Do You Have A Unique Selling Proposition?

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I know we don't !

Does anyone have a USP or can you point me to an independent cleaner that does?

All the marketers tell us we need to have one, except i never really see any. Yes i see some really cool themes, tag lines, etc but not really a selling proposition.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I guess ours is the all natural thing, not that its a very good one but we do use it consistantly.

Dave Rampage

You should know what makes you unique. That's for you to figure out. Your usp is what makes you different, it's what you have to sell.

hogjowl

Idiot™
No, he probably can't. Marketing advice and concepts are about as easy to create and nail down as mercury on a plate.

That's why people like Howard and Polish can mine us so easily.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
A USP is very important. You have to separate yourself from the pack or else clients will think that the only difference between your company and an other is price. (as in low price) This is why chemcry uses bubbles. It can be something that only your company does or something all companies do. But, they don't promote. It can be your equipment, cleaning process, over the top guarantee, ways you care about the client(Booties, corner guards, mats..) Easy of transaction. ON time guarantee. Whatever......... Mine is Lincoln's most recommended cleaning company. Then I point them to my client reviews. http://**********************/Client_Testimonials.html It does bring a lot of clients, takes price off the table and helps with client retention & referrals.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Now, before you guys all pounce, think about what saying the same rediculous thing has done for PadPrick.

And then you might be able to see Dave's motivation.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Dave I agree with you more than I disagree with you but this time I disagree.

How are any of of those unique? Most of us do all or some of those listed and while you have a great "tag line" I agree with Shane it's not a USP.

I've read many books and listened to many tapes and I'd say for the most part no one does in industry. Well a few but in general we are not all that unique (except Sutley...that's a unique dude foooo-shoow).

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
What i am really trying to figure out is how much of a multiplier would it be anyway?

If we keep doing exactly same ad campaigns,service etc, how much more business could we generate with a good but not great usp.
Would we see double the referrals? Would see a 20% increase in any cold ad campaign?

That is why i want to find a cleaner who has experienced it.
I do believe it would be a good investment, in this economy feel pretty confident we could find a freelancer to work with and come up with some ideas.

The other challenge is then you actually have to do it ... consistently whatever your claim to fame is

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Dave I agree with you more than I disagree with you but this time I disagree.

How are any of of those unique? Most of us do all or some of those listed and while you have a great "tag line" I agree with Shane it's not a USP.

I've read many books and listened to many tapes and I'd say for the most part no one does in industry. Well a few but in general we are not all that unique (except Sutley...that's a unique dude foooo-shoow).

A USP doesn't have to be unique.(Even though Unique is in the name) I've read some very successful ways this has been done. But I can't find them now. You just have to be the first to proclaim it. it could be , "We don't leave a sticky residue" Of course no on else does either. But, if you claim it first it's yours . Out techs are drug tested and uniformed, We take the soiled water away in out truck. Here is one example: Enterprise Rent-A-Car says "we'll pick you up." Even though nearly every other car rental company picks people up, Enterprise has worked hard to highlight that as one of the key differences in service they offer. Find what you do that is a benefit to your clients and highlight it in 10 words or less.

Last edited:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
you don't need a usp unless it is"i am not dave yoakum" you need to build your brand. Write mission statement and refer to that and build a referal program

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Shane I think any money spend towards marketing in this down economy could potentially buy you more market share than in a flush economy. However there are no guarantees either.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
don't waste marketing money to boost slow months that is just throwing it away

hogjowl

Idiot™
I went to school with a guy named Bill. Bill had a unique personality trait. He needed attention so badly (I think he came from a broken home) that he would do and say stupid things, that everybody around him knew were nonsensical, had no value and made Bill look really stupid, but if Bill was ever aware of how he looked to other people, he never gave any indication of it. He just kept saying and doing things like that until he disappeared from our lives one day. He showed up at our 20 year reunion, even though he never graduated with us, and he was still the same. He came in a tux, while the rest of use were in jeans and boots, he said he was an "international banker" but offered no specifics regarding where he lived or anything about himself other than he was super successful and had a ring on every finger ... and he still did the same quirky things ... all for the apparent attention it got him. Bill was harmless and rather pitifully moved from group to group in an effort to fit in during the reunion. I felt sorry for him at first, until I made the mistake of trying to be nice to him. I then had to suffer his presence

I have noticed as I have grown older that if you get more than a few people together, you can often come across a guy like Bill in the group ... no matter where you are or the age of the crowd.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Shane I think any money spend towards marketing in this down economy could potentially buy you more market share than in a flush economy. However there are no guarantees either.

Developing a USP doesn't have to cost any money. Find a benefit for your clients that you provide that sets your company apart or is not advertised by other companies and include it in the advertising you already do.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
A USP doesn't have to be unique.(Even though Unique is in the name) I've read some very successful ways this has been done. But I can't find them now. You just have to be the first to proclaim it. it could be , "We don't leave a sticky residue" Of course no on else does either. But, if you claim it first it's yours . Out techs are drug tested and uniformed, We take the soiled water away in out truck. Here is one example: Enterprise Rent-A-Car says "we'll pick you up." Even though nearly every other car rental company picks people up, Enterprise has worked hard to highlight that as one of the key differences in service they offer. Find what you do that is a benefit to your clients and highlight it in 10 words or less.
Thanks for the analogy, I see where you are coming from!

steve_64

I agree with both of Dave's posts. Marty I think I went to school with that guys cousin from michigan.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

i didnt go to school in michigan, well not highschool. :confusedd:

a couple years ago i started putting "affordable quality carpet care" in my marketing pieces. ive had some positive feed back on it.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Remember that with a USP or Slogan it has to be tailored to your desired client. Are you desiring client that pick a service because of affordability? For me it wouldn't work. But, if that is your niche, GO FOR IT!!!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
In "Secrets from the lost art of common sense marketing" the author Brad Antin calls them S.O.B.'s

Statement Of Benefits, it seems a better term than "unique " don't you think?

steve_64

Remember that with a USP or Slogan it has to be tailored to your desired client. Are you desiring client that pick a service because of affordability? For me it wouldn't work. But, if that is your niche, GO FOR IT!!!

around here affordable cost to much. but i like it when i hear"thats fair" and i dont mind it when they say "is that all". thats when i start upselling. you also missed the quality part maybe. again around here that means a lot from what i hear. together its a win win in my market.

and i bet i could come to your market and do well with that too. people are getting cost concious more and more these days.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
i was done after the opening. people arent fools and it turns me off when people think they are being slick and thats what i saw in the first 5 or 6 words. i find down to earth and honesty works best. but what do i know.

If you would of kept reading he made some very good points. One of which why A USP based on price is almost always not a good thing. A USP should be one or the other. Not affordability and quality. Pick one. Instead of affordability you might want to go for value. An example of a USP is. A mop is a mop. One is essentially like the other. But, "O' Cedar make life easier". Does carefree carpet cleaning make life easier? That would be a USP that goes with your name.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom