Do You Have A Unique Selling Proposition?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
. A reason that they will choose you over the others, a differentiating tool.

Everybody gets a huge exposure to advertisement, so unless one is a large company with a good budget that is willing to spend $$$ for that USP to stick in the potential clients memory, it will not.

So, any small company that tries to compete with a large company using the same tools, is foolhardy.

Even if your USP has not gotten wide spread distribution, Like some large companies can do. As long as it is seen during the prospects search for a cleaner. Your USP will still do the job you designed it for. To stop the search in it's tracks, Help your company to stand alone, Capture the client and have them chose your company on something other than price. (Stuff most of your competition is not doing)

Connor

Name
Connor
Even if your USP has not gotten wide spread distribution, Like some large companies can do. As long as it is seen during the prospects search for a cleaner. Your USP will still do the job you designed it for. To stop the search in it's tracks, Help your company to stand alone, Capture the client and have them chose your company on something other than price. (Stuff most of your competition is not doing)

Dave, you've written USP so many times I'm beginning to think you sell them.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Dave, you've written USP so many times I'm beginning to think you sell them.

If I was selling info on this I would of just offered the sizzle and not the steak. Just the tease and not the info you need to succeed. I just hope that a few guy would see the merits of having a USP and do the things it take to execute it for their own companies. It has sure benefitted mine.

Last edited:

Connor

Name
Connor
If I was selling info on this I would of just offered the sizzle and not the steak. Just the tease and not the info you need to succeed. Just the infomercial and not the real info. I won't mention name of the guys that do that. We all know who they are.

Lol, you offered steak? If you did, it was cut so thin it only had one side.

Good night, Long Beach, we'll see ya next time.

steve_64

The principles of marketing mentioned here are correct.
For me however, there is a big difference between a small company and a larger one.

Call it USP or S.O.B. it still boils down to what's in it for the client. My guess would be that a USP is shorter, more memorable therefore will clings more to the memory. It still has to be perceived by the client as a benefit. A reason that they will choose you over the others, a differentiating tool.

Everybody gets a huge exposure to advertisement, so unless one is a large company with a good budget that is willing to spend $$$ for that USP to stick in the potential clients memory, it will not.

So, any small company that tries to compete with a large company using the same tools, is foolhardy.
Not any USP will work. It has to be something where the large companies will be at disadvantage. And that will also help you compete with your smaller competitors. And people are both tired of and cynical about slick marketing statements. They come a dozen a penny.

Promote your business with what makes your company great and harder for others to compete with you. Understand that your USP is but a small part of your marketing and be focused and consistent about your message.

i agree about the difference of a small company versus a large one.

i agree getting in the door is hardest part and thats what this about.

i also think well ive had experience with people telling me they skip over the big ads and look for the smaller local guy. they want thier dollars to stay in the community. i have a simple bold listing in the yp and still get quite a few calls from it. maybe id get more with a bigger better ad but then im also working for the yp's imo. several hundred a year for an ad versus several thousand is big to me since i do everything myself. when i started out i spent a lt on advertising and worked my butt off keeping up. i shouldve hired help then but i was a rookie and had no clue what i was doing to an extent.

im much happier now working less and keeping more but i do need to grow again.

speaking of seperating yourself once in the home, i just present myself as an honest hard working person. i dont put the other guys down and i dont try and sell them that im much better. i let my work speak for me and my charming personality. :)

about that honesty thing, i think by building yourself up and proclaiming how much better you are can backfire as much as it helps. you create a situation where you have to prove it and how do you do that. most of us are doing the same thing. how many people ask if what you do is steam cleaning.

i look at it like dating. if you have an online profile telling what a great guy you and when you get a meet you have to live up to that expectation or you lose the sale. ive heard the horror stories both dating and cleaning. i prefer to downplay things and just sell myself as average and when i do get in the door its easier to impress. again with being honest and doing what you say you are going to do. it doesnt have to be bells and whistles for most people.

okk im at the filipinas still so i better not stay on here but i just dont like over selling myself. i find it easier and less stressful to just do as best as i can when i have the oppertunity and not oversell myself.this will probably change as most things do but for now its where im at.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I am a non franchise relativaly small company that has a USP. "Carpets That Stay Clean Longer" During my sales process I highlight the reasons carpets get dirty faster after cleaning and what we do different. It builds value to the customer and in most cases the right customer is willing to pay more for our service. Additionally all aspects of my marketing contain subtle things that is designed to attract the target customers I am looking for. 10 step cleaning process, moving furniture, having a baby on my vans and marketing. Those are things that my target customers will be attracted to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom