Furniture Stains on Carpet

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
He did that in Atlanta.

Wait....that was dumping drinks from the top floor. My bad.
Now I may have been there...might have even instigated it...definitely encouraged it...but I never dropped anything. (Insert Angel emoji here!)

Well...other than my jaw dropping when I saw Auto in those daisy dukes. ; )

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Howell

Name
Chris Howell
Johnny, about 40% of the people that we train I've already taken the Americolor training class. They opt to take our class because they say that they didn't learn how to actually provide the services in the Americolor class.

I'm not knocking their class. In fact, I've encouraged my trainees to take their class or Ron Toney's class to get a different perspective. Education is never wasted .

The problem I have with other classes is that people who take them still don't know how to actually offer the services. Also, I never see anyone who's taken the other classes posting any photos of their work.

Americolor offers classes, but they don't actually perform the services themselves. One time I asked the question on *** if there was a web site where people could see examples of Melody's [Americolor] work. My question was immediately deleted and Rob Allen messaged me, telling me to stop posting negative comments/questions. He did this because he was having her come to his "state of the art" training center to hold a dyeing class. I simply asked if there was a place where people could see examples of her work. Apparently no such page exists.

Americolor also does not have the ColorCue app (or any equivalent app). All of the other training programs are still using an old-fashioned plastic color wheel to teach their students. We are utilizing the latest technology to make it a simple process for our trainees to match colors. We've even trained a couple of individuals who are colorblind and are now offering the services.

Americolor also uses powdered dyes. We exclusively use liquid dyes which leave no residues behind whatsoever and are immediately permanent and colorfast.

Americolor doesn't have a support system after the training. Neither do any of the other color instructors. We provide ongoing support in The Dye Lot 365 days a year, 24/7. Anyone who has taken our training will tell you that our support system in The Dye Lot is the best in the carpet industry.

I'm sure there are cheaper classes out there. If cheap is the most important criteria that one uses to make a selection then Americolor may be an option for them.

Last edited:

Chris Howell

Name
Chris Howell
Congratulations to our Minneapolis color trainees who completed a private training this week! They are now fully qualified and ready to offer the services.

Attachments

• IMG_6865.JPG
    IMG_6865.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_6866.JPG
    IMG_6866.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_6864.JPG
    IMG_6864.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_6869.JPG
    IMG_6869.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 248

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
"If cheap is the most important criteria that one uses to make a selection then Americolor may be an option for them."
Appreciate the referral!

Thanks! :rockon:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
So are you capable of teaching how to do a colour change and having it come out even ? Or just skipping over this question?:icon_twisted:

Chris Howell

Name
Chris Howell
Sorry. Didn't see the question earlier. Are we capable of teaching how to do a complete colour change and having it come out even? Absolutely.

That's one of the many things that we teach in our trainings.

Attachments

• IMG_1245.JPG
    IMG_1245.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_6360.JPG
    IMG_6360.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_6370.JPG
    IMG_6370.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_6797.JPG
    IMG_6797.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_6798.JPG
    IMG_6798.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 215

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
We can confirm doing large areas come out evenly. John and a few other trainees helped on a job in D.C. at the Peace Center a couple of months ago. It was a full dye large project that occurred over several days. John and others went down to lend a hand and get more experience doing this type of work. In addition to the Dye Lot Facebook page, and the color cue app these are the kind of opportunities Chris has available to his graduates who want to continue to hone their skill.

I know I've been very vocal about the services we offer on MB. We've been involved with Chris since last March, almost a year. This is one thing that we haven't much talked about here. Prior to that I kept tabs on his progress and who was taking his class for a couple of years before making the investment. When I saw certain people I respected taking his class and speaking up about the value and experience I knew this was the right thing for us. I personally reached out to those I knew took his class, unbeknownst to Chris to get their first hand opinion. Dave Gill being one of them. Dave is by far one of the most upstanding people in our industry and a really great, humble guy. After a couple of years waiting in the wings and having lots of interaction with Chris answering questions we had, we finally pulled the trigger.

I'm glad that Chris is here educating MBers about his services. Knowing some of the controversy, reputation and push back/negativity he's had on other social media sites, I've didn't have it in me to get beat up by you all over this and share our experience. I'm so glad he's here speaking for himself. I'm happy that we can share our experiences now and Chris is here to answer the questions share first hand.

Like many services, tools etc, it's not the right fit for everyone. But, if you are considering adding color repair and you have researched and know that you have a market for it, this is the class to take.

Reactions: Chris Howell

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
As someone who took two different classes (given- a long, long time ago :icon_redface:) maybe now they do it differently. I can attest that none of them have given any practical education or practice (training) in anything but the simplest spot dye correction.

So, if Chris provide that valuable on location practical training, it is well worth it.
Of course, you still need to market it. Damn!!

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
As someone who took two different classes (given- a long, long time ago :icon_redface:) maybe now they do it differently. I can attest that none of them have given any practical education or practice (training) in anything but the simplest spot dye correction.

So, if Chris provide that valuable on location practical training, it is well worth it.
Of course, you still need to market it. Damn!!

Chris' class gave John hands on practice in spot dying, color matching, air brushing, and custom color changing (find a color in the room and then dye the carpet to match that color/item). 3 days of this stuff. In addition to fundamentals of color and all the boring "book" knowledge. I'm looking forward to attending in 2017!

Chris Howell

Name
Chris Howell
Thank you, Meg. Looking forward to having you join us! Also, remind John that all past trainees can attend any future trainings that we have free of charge as a refresher. Spouses can also attend the class free of charge. My way of promoting family values :)

Reactions: PrimaDonna

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I think one of the advantages of Chris' course is the color cue app. For me the hardest part of color repair is deciding from the color wheel and gray scale chart, what colors do you add to get the desired result. I don't know if it is worth $2,000 but it seems to be a very comprehensive course. If you are serious about color repair, it won't take too long to make your money back.

Chris Howell

Name
Chris Howell
Thanks, Cleanworkd. The ColorCue app certainly makes it easier to learn. I actually learned using the old-fashioned plastic color wheel, so it can be done, but it's much more difficult. The ColorCue enables you to literally take a picture of a bleach spot on the carpet and it will automatically calculate the carpet's correct color and the color of the bleach spot, and will then let you know exactly which colors need to be added back in in the exact percentages. In other words, it essentially takes the guesswork out of the color matching process.

Attachments

• IMG_6882.JPG
    IMG_6882.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_6883.JPG
    IMG_6883.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 228

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
You'd still need to know how to do it, as some bleach spots do not discolor uniformly, so the reading, I assume, may just average it out and you'd still need to compensate.
If all one wants is spot dying, with a little practice the old method will work fine at a fraction of the cost.

The other stuff he offers, imho, is what should make the difference.

Chris Howell

Name
Chris Howell
Actually, the ColorCue does more than just average it out. It precisely measures the color in each spot, because you're right… Each spot can be a different hue or shade of color. Practicing is absolutely the best way to develop the skills. Well said, Ofer.

Chris Howell

Name
Chris Howell
Here's another option for removing furniture dye stains on carpet that wouldn't come out from cleaning.

These were two large stains that were on the carpet in a house that was on the market. There were two stereo speakers sitting on carpet that was still damp following a cleaning. We tried removing the stains using solvents and Cobb's Stain Remover. NOTHING would touch them. So we ended up bleaching out the stains, neutralized the bleach, then re-dyed the areas to bring them back to a perfect color match, thus eliminating the need of having to replace the carpet.

IMG_1524.JPG

IMG_1525.JPG

IMG_1526.JPG

Reactions: BIG WOOD and Shorty

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom