First day with the Zipper

Name
Marcus
Capt. What type of duel firing are you referring to and on what unit?
I use a northern tool kero heater. Around 1500$....sets beside my naamco truckmount that I have added a
33 hp to the 4.5 blower a few years ago.
The key to heat is not what it will get triggering but how much continual flow you get.
With the zipper the trigger will stay down for 10-15 minutes at a time for commercial.....or longer
The key to cleaning is greater water flow IMO... I use 14-16 flow at 160-180 degrees....cleans better than
High temp low flow...16 is twice the cleaning as 8....you can lower the heat with the zipper......
Also kleanline heaters out of New Jersey sales these but a little higher....
If I got another I would get the kleanline....although few probs with the northern tool.....
Cap

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Sounds like a guy almost needs a huge waste tank or auto pump out to get the most out of a Zipper.

Name
Nate W.
Sounds like a guy almost needs a huge waste tank or auto pump out to get the most out of a Zipper.

My waste tank is 100 gal I believe... Shuts off at 80-85.... My float broke and I didn't replace it.... I can gauge how much I can clean before having to dump... Since switching jets, I do fill it up faster, but the overall job goes much faster also...

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Name
Marcus
I agree with mark doesn't always use more water but the job will clean better as the zipper
Usually doesn't need multiple strokes and water and heat is contained....
Best 2000$ I have spent and had it 1 year...won't clean without it ever......
I clean a lot of resturants and they do go about 15 min faster and drier nd cleaner.....
But you gotta have continual flow heat for these jobs........

tubad sosad

Name
joe mama
Nate when using the zipper on cgd how long do you think you can wand before your tank fills with 85 gallons of water?

Name
Nate W.
Nate when using the zipper on cgd how long do you think you can wand before your tank fills with 85 gallons of water?

It does depend.... If it's a bad restaurant, about 1500sf.. If it's not a restaurant about 2500-3000sf.... I do have filter boxes with pumpouts on them so we don't need to always dump... Down side, I'm lazy sometimes and either don't bring it or don't run the cord... :icon_redface:

The same jobs done quarterly, I switched the jets from 02's to 03's and noticed the better rinsing and the less chocolate milk "thickness" of the water... The jobs seem to go faster for us...

Last edited:
Reactions: Erik
Name
Marcus
It's been a year since I used a wand .......
I clean resturants and use fresh water tanks so I can measure how much water is used....
I believe mark is right as the zipper doesn't have any overspray and dries faster and therefore doesn't waste excess water.....
I use about 80 gallons water with the zipper on a 2 hour resturant......maybe about 90 gallons with a wand....

Name
jack zerkie
On the days I use the Zipper I always check my tanks they fill much quicker with the Zipper. The days I wand at the same pace the tanks fill slower. The double recovery extraction bar on the Zipper makes a big difference in the extraction. With the Zipper much more flow & extraction cleaning the carpets. With the Zipper more is better with this tool.When using the Zipper the main thing is to keep the filters and recovery line open and as clean as possible. jz.

tubad sosad

Name
joe mama
Nate, captain, and jack you guys rock. any of you do dry strokes on cgd with the zippper? if so, are they faster than the wet stroke or slower? what is avg. dry times for cgd?

and nate, what filter pump out do you use? any pics of it?

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
I ran Butlers with 210 recovery tanks for years. Now I have an Aerotech with dual tanks. Zipper or wand I can usually run all day without having to empty. These slide in and pto units with 80 gallon recovery tanks are a joke. I never have to dump on a residential job, did a new home yesterday with ten bedrooms, family room, steps and a full basement and was only 1/2 full. The extra money you spend a month is easily made up in lost time looking for a place to dump or refill your clean water tank.

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
jack zerkie
I think that the more years that you clean without bad habits you can do a good job with any type of unit portable or truckmount. They all spit and suck your in control maybe. Last week I stopped at my storage unit and saw my 1982 Hoover 15 gal extractor and it still works. Looks like R2D2 but it.s mine and paid for. I use my truckmount 99% of the time, but have other methods vlm and all the add on tools. Last week I worked 7days and the Fri ,SAt. & Sunday were large commercial jobs and I.m happy to do them. I really enjoy carpet cleaning most days and hope to go another 5 years taking me close to 79 yrs young. Some days the harder I work the better I feel and that's without a helper. jz.

Reactions: ronbeatty
Name
Nate W.
Nate, captain, and jack you guys rock. any of you do dry strokes on cgd with the zippper? if so, are they faster than the wet stroke or slower? what is avg. dry times for cgd?

and nate, what filter pump out do you use? any pics of it?

Dry times does vary... The Zipper Jr. recovers the most out of any tool I've used... I also have 4 airpaths and use them when necessary.... A lot of commercial jobs we drop airpaths and pick them up the next day.... That's the #1 complaint , other companies leaving it too wet..... 1 account bought 4 airpaths of there own, as they seen the value in them..... That same account has probably 12 snail air movers also.... I'm an avid user of 2.5" hose to a 25' whip of 2", regardless of what @Ruff Hewn says..... :lol:

We'd also post pad the bad areas after Zippering, but lately I haven't had to as I assume it's because I'm running higher heat....

Back to the dry strokes, I'll push it a little faster than a wet stroke.... Not very much moisture comes up after a wet front to back stroke, but I still do it in the traffic areas... You have to remember that a front and back dry stroke is like going over the area 4 times what a wand would do.... Basically if you do the zigzag like a zipper, that's how it got it's name, you'll be leaving a drier carpet than a wand with less movement..... I believe with a bigger blower than a 4.5, you could move a lot quicker as it'll recover more....

Sorry, I don't have pics of it..... It's pretty old 20+ years old..... Hydroforce sells a inline pump out box better built than the one I have.... Mine is a clear plexiglass one and has a sump pump with a float to turn it on....

Reactions: tmdry
Name
Marcus
I use 14 flow on the zipper about 1 1/2 GPm.....
On commercial ail jobs I go thru about 1 GPm or about 60 gallons an hour....
Cleans great and gets thru the job faster...
With a 33 hp generac and 4.5 blower with kero heater...
Rarely if ever do any dry strokes with the zipper.a. Few on homes fewer if any on commercial...
Cap

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I'm the same as Cap on his GPM and recovery w/ our Zipper.

Will never go back to a wand.

Back
Top Bottom