Choices for the Nomadic Owner Op

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
As far as I know, he sold his customer list, all of his equipment (portables and scrubbers mainly) his van, phone number and any advertising he had. I don't think he got a lot for it but it was enough for him to sell. You could pm him for the details. I have been looking at selling mine and moving elsewhere. I would probably ask about $60,000 as it's 2 old trucks, portables, scrubbers and a ton of miscellaneous stuff. It would take some one who enjoys being an owner\operator like myself to make it work. For the right price I would work with that person and help them out in the transition
What

What business systems, employees and real estate came with it? Or did he just sell his history of business?

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
As far as I know, he sold his customer list, all of his equipment (portables and scrubbers mainly) his van, phone number and any advertising he had. I don't think he got a lot for it but it was enough for him to sell. You could pm him for the details. I have been looking at selling mine and moving elsewhere. I would probably ask about $60,000 as it's 2 old trucks, portables, scrubbers and a ton of miscellaneous stuff. It would take some one who enjoys being an owner\operator like myself to make it work. For the right price I would work with that person and help them out in the transition
I think that is a possibility for any of us, but that is no windfall of money to look forward to. I could sell my back up van with the mount for 60,000 now. It’s paid for.

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
I guess my point is, as I don’t for see the value of my business as part of my retirement. I’m just gonna make as much money as I can for the next 20 years and quit.

Reactions: sassyotto

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You are never going to get rich selling an owner/op business, just like you probably won't get rich being an owner/op. There is always the possibility of getting a residual income from having someone take over your business and taking a commission. Most owner/op businesses are worth the price of the fixed assets. The good will is hard to price.

roro

Name
Ross Craig
I think that is a possibility for any of us, but that is no windfall of money to look forward to. I could sell my back up van with the mount for 60,000 now. It’s paid for.
True if you are selling a job and equipment. Unless you sell a dollar for 60 cents the true value of your business is in your database.

Reactions: Trip Moses

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
I’m at a crossroads. I have two vans with TM’s. I have enough business to run both. I should run both, right? I have no desire for employees. I do 15-20 jobs a week. M-F. No after hours or weekends. My customers seem willing to wait on my schedule. Maybe this next year I’ll turn the corner. Idk.
Raise your prices,10 percent

Reactions: Trip Moses

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
True if you are selling a job and equipment. Unless you sell a dollar for 60 cents the true value of your business is in your database.
We bought a client list from a company that had high-end clients that were accustomed to paying well for his services. He helped transition those clients to us.

We've declined to buy client lists from companies that charged less because we knew our pricing would chase most of them away.

sassyotto

Name
Paul
Although at 70, I preach against being a lone wolf too long. However, it’s easier said than done especially in today’s climate. Even in janitorial, you find yourself thinking I can do it myself easier. It’s a struggle. You can’t just line people up to hire.
depends on what you want.

Like the choice to hire or not. I choose not to and when I am ready to hang up the wand (which is coming up soon) I have no regrets. Had a great run. And my kids make more money than I ever did. So life is good.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
sad, frustrating but oh so common..

the restructuring of a single operator mom and pop to move a helper up to a lead tech with his own van.

Said tech bails so now what?

Attempt to find a guy with enough wand time to re-train and get on the road asap or start from scratch and wait it out 3 to 6 months before new guy can carry premium service experience.

Most of us have been there, what did you do?
THERE GOES MR BOB!

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I suppose it depends on the kid but we would never send a tech out alone that was newer than that.
Us too!!

Our average crew leader has been with us for over 10 years. We have had a bit of attrition though over the last couple of years and we are sending out guys with only 1-2 years experience with us.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Us too!!

Our average crew leader has been with us for over 10 years. We have had a bit of attrition though over the last couple of years and we are sending out guys with only 1-2 years experience with us.
I've trained in the morning and let
Em finish the day.....never the lick of
A problem.....this ain't rocket surgery...pull the trigger and make the wand go back an forth...easy peesy!
Other than the ass that backed over
My basketball poll ..never had any issues.....OK...so I was very lucky!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom