Physically fit
Well spoken
Disarming personally
Clean cut
Career minded
Detail oriented
Methodical
Confident
Must be available for some Sundays, Saturday is off.

The rest can be trained but this is what I'm after. Am I aiming too high?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Integrity
Physically fit
Well spoken
Disarming personally
Clean cut
Career minded
Detail oriented
Methodical
Confident
Must be available for some Sundays, Saturday is off.

The rest can be trained but this is what I'm after. Am I aiming too high?
Good luck Russ- If you find that person, I'll buy the first clone.

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
That is a great list and everything any of us could hope for in an employee. The problem is they are usually all snapped up by the "other" lines of work...lol. In other words....too good to be a damn rug sucker! Lol!
Our best help that we could ever find was always part time and they were college guys, going to city college getting ready for med school. They really did have all of those above qualities, other than the fact that their career choices had nothing to do with sucking rugs!
We were able to work around each others schedules and it went great.
Its something to consider if you can deal with part timers.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I should have added "Problem solver".

I do understand it would take some real money to gain an employee like this.

Why couldn't they gross 60-80K if they were proficient in a truck by themselves and could bring in 150K in gross sales?

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Our best help that we could ever find was always part time and they were college guys, going to city college getting ready for med school.
I think if you scheduled around their classes a college student can be of great help. We would schedule heavier in the afternoons and on Tuesdays & Thursdays when they were available. We did this for many years but currently are only looking for full time.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I should have added "Problem solver".

I do understand it would take some real money to gain an employee like this.

Why couldn't they gross 60-80K if they were proficient in a truck by themselves and could bring in 150K in gross sales?
Sorry Russ and you know that I am one of your biggest fans. I hope Tom King will chip in from his newly renovated mansion in IN.
These numbers do not add up. With that salary you will not make any profit. However, lets look at the positives: You'll be running an excellent training facility for your soon to be competitors.

Being a reasonable man, here's what I'd like to have in an employee:
  • Marty's look.
  • Richard's cunningly charming & disarming gullibility.
  • Mikes schmoozing and sweet talk ability.
  • Boyle's bul.... cutting practice, twice muted. Not quite sure if the populace is quite ready to handle it in its undiluted form.
  • Art's production and no drop of sweat look, no matter how hard he works, legendary appearance management talent.
  • Fred C.'s legendary patience and love of chicken rafting.
  • Mark's enthusiasm minus (please) the new tools purchasing addiction
  • and..............my accent.
I know, I know....the last one may be asking for too much.

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Hey Offer,
That's Appleby by by by...
Hey Buddy. Damn. Sorry for the spelling mistake. I'll try to embed it in my memory, but it ain't what it used to be no mo.

I take it you are not swimming with the fishes.
Can I scuba dive visit?

P.S. Thanks for the extra 'f''. It did not go unnoticed, Ivan.

Last edited:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Well, I guess I can cover medical premiums as they're pretty cheap (see below). I'm looking into dental and prescription coverage as well,but that's at least $350 a month. I don't mind paying a living wage, but I need the right personnel. A good employee can earn $25 an hour after training and a year's experience,

Adjusted Net Income
One Person

Family of Two

Family of Three or More

$0 - $22,000

$0.00

$0.00

$0.00

$22,001 - $24,000

$12.80

$23.20

$25.60

$24,001 - $26,000

$25.60

$46.40

$51.20

$26,001 - $28,000

$38.40

$69.60

$76.80

$28,001 - $30,000

$51.20

$92.80

$102.40

Over $30,000

$75.00

$136.00

$150.00

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
These numbers do not add up. With that salary you will not make any profit. However, lets look at the positives: You'll be running an excellent training facility for your soon to be competitors.

My marketing dollars are going DOWN considerably as we make a name for ourselves in our market. Other than Service Monster FMS and a couple boosted posts on FB, we haven't spent a dime on advertising since Spring. I understand the investment involved in another properly outfitted truck. I already have a garage that I rent that is big enough for 2 vans plus all supplies.

Is there really not enough meat on the bone to make a decent net profit??

Reactions: Able 1

Able 1

Name
Keith
I think if I remember correctly Ken Snow said his vans would bring in around 265,000 per van and his guys were making around $60,000.. I should check that(I'm too lazy), but that's what I remembered..

Reactions: Russ T.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Workers comp.
Social security.
Benefits.
Sick days.
Vocation.
Bonuses.
If you're planning to grow you will need to advertise.
Cost of training.

Your numbers as they are just won't add up.
The general consensus is employee salary 25 to 30% of gross. A small tightly run ship, you may be able to give a little more. Or eat a little less :winky:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Eat less! :lol:

I don't think you look for a "Franchise QB", you look for a good solid passer that doesn't commit turn overs. You plan on a new rookie to replace the current QB every few years and the beat goes on.

Ofer has discriminating clients but if your book of work is property turns then they don't have to be quite as anal as Ofer would like. :winky:

Look for strong, fast, good tacklers that don't create penalties. Keep your eyes open for Free Agents or Trades. Drafting the best available and forget about the "Franchise QB". There are too few Hall of Famers out there. A good solid performer improves the team and advances you forward.
:cool:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I think I'm from the Chavez or Appleby (can't remember which one was speaking) school of "I pay you to be here".

Im not talking a Cadillac health plan, vacations to Maui, sick days :eekk:...

I'm talking about having 60-80K into a guy, total. I guess that is different than him grossing 60-80K.

Those figures from Hagopian are incredible, if true. 60K in Detroit. 2 in a truck. Just awesome!

Reactions: Mikey P

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Eat less! :lol:

I don't think you look for a "Franchise QB", you look for a good solid passer that doesn't commit turn overs. You plan on a new rookie to replace the current QB every few years and the beat goes on.

Ofer has discriminating clients but if your book of work is property turns then they don't have to be quite as anal as Ofer would like. :winky:

Look for strong, fast, good tacklers that don't create penalties. Keep your eyes open for Free Agents or Trades. Drafting the best available and forget about the "Franchise QB". There are too few Hall of Famers out there. A good solid performer improves the team and advances you forward.
:cool:
That's good right there.:cool::yoda:

Able 1

Name
Keith
Well, Snow also said that O\O have a distinct advantage by being able to run your business out of your house.. Also if you are looking to grow slower there really shouldn't be a big reason to advertise.. I don't do much advertising now maybe $5,000 a year, and in the last 2 years I have made over $55,000 then 2013. I don't mind the slow growth it gives you time to prepare..

Get a helper, and go from there, this alone will pay for it self and you shouldn't worry about it.. AND NEVER PAY FOR SICK DAYS!!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I just don't think a twenty some year old knows what he wants to do for the rest of his life. Even if you pay him well, its likely at some point he will leave anyway.

Pay what you can afford if he turns out to be a keeper, pay him more. Always keep in the back of your mind that few people stay at one job forever.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Freaking Topekan.
Hey, grasshopper! Do I know you from somewhere? :winky:

All I want them to do is not thump their chest as a means of communicating with female clients.
And not look like they've just escaped from Alcatraz.

No. This is not a proper outfit:

th?id=OIP.M09fb45296eb02b81b45ad67514da8905o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300.jpg

Name
Nate W.
I think I'm from the Chavez or Appleby (can't remember which one was speaking) school of "I pay you to be here".

Im not talking a Cadillac health plan, vacations to Maui, sick days :eekk:...

I'm talking about having 60-80K into a guy, total. I guess that is different than him grossing 60-80K.

Those figures from Hagopian are incredible, if true. 60K in Detroit. 2 in a truck. Just awesome!

Hawaii isn't all that great............:lol:

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
As I look back at all the people I have had .. the guys and girls who performed the best on the job were the ones who had personal issues which got them fired or they would quit !!

The ones who would show up every time and were willing to go at it just couldn't get it !!

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom