Do You Have A Unique Selling Proposition?

Mikey P

Administrator
Think about what most ideal carpet cleaning "Clients' want from a service provider..

1. a trustworthy COMPANY with a clean track record
  2. the man or men coming into the home need to be clean cut, personable, knowledgeable and give off that sense of trustworthiness upon meeting for the first time.
  3. clean looking carpet that dries by morning
  4. priced so they can afford to have it cleaned more than once a year

add versatility to the list as well as many home owners will pick a company that can clean tile, wood and upholstery all in one visit over a Just Carpet company.

my point is unless you're willing to send in Chippendale models or oompa loompas to do the work, a Unique Selling Point for our industry just cant be much more unique that the color of your vans.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
my point is unless you're willing to send in Chippendale models or oompa loompas to do the work, a Unique Selling Point for our industry just cant be much more unique that the color of your vans.

This is just not true. Why do you think Chem dry cleans with bubbles? It has more to do with having a USP than cleaning. The same with Zerorez. They separate themselves from the pack with a gimmick that has little to do with cleaning and they reap the rewards. The same results can be obtained in a myriad of ways. Even going all Vonshrader is a USP. That is why Mardie is busy. But, it doesn't have to be method. It can be almost anything else that sets your company apart in the mind of your clients. Plus, Like I've been posting time and again through this post and showing examples the made multible millions, a USP doesn't necessarily have to be unique.

Name
I'm Rick James
I created a nice little business for myself with what Steve T calls "Moment of Truths".. I am not just going in there to clean their carpets or whatever I give them an experience. Its not just one things its a bunch of little things that I do that many companies don't do. I stay very busy, more work then I can handle and still very busy in the dead of winter.. I do all that with NEVER paying for marketing, except my website. I think its the vibe my company gives off in all phases of operation and I also have a lot of review with my company that gives it credibility.

So my USP is the experience i give them, like going to a high class restaurant.. I'm no Denny's.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
So Dave how long have you had a drinking problem? :p

Man you are latched on to this USP like a bull dog! :winky:

I'll tell you why I'm latched on to this USP thing. A good USP will separate your company from the pack and eliminate your competition. It will drive prospects just to your business because of your particular USP. (For an example this is what Chemdry does) You will then have the particular clients you desire, which should give you more money. Every company should have a great USP. Yet few companies do it. Without a USP your company is just one of 50 other companies in your town to most prospects. Which leads clients to chose a company based on price.(Usually low price) Why not instead promote prospects to choose your company by a benefit that you choose to highlight in your marketing? Not multible things you do or a list of things that will get glossed over by prospect. But, one thing that stands out, Is easy to explain, that gets remembered and makes your company shine above the rest. One benefit that will stop prospects in their tracks when they are going down that list of companies to choose from. The one benefit that your clients will brag and tell their friends about. A USP doesn't cost a dime. You can insert in into your marketing your already do. Not having a great USP however, can be very costly.

steve_64

I created a nice little business for myself with what Steve T calls "Moment of Truths".. I am not just going in there to clean their carpets or whatever I give them an experience. Its not just one things its a bunch of little things that I do that many companies don't do. I stay very busy, more work then I can handle and still very busy in the dead of winter.. I do all that with NEVER paying for marketing, except my website. I think its the vibe my company gives off in all phases of operation and I also have a lot of review with my company that gives it credibility.

So my USP is the experience i give them, like going to a high class restaurant.. I'm no Denny's.

i just try and not bang the walls or drag hoses across corners. oh and not be hung over or still drunk smelling of strippers and glitter on my face.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
i just try and not bang the walls or drag hoses across corners. oh and not be hung over or still drunk smelling of strippers and glitter on my face.

Brent actually has 2 USPs that he highlights in his marketing. Green cleaning and Extraordinary service. Two things that will bring long term quality clients. Perhaps you can highlight in your marketing- "I don't smell of strippers and I removed their glitter." That should bring the clients.

Last edited:

steve_64

we have the Toms electric and the Joes plumbing and the Pams vinyl signs around here who have been in business for 20 years or more. then the ben franklin plumbing comes along and charges a premium and pisses off the public and they are gone in two years. same with the chemdry and others.

imo its not about names and usp's but about quality work that the consumer deems fair. now what one community or even consumer deems fair is different than others. its also about getting your name out there. i think the average consumer uses many different companies until they find the one the like and then they stick with it.

ive heard many stories about the guy who retired as i was starting up. he was in business over twenty years and did just an ok job. many have told me im better but they still callled him yearly because they knew what they were getting and he was better than the others or at least just as good.

dave, i think you need to lay off the coolaide a bit. listen to your current customers and ask them why they keep using you. there is the expert in knowing why they call you. ive never had one one tell me it was my logo or tag line. its usually the local number and not an 800 number or my local address that i use to use. that is probably my number one response when i ask why they called me and not anyone else.

then i leave a fridge magnet so they dont forget. that is probably my one best thing for repeat customers. they need to find you easily. thats probably the best reason for a website too. but like ive said, my name comes up on google searches in my area and it costs me nothing. well it comes with my yellow page listing at $30 a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Connor

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
we have the Toms electric and the Joes plumbing and the Pams vinyl signs around here who have been in business for 20 years or more. then the ben franklin plumbing comes along and charges a premium and pisses off the public and they are gone in two years. same with the chemdry and others.

imo its not about names and usp's but about quality work that the consumer deems fair. now what one community or even consumer deems fair is different than others. its also about getting your name out there. i think the average consumer uses many different companies until they find the one the like and then they stick with it.

ive heard many stories about the guy who retired as i was starting up. he was in business over twenty years and did just an ok job. many have told me im better but they still callled him yearly because they knew what they were getting and he was better than the others or at least just as good.

dave, i think you need to lay off the coolaide a bit. listen to your current customers and ask them why they keep using you. there is the expert in knowing why they call you. ive never had one one tell me it was my logo or tag line. its usually the local number and not an 800 number or my local address that i use to use. that is probably my number one response when i ask why they called me and not anyone else.

then i leave a fridge magnet so they dont forget. that is probably my one best thing for repeat customers. they need to find you easily. thats probably the best reason for a website too. but like ive said, my name comes up on google searches in my area and it costs me nothing. well it comes with my yellow page listing at $30 a month.

For some people the biggest obstacle they encounter in between their two ears.

Reactions: Ken Snow

Connor

Name
Connor
I knew it was a risk I mention SOB and Connor shows up. :p

Chris you're a marketing man, USP or SOB?

SOB.

USP's dilute quickly in modern markets. It doesn't matter who's the first to boast, what matters is who says it most.

Being new is unique, but only for a time.

Counting on a USP is counting on luck, don't believe the hype. You don't have to have a Unique Selling Proposition as much as you have to have a repeated selling proposition.

Don't tell the customer that you're special and valued. Tell them that THEY are special and valued and then value them.

Lather, rinse, repeat.....

steve_64

Brent actually has 2 USPs that he highlights in his marketing. Green cleaning and Extraordinary service. Two things that will bring long term quality clients. Perhaps you can highlight in your marketing- "I don't smell of strippers and I removed their glitter." That should bring the clients.

extraordinary to who? im glad hes doing good and the green cleaning is a good thing to market to some. many people i talk to agree that green products dont work as good as the "old" products. but its a niche market. im looking for a broader base. man, folks around here are cynical when using words like green and extaordinary. i get asked what i mean by quality and affordable very often from new customers.

visibility is what seperates most of us. i am a hack to most here on this board yet i clean for some the richest folks in my town as well as the poorest. i personally think you can be joe shmo carpet cleaner with small print on your van or vans but as long your ads and vehicles and website look the same so they know who you are and you get exposure you will get new customers. what you do beyond that will detrmine how long you last. well that and what you do with your earnings of course. and even then you can be an idiot like me and survive. thriving is another issue that none of this makes much of a difference imo.

steve_64

SOB.

USP's dilute quickly in modern markets. It doesn't matter who's the first to boast, what matters is who says it most.

Being new is unique, but only for a time.

Counting on a USP is counting on luck, don't believe the hype. You don't have to have a Unique Selling Proposition as much as you have to have a repeated selling proposition.

Don't tell the customer that you're special and valued. Tell them that THEY are special and valued and then value them.

Lather, rinse, repeat.....

there wasnt a thank you button but you said this very well. i agree 100%!

i dont always say things as well as id like.

steve_64

For some people the biggest obstacle they encounter in between their two ears.

whats the saying,

the only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep teling yourself why you cant achieve it.

Name
I'm Rick James
extraordinary to who? im glad hes doing good and the green cleaning is a good thing to market to some. many people i talk to agree that green products dont work as good as the "old" products. but its a niche market. im looking for a broader base. man, folks around here are cynical when using words like green and extaordinary. i get asked what i mean by quality and affordable very often from new customers.

Its true green cleaning marketing doesn't work everywhere, here in WA state it is huge. I also have used many green products that don't work that well but there are many out there that do. The "old" product contain toxins that are not healthy to breathe in and can cause serious health effects. So ask your customers if you mind spraying that in their house.

My company is extraordinary to anyone that comes in our service circle. Its so extraordinary that I 6 figures and don't pay a dime for marketing.

visibility is what seperates most of us. i am a hack to most here on this board yet i clean for some the richest folks in my town as well as the poorest. i personally think you can be joe shmo carpet cleaner with small print on your van or vans but as long your ads and vehicles and website look the same so they know who you are and you get exposure you will get new customers. what you do beyond that will detrmine how long you last. well that and what you do with your earnings of course. and even then you can be an idiot like me and survive. thriving is another issue that none of this makes much of a difference imo.

Why do you consider yourself a hack?

Long term its best to sure up all phases of our businesses.

steve_64

apartments are my biggest source of work. i run a bane. i joke about being a hack but i also know i can do better. im not a business man, just an average joe. i dont like putting on a show to charge more money. i was running my business from a one bedroom apartment for 4 years. just started renting a house with a nice garage this past fall.

i dont even have a drivers license and havent for over 3 years now. but i do have a good base of customers and a good reputation for the most part. i just switched to a not so rusty 2001 1ton dodge from a 1994 rusted out ford half ton.

im hoping to turn the corner soon and really put a proffesional touch on my business. no uniforms now just jeans and a tshirt with my business name. no name on my van yet but need to soon due to a ticket for it. i have a vision of what i want for my business but have had a tough learning curve but im on my way.

when i said none of this makes much difference i was refering to the usp thing. again i didnt state myself well. but i know what i can accomplish and im nowhere near that right now. but i am shoring up my weaknesses or trying to so i can break out of the whole ive dug. im good with customers and thats my strong suit besides doing a good job. i suck at the business end though.

steve_64

and i wasnt trying to criticize your business. i know i probably came off that way. my point was, even if you had none of that you would probably be doing just as good. i think its more about what we do on a daily basis than what we put in a name or a logo.

speaking of that, ive been curious what you guys think of mine. its in my marketing and is going on my van. its my business card and magnets and is in over a thousand homes and businesses.

i see i was talking to two different people sorry bout that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
I'm Rick James
apartments are my biggest source of work. i run a bane. i joke about being a hack but i also know i can do better. im not a business man, just an average joe. i dont like putting on a show to charge more money. i was running my business from a one bedroom apartment for 4 years. just started renting a house with a nice garage this past fall.

i dont even have a drivers license and havent for over 3 years now. but i do have a good base of customers and a good reputation for the most part. i just switched to a not so rusty 2001 1ton dodge from a 1994 rusted out ford half ton.

im hoping to turn the corner soon and really put a proffesional touch on my business. no uniforms now just jeans and a tshirt with my business name. no name on my van yet but need to soon due to a ticket for it. i have a vision of what i want for my business but have had a tough learning curve but im on my way.

when i said none of this makes much difference i was refering to the usp thing. again i didnt state myself well. but i know what i can accomplish and im nowhere near that right now. but i am shoring up my weaknesses or trying to so i can break out of the whole ive dug. im good with customers and thats my strong suit besides doing a good job. i suck at the business end though.

I like how you are honest about your business, rare thing to read on the BB's. To comment on your statement that you don't want to put on a show.. you are really holding back your company with a attitude like that. If you want to own more than a job you have to give the customer a product that is worth top dollar. Its selling the sizzle with the steak.. Doing a good job is not good enough, that just whats expected or should I say hoped for by the consumer.

Comes down to what kind of customer do you want? Because of the things I do and charge what i charge, I attract the higher end customers, with pretty clean carpet that loves to spend money on a product that makes them feel better. They are more loyal because they aren't choosing you off price, but the experience they get from you. You have to sure up all phases of your business to achieve the vision you have in your head. To be honest I wouldn't of fully understood it if it wasn't for the people on this BB and local advice from a cleaner.

You need to read the book The E Myth..

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
and i wasnt trying to criticize your business. i know i probably came off that way. my point was, even if you had none of that you would probably be doing just as good. i think its more about what we do on a daily basis than what we put in a name or a logo.
Prospects don't know what you do on a daily basis. They have to make a fast decision based on how your business is presented. That's your website, van, flyers all the way to business cards and also, how you are a better choice that the rest. A USP or (whatever you want to call it) Will help to define your company for your prospect. Kind of a choose me because this will improve your life.

Reactions: Ken Snow
Name
I'm Rick James
and i wasnt trying to criticize your business. i know i probably came off that way. my point was, even if you had none of that you would probably be doing just as good. i think its more about what we do on a daily basis than what we put in a name or a logo.speaking of that, ive been curious what you guys think of mine. its in my marketing and is going on my van. its my business card and magnets and is in over a thousand homes and businesses.i see i was talking to two different people sorry bout that.

If i didn't have any of that I wouldn't be doing just as good. I wouldn't be attracting the customers I want.. I wouldn't be happy with the state of my business because its not set up for long term success. You should read up about branding your business, good thing to learn about to help you with your vision.

Name
I'm Rick James
Prospects don't know what you do on a daily basis. They have to make a fast decision based on how your business is presented. That's your website, van, flyers all the way to business cards and also, how you are a better choice that the rest. A USP or (whatever you want to call it) Will help to define your company for your prospect. Kind of a choose me because this will improve your life.

Very true, we buy off emotions. How something makes us feel. We are complete strangers to these people and we are going into their bedrooms, into their kids room and so on. So if you want to attract the right kind of customer you have to address their concerns by offering an overall product that makes them feel comfortable about having you come into their house. If your company doesn't have an image, people are less likely to buy into it. Especially the ones you want calling you.

Connor

Name
Connor

Speaking of familiarity.... I did a weekend job for a new customer and I saw the BF magnets on their fridge and sticker on the water heater and could tell that they had been there before several times as they had several BF branded plumbing pieces in the home of varying age. The customer said he usually uses BF, but called me because BF didn't have anybody on call that weekend. I know they charge more than me and I didn't even consider there would be an objection to the price I was giving to the customer, but I was wrong.

The customer still complained when I know that the task that I was doing was forty dollars cheaper than what he spent before with BF Plumbing. Was there any difference in my service? No, any difference in my appearance? No. Same kind of uniform, same fully stocked box truck, on time and clean, shoe covers and all, but the customer didn't know me as well. Everything was all smiles and cordiality until I gave him the price, up front, of course. He even said "That's as much as BF charges." I said, "Actually, it's about forty bucks cheaper and has a longer guarantee". He grumbled and accepted, but I could tell that he wasn't really happy. When I was finished, he was sitting at his table with a folder full of receipts and I could see several of BF's invoices. He gave me a check and I gave him a receipt, cards and a magnet on the fridge. I think that with BF's branding, tv commercials and tv testimonials that this fellow didn't care about price, but accepted the propaganda and that it, whatever it is, was worth the asking price. My non-advertised, but just as professional presentation was new and he didn't value it the same way, even though my overhead and my price was less.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Speaking of familiarity.... I did a weekend job for a new customer and I saw the BF magnets on their fridge and sticker on the water heater and could tell that they had been there before several times as they had several BF branded plumbing pieces in the home of varying age. The customer said he usually uses BF, but called me because BF didn't have anybody on call that weekend. I know they charge more than me and I didn't even consider there would be an objection to the price I was giving to the customer, but I was wrong.

The customer still complained when I know that the task that I was doing was forty dollars cheaper than what he spent before with BF Plumbing. Was there any difference in my service? No, any difference in my appearance? No. Same kind of uniform, same fully stocked box truck, on time and clean, shoe covers and all, but the customer didn't know me as well. Everything was all smiles and cordiality until I gave him the price, up front, of course. He even said "That's as much as BF charges." I said, "Actually, it's about forty bucks cheaper and has a longer guarantee". He grumbled and accepted, but I could tell that he wasn't really happy. When I was finished, he was sitting at his table with a folder full of receipts and I could see several of BF's invoices. He gave me a check and I gave him a receipt, cards and a magnet on the fridge. I think that with BF's branding, tv commercials and tv testimonials that this fellow didn't care about price, but accepted the propaganda and that it, whatever it is, was worth the asking price. My non-advertised, but just as professional presentation was new and he didn't value it the same way, even though my overhead and my price was less.

Shows that with the right kind of marketing, the client can be preset before even meeting you and price goes off the table.

steve_64

i gotta run, ill try and get back and explain myself btter later. thanks guys this is fun. i like talking business to people like this.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
The more i thought about it, Dave has some solid points.

He does talk about reviews endlessly, it is on his website, he used to have the most google reviews {that trainwreck happened to all of us}. I guess in dave's case i am looking for a bolder statement, i assume he includes it in printed marketing material and talks about it with clients also.

Saying you are "The Most Referred Carpet Cleaner In Lincoln" is a valid USP that carries weight, customers do want to hear that. Like Ken stated, perceived value.

My personal conundrum is the company name is METHOD, so i trapped myself into creating a USP {unique to a homeowner not a carpet cleaner} based on a special method, tool, process, detergent. In order for me to take full advantage of the name. The problem is.... I dont want to, like the standard carpet cleaning process from an operational standpoint.

Really do not agree with some of you guys, i think it is a good investment. More of a guerilla investment that will carry a great multiple but not necessarily great volume, small ball if you will.

Reactions: Royal Man

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
The principles of marketing mentioned here are correct.
For me however, there is a big difference between a small company and a larger one.

Call it USP or S.O.B. it still boils down to what's in it for the client. My guess would be that a USP is shorter, more memorable therefore will clings more to the memory. It still has to be perceived by the client as a benefit. A reason that they will choose you over the others, a differentiating tool.

Everybody gets a huge exposure to advertisement, so unless one is a large company with a good budget that is willing to spend $$$ for that USP to stick in the potential clients memory, it will not.

So, any small company that tries to compete with a large company using the same tools, is foolhardy.
Not any USP will work. It has to be something where the large companies will be at disadvantage. And that will also help you compete with your smaller competitors. And people are both tired of and cynical about slick marketing statements. They come a dozen a penny.

Promote your business with what makes your company great and harder for others to compete with you. Understand that your USP is but a small part of your marketing and be focused and consistent about your message.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom