Finding GOOD Help

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Tired and busy. I only wrote 6 invoices this week, 2 were over $2k, one just shy and about 7 hundred on the rest. It was nice not to have to pay out wages, but I didn't get home until 8 or 9 most nights.But I pulled it off. Next week is slammed up too. I dunno how long my old carcass can keep up with this.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Be afraid. The employees strike back even when they're all gone.
The EDD garnished some $$ from my bank account. Turned out, though I had a payrol service, the quarterlies were not filed and I did not report termination. So, even though I paid everything they fined me.

It's like the return of the zombies strike back :winky:

It will take an act of Congress to get me to hire anybody.

Reactions: Russ T.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I am looking for a new employee as my current tech is leaving for Norway with his wife to explore Europe the second week of December.

Having been in this biz for 30 years now, I have come to realize that any employee can be gone in a flash. So when the flash occurs, I start looking for a new tech and it has always worked out some way or another.

I still wouldn't trade this business for any other!

P.S. I don't perspire either, I sweat, like a pig sometimes, but it's good for you!

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Either way, we have all chosen carpet cleaning as our profession, and I might add, a noble one.

I love this industry, and I love the look on our customer's faces when we are done with their cleaning job, especially when they enter the room while I am cleaning and take a picture.

Now that's a thousand words.

Name
Nate W.
Either way, we have all chosen carpet cleaning as our profession, and I might add, a noble one.

I love this industry, and I love the look on our customer's faces when we are done with their cleaning job, especially when they enter the room while I am cleaning and take a picture.

Now that's a thousand words.

My pops would call it "instant gratification"... It may not be glamorous, but it pays well..

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Have a new part timer showing up tomorrow....

High School local graduate....

Was in the music program, so I can get insight on kids at the school yet and especially the music program (I was the local band director of 25 years...I have connections :) ) to find out what they are like....

He is cooking at the same pizza joint as our Daughter (who was our lead tech) and he has been looking for more work...even full time work....Daughter thinks pretty highly of him at the pizza joint....

And he wants to stay in town....so.....tomorrow is his first day so we can see if it is right for him and us....

This will be to replace our person (Youngest daughters boyfriend) we lost over a year and a half ago....

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
My new guy started this past Friday. He said he wants the job and starts full time Monday. He lives further away than I would like. They only have one car so she'll have to drop him off before she goes to work. After work he can take the bus home or have her come and get him. He's a little heavy but the last kid dropped over 50 lbs and a shirt size pretty quick. His family is from Cuba so he knows hard work. I'm hopeful.

Gene

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
You almost wanna hire part timers only .. givem each 3 maybe 4 days .. this way if one calls in or quits you might be able to rely on the other until you find another way !!

Able 1

Name
Keith
That would be nice, but most good employees want full time work.. I feel bad not giving an employee 40 hours. I want them to be all in, so they see some future working for me..

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Maybe offer a partnership - raise the percentage with time earned .. after so many years you get a certain amount of ownership on the van you run !! You leave, you give it all up !! Max out at 45% after 10-15 years .. maybe even 20 years !!

Reactions: Mikey P

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Today was a really hard day, lots to move and clean. I let him clean the stairs. His arms are twice the size of mine but he struggled with the power of the 870. My stair tool isn't glided. His endurance isn't very good but he's young and should get strong quick.

Gene

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
I have had good success at hiring men that have retired late 50's early 60's. I have three part time daytime employees and 2 evening employees. The daytime guys have set days per week with some flexibility if they want to switch days. Has worked out well, if I loose one the others will fill in until I find a new employee.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Whole lotta truth here. I really like starting 'em out part time first.

And doing a "trial hire" is genius. Some people are "professional interviewers" (You think they are the Second Coming) and yet aren't worth spit. So pay 'em to work with you for a few days with no promises on either side.

Steve

PS All that said, employees will ALWAYS be your biggest challenge. In fact, I've been known to say, "My employees were my biggest challenge and yet at times my greatest joy... and sometimes all on the same day!"

FredC

Village Idiot
Probably hasn't been able to meet his postscript quota without MB................

Reactions: Willy P

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Well howdy do Steve!

What brings you back to the land of the lowlifes and perverts?

(you missed us, I know)
I never left.

But thanks for asking/caring! :)

Steve

PS We've been in Thailand for the last 3 1/2 weeks. Didn't really want to come back. They call it the "Land of Smiles" and it really is. The whole culture is based on Value Added Service. I'd move there but a) the 30 hours in the air commute back to each SFS would be a killer, b) the Thai language has like 46 consonants and 23 vowels (more or less) and c) then our small family would be on 3 continents. (And that won't fly with Sioux.)

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think its a lot worse than it used to be. We used to have our choice of many that wanted to work here.
Now days its seems like its a constant struggle to find more guys.

They also aren't built like they used to be. Now they want off at night, weekends and Holidays. :winky:
Expectations are much different so when we find a good one, we have to re-evaluate the ones we already employ to see if an upgrade is in order.

A little harsh but it only makes sense to staff the best available. :icon_neutral:

Reactions: ronbeatty

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I never left.

But thanks for asking/caring! :)

Steve

PS We've been in Thailand for the last 3 1/2 weeks. Didn't really want to come back. They call it the "Land of Smiles" and it really is. The whole culture is based on Value Added Service. I'd move there but a) the 30 hours in the air commute back to each SFS would be a killer, b) the Thai language has like 46 consonants and 23 vowels (more or less) and c) then our small family would be on 3 continents. (And that won't fly with Sioux.)

Great to see and hear from you Steve. Wish I would have had more time to visit in Vegas at the Experience Convention and Mikey Fest. I felt like a dog chasing my tail...

Reactions: Mikey P

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Whole lotta truth here. I really like starting 'em out part time first.

And doing a "trial hire" is genius. Some people are "professional interviewers" (You think they are the Second Coming) and yet aren't worth spit. So pay 'em to work with you for a few days with no promises on either side.

Steve

PS All that said, employees will ALWAYS be your biggest challenge. In fact, I've been known to say, "My employees were my biggest challenge and yet at times my greatest joy... and sometimes all on the same day!"
Nice to have you posting steve. Stop sitting on the sidelines. Get in the game.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom