Dennis Bruder's advice to Carpet Cleaner nerds..

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Ironically, Dennis is the guy behind what I consider to be the second best (legit) wand currently available.

The Sapphire Titaniums.

Just needs a swivle.

Mike why does it need a swivel??

This is my take on there wand.... SS a USof A company came up and I believe is really pushing this industry right now with there TM's. They make the TM and he was including a wand with every TM ( Im not going to go into any details, it is just my own personal thoughts I will keep ) so He took it upon himself to design a AWESOME wand to go with his TM sales, and it is now growing into its own market of another good wand.
But he designed and made a wand for his company to fit in with what HE wanted. It doesn't need a swivel...he did it to replace what he was offering prior, so it solved that issue 100%
I'm not saying they won't make a swivel wand and if they did I think it would be awesome, but that was not the reason for them making the wand.

I know for a FACT that the TM part of this industry HAS a HUGE AMOUNT OF ROOM to improve and this is why:

Working with Tim, I have said he is in the wine industry but the machines Tim designs are so complex it is just a work of art and really just awesome to watch them go together, Tim has shown me things that would blow your mind, and technology that could be brought over to this industry and applied to TM's

Things like remote throttle, remote heat, remote vacuum, remote chemical adjustments, that could be done by the operator from in the home!!
Why do I say this? I have seen it first hand on the machines Tim is building for the wine industry so I KNOW the tech is there.

I was sitting with Tim one day and a phone call came in, a customer was having some issues ( just couldn't understand all the tech and somehow kinda messed up the setting on the machine, kinda like a new BA phone we get or even a new computer ) So Tim sitting at his DESK mind you said "Ok just go plug in the cord so I can access the machine online......person comes back and says Ok it is plugged in?? Tim somehow accessed the machine and re adjusted the settings and then made the adjustments to it the person was trying to do in the first place!! I have no idea where this 2 TON machine was located, but somewhere here in the US...The point is it was handled by Tim at his DESK.

I totally believe SS is going to have some of this in there TM's....not all of it but some, when we were in Vegas and SS was showing there Tm's, the new 370 and the big truck I was talking and kinda got a little hint that they are on this kinda path I could be wrong but I just got that vibe from them.

Maybe Dennis if you said to him YOUR WAND NEEDS A SWIVEL possibly sparked the comment that was made that started this thread IDK ? I can see his point of view if it did.

There wand was made better than what they were offering, it solved a issue that they had, but I believe they are MUCH bigger than a swivel wand ( not gonna lie I hope they are LOL ) I hope that what I am saying doesn't offend cause it was not meant to, I'm just saying I truely believe that there is some serious tech out there and that is what they are focusing on for there Tm's from what I have seen from them so far I believe this to be true.

Mike not every wand needs a swivel :biggrin:

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
"And yet 90% of the carpet cleaners out there dont know what any of that stuff is.

Hagopian
DA Burns"

I had no idea Bryan and Brian were so in the dark
when it came to new tools and juice. How puzzling they could be so successful. Anyone ever try making one change for 20 units and technicians?

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
"And yet 90% of the carpet cleaners out there dont know what any of that stuff is.

Hagopian
DA Burns"

I had no idea Bryan and Brian were so in the dark
when it came to new tools and juice. How puzzling they could be so successful. Anyone ever try making one change for 20 units and technicians?

Nerd tools and high production companies would do as well as a $40 filet on the McDonalds menue

Name
Curt Johnston
If you don't know Dennis' history in this industry, watch this video

He and were discussing super wands and super sprays the other day and something he said incited this here thread..

"Mike, all you guys should do what you do best, CLEAN CARPET.

Let us big guys worry about the tools and juice."

This got me thinking of all the gummy shark inventors I've known over the years and how many of them have had a TRULY successful transition between carpet cleaner to product engineer and then/manufacturer/distributor.

On my left hand I can count: (in no particular order)
1.Keith Studebaker
2.Cliff Monson
3. Joe Bristor
4. Hanks Bro's
5. Jeff Hruby
6. John Guerkink
7. Steve Smith

Still on the fence:
1. Erik/Zipper
2. Tom Conway
3. Saiger
4.Rob Allen
5. Grout Brush dude

and IMO failures, and by that I don't mean out of business but has either abandoned ship or not growing and watching the ship sail away into the sunset
1. Greenglides...sniff
2. Shawn York
3. Maker Co
4. Sticky Tape
5. Sal Muscerela, Yellow cuffs, Penguin sprayer
6. Lift Buddy guy
7. Pulsation Trigger guy

Flash in the Pans one offs..
1. DuckGard
2 Sticky Tape

I want to add John Labarbra as he was a cleaner, but I'm not sure he ever actually invented anything

Rick Gelinas, did he invent the polymer?

I'm leaving out all the garage truckmount guys like Duane and Nick as they never really invented anything.

----------------------

Getting back to Dennis' advice, there is far more money to be made cleaning carpet at $100 to $150 an hour than sitting up all night assembling gummy sharks in your garage and spending an hour on the phone with a carpet cleaner for each sale.

and another 2 hours when the goober puts it together it backwards or mixed it so strong the cat died and the brown out refuses to go away.

Please add to the list, I'm sure I forgot many ...Inventors..

@Jim Martin where should I add you?

SamIam

Name
sam miller
There is nothing wrong with the price of your wand....

I have worked around machinery..electrical...tools..my entire life..and you get to know the difference between whats good..what will just get by and work..and when something with good quality comes around..(and is it very rare anymore that quality even shows up anywhere)...I was talking to a good friend of mine on the phone last night and I was telling him that I was glad that I was able to get my wand directly from you...because if it came from any where else..the personal quality that is in my wand right now would not be there.... it would be just another wand...

I have been using your wand every single day since September..and it still amazes me what I see it do..its worth every penny and the best advice I could ever give..is dont change a thing...
Not everyone will be willing to pay for quality...
not everyone is going to see or understand the difference..
but for the ones who do...its a game changer...

I have been in this industry for 15 years..and IMO...in that time I have only seen 3 things come to the front of the line that stand out in quality..
Tom's wand...
Erik's Zipper...
and my 570..
( I could add my die hard thermalwave in there but they dont make it anymore )

Soon I'll have a zipper to play with!:icon_redface:
And toms wand. With my 570

rick imby

Name
Rick
Speaking of Nerd tools at a Large company. The company that really got Eric off the ground with his first big order, and they had Aerotechs. (I don't remember their name) I was in Las Vegas and they had a crew of 5 working on an Aerotech. They had no clue. Hoses going all directions and 3 of the 5 guys just standing around. Nerd tools in the wrong hands still don't do it right.

So many different business models work.

Would Saiger be more financially successful if he did not have 20k in tools stuffed into each of his trucks? Probably, but he would not be as happy.

Would Hagopian be as successful as they are if they had the same 20k in tools in their trucks that Mark has? Probably not.

And Jim Martin I believe you forgot to give credit to the invention that you would probably not be in the industry without, your love of the big suck requires ---#4 the Glide.

O/o with great cleaning skills sometimes just barely get by because they cannot manage the whole package.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Speaking of Nerd tools at a Large company. The company that really got Eric off the ground with his first big order, and they had Aerotechs. (I don't remember their name) I was in Las Vegas and they had a crew of 5 working on an Aerotech. They had no clue. Hoses going all directions and 3 of the 5 guys just standing around. Nerd tools in the wrong hands still don't do it right.

So many different business models work.

Would Saiger be more financially successful if he did not have 20k in tools stuffed into each of his trucks? Probably, but he would not be as happy.

Would Hagopian be as successful as they are if they had the same 20k in tools in their trucks that Mark has? Probably not.

And Jim Martin I believe you forgot to give credit to the invention that you would probably not be in the industry without, your love of the big suck requires ---#4 the Glide.

O/o with great cleaning skills sometimes just barely get by because they cannot manage the whole package.

Cintas?

Reactions: rick imby

Dennis Bruders

Supportive Member
Name
Dennis Bruders
First of all I would like to say that the quote my friend Mike posted was a little inaccurate as I don’t believe I said “leave it to the big guys” I started in this industry over 30 years ago as carpet cleaner and I have the highest level of respect and gratitude to this great industry. Many of the best tools of our trade started out in a cleaner’s garage on their work bench. In fact Dri-Eaz was started by a carpet cleaner and friend of my family Claude Blackburn. I think this post has been taken out of context as Mike and I were discussing some of the challenges that folks in our industry have faced in taking their great idea and building a few units by hand in their garage to mass production. I am sure those who have stepped into the arena of manufacturing will attest that the grass in not always greener on the other side. Purchasing parts, fabrication, insurance, marketing, accounts receivable, accounts payable all demand time, energy and capital. My point was there comes a time when the manufacturing of the product distracts from the cleaner’s core business and juggling their schedule becomes exhausting. I will note that Mike was in full agreement with this and thus I am sure why he started this discussion. Additionally the risk of someone knocking off their product with a lower cost alternative is always present, something Legend Brands does not do! I would point out that Legend Brands has a long history of supporting small business people in our industries ideas. We have had the privilege to work with the Studebakers on several tools that cleaners use daily. I am sure that my friend Keith Studebaker would tell you that neither I nor Legend Brands takes this industry for granted or in any way want to stifle entrepreneurship and creativity. We welcome ideas that challenge current technologies and drives us to continued product development.

Studebaker

Name
Studebaker
I can tell you that it has been great working with Bill and Dennis Bruders. There passion for this industry is amazing. I was there when Mike and Dennis were talking and I do think this was taken out of context.

I can attest to the fact of how difficult it is to get a product to market. Without the help of legend brands we would never have gotten these products to market.

Back
Top Bottom