Finding GOOD Help

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Another helper gone. Phoned me last night at 8 and told me he quit. Too bad, he was a good worker, fairly knowledgeable and willing. I paid him 22 an hour, bonus money for quality production,bought lunch, picked up and dropped off at home. The crappy part is I have a 19 story apartment building to do the halls in today, a 10,000 sf church tomorrow, 3000 sf of tile and grout Thursday and a bunch of smaller jobs this week. I guess I'd better put on the work boots....... Where can I find good help?:dejection:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
where did he go to make more money?
I really don't know. I was thinking that, with bonus, he was pulling $25 an hour. He won't get that anywhere else. Geez, I bought lunch and paid him to eat it too - I never took lunch breaks off his time. Coffee, water, soda- all on my dime. oh well - NEXT!

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We've struggled all year hiring and keeping people. Turn over for 2-3 guys just seems like a constant. A guy starts out strong and then just peters out and before you know it quits and we are hiring again.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Willy P

Name
Willy P
42. Wife works for union catering company, but I can't see them supporting themselves and 2 kids on her 18.75 an hour. Vancouver is one of the most expensive cities in North America. Who knows?I'll call him tonight and ask why he left.Right now,I dunno.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Maybe I should try being a prick instead of a nice guy. I try to be fair but that obviously doesn't work. I just don't know. Oh, well,off to work.

An old story about being a prick... The King of Carpetiam had a prime minister(PM). One day the King says --I'm tired of always being the prick. From now on Mr PM you will be the prick and i will give the bonus's and be the nice guy. After two months the King is fed up. He asks someone to do something and they just blow him off. Yet when the PM asks somebody to do something they Jump. So the King decides to become the prick and have the PM be the nice guy.

The following week there was a Coup and they killed the King and made the PM the new King. They said the King had become a willyhole and the PM was starting to be kinda nice.

It is hard when you work hand in hand with people and them seeing what you are making. You should have people begging to work for you for that wage.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Well I found out what happened. He got a nice cushy j0b at the shipyatds paying him 28 an hour plus medical,dental,drug reimburse, glasses,hearing aids etc and pension. With kids I can understand.Can't say as I blame him but I do wish he had given me some notice.

NEXT!

Mikey P

Administrator
I had a whopper today. I let our new guy follow or stay ahead all day.

I still got it..

20151109_122403.jpg

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Don’t stop 'til everything’s gone
Straight ahead, never turn round
Don’t back up, don’t back down
Full throttle, wide open
You get tired and you don’t show it
Dig a little deeper when you think you can’t dig no more

"The only way I know" Jason Aldean

Reactions: cobra

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
After two years of trying. Men, women, Caucasian, African American, immigrant, young, old, and everything in between. I finally gave up.

Beside the length of training and time loss while training, the problem for me was the commitment to clients that I could not keep when they did not show up. That potential damage to my reputation was something that was challenging to deal with.

Last edited:

rick imby

Name
Rick

Mikey I am not sure if I understand---Is this the new bathroom in your Nevada house and you are going to spend the day in the tub? Does your wife make you put down runners in the house wherever you go? I am certain Desk Jockey and I would have to spend the next day in a hot tub or a hospital....if we tried to keep up.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I am certain Desk Jockey and I would have to spend the next day in a hot tub or a hospital....if we tried to keep up.
Hey I went on a WDR job last week!!!

I'm Steven Rogers I've been on ice resting and waiting to spring into action.:winky:

Chronologically I'm old but physically I'm still a youngster. :cool:

Ron K

@Ofer Kolton

My history with employees was the opposite of yours. I could never have accomplished what I have without help. I had to hire three to get a great one but I hate working alone.
Sooooo whats you're secret? Are you a prick or a prince? How does your pay compare with other employers out by you for the same skill set. You're in Montana I would guess winters are leaner there. Do you only do CC or do you offer other services? Are you poaching other companies employees? I personally think finding good help that LASTS is the small OO biggest obstacle to growth and enjoyment.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I personally think finding good help that LASTS is the small OO biggest obstacle to growth and enjoyment.
I find more kids that "need a job" vs want a job. They value their time off, rather than take advantage of Overtime pay.
They will trade it for time off later in the week. :eekk:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
@Ofer Kolton

My history with employees was the opposite of yours. I could never have accomplished what I have without help. I had to hire three to get a great one but I hate working alone.
I'd love to have great employees.
Be interesting to see if you could accomplish the same here in the Bay Area and particularly in San Francisco. I'd assume it is quite a different employment, rental costs and cost of living situation then MO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom