techs again. Almost 7 years later with 2 great techs and I'm on truck 3 and looking to get off the road for the 3rd time. It's a grind, and not always fun, but if you keep at it eventually you'll hit.

sassyotto

Name
Paul
Mack Clark said something once that stuck in my mind. Once you get off the truck, your main focus is hiring.

Always have one or two people ready to be hired. A good tech can obtain the *what would they do without me* frame of mind. Not an attitude necessarily but they can pretty much dictate what they want IF they know you would be hard pressed to replace them.

So its pretty logical (Mack in a nutshell) to eliminate that potential problem with having a list of people to hire.

Problem is that most owners are reactionary. In other words they react to actions already taken by employees and customers. The term Fire Chaser comes to mind. Sadly thats the way most businesses are run.

Mikey P

Administrator
Mack Clark said something once that stuck in my mind. Once you get off the truck, your main focus is hiring.

Always have one or two people ready to be hired. A good tech can obtain the *what would they do without me* frame of mind. Not an attitude necessarily but they can pretty much dictate what they want IF they know you would be hard pressed to replace them.

So its pretty logical (Mack in a nutshell) to eliminate that potential problem with having a list of people to hire.

Problem is that most owners are reactionary. In other words they react to actions already taken by employees and customers. The term Fire Chaser comes to mind. Sadly thats the way most businesses are run.

Mack wasn't hiring in these times, where our "techs" can make the same income if not much more day trading crypto, being a YouTube star or playing the system with his PTSD from a BLM parade he felt forced to attend

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Mack wasn't hiring in these times, where our "techs" can make the same income if not much more day trading crypto, being a YouTube star or playing the system with his PTSD from a BLM parade he felt forced to attend

Mack had an entertaining quality about him, and had an irreverence for some of our industry's common practices that others felt were supposed to be beyond criticism.

(If you're wondering: Hiring people you go to church with, hiring friends, and letting employees use business assets for personal use: Phone, vehicles, cleaning machines, etc.)

He understood our industry very well at that time, but I agree that a measure of what was once good advice wouldn't work in 2021.

One bit of advice I continue to live by:

"When you have an employee that irritates you so much that you find yourself avoiding them in your own place of business, fire them"

Last edited:

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
I’m at a crossroads. I have two vans with TM’s. I have enough business to run both. I should run both, right? I have no desire for employees. I do 15-20 jobs a week. M-F. No after hours or weekends. My customers seem willing to wait on my schedule. Maybe this next year I’ll turn the corner. Idk.

Reactions: LCCFL and BIG WOOD

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I’m at a crossroads. I have two vans with TM’s. I have enough business to run both. I should run both, right? I have no desire for employees. I do 15-20 jobs a week. M-F. No after hours or weekends. My customers seem willing to wait on my schedule. Maybe this next year I’ll turn the corner. Idk.
Spend time looking for the next truck operator. Hire him as soon as you find him.

Spend this year developing your new hire so that next year he can handle the easy jobs on his own.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
You can’t do it forever! And the you can’t will be here before you know it.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes

Although at 70, I preach against being a lone wolf too long. However, it’s easier said than done especially in today’s climate. Even in janitorial, you find yourself thinking I can do it myself easier. It’s a struggle. You can’t just line people up to hire.

Mikey P

Administrator
A guy came to our booth in Vegas and had a lady with him that he stole from zero res. She was doing 400,000 a year by herself for zero and he was able to snag her, not sure what she's doing now but she was really into the whole glide thing and was a total treasure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom