How many of you guy's are STUCK..."In NO mans land?"

joe harper

Name
joe harper
NO MAN"S LAND....means enough work for {one and 1/2 trucks}...."but not 2 full time trucks"..

Give me some of your concern's and I "may" have some solutions for you... !gotcha!

Chris A

Name
Chris
actually I'm more like too much work for one truck, but not q u i t e enough balls for a second truck, scared to death of the idea of full time employees, keeping busy, etc. I'll still take any advice though!

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Chris Adkins said:
actually I'm more like too much work for one truck, but not q u i t e enough balls for a second truck, scared to death of the idea of full time employees, keeping busy, etc. I'll still take any advice though!

Chris,

Your 1st. move should be to work SATURDAYS...."Don't lose any potential client"

Then hire a "part time" helper..!

Look for a senior citizen looking to supplement their income.."very dependable & flexible hours"
"They can just pull hose's,vacuum,clean the van, & set-up & break down equipment.."

We find that MANY college students are looking for part time work.... :idea:

We have one employee that ADJUSTED his schedule..so he comes in at noon & works
till 7:00....He also takes some of his classes "on-line" two days a week. So he can work
full days... 8)

Chris A

Name
Chris
HARPER said:
Chris Adkins said:

Chris,

Your 1st. move should be to work SATURDAYS...."Don't lose any potential client" Already do

Then hire a "part time" helper..! Have 2

Look for a senior citizen looking to supplement their income.."very dependable & flexible hours"
"They can just pull hose's,vacuum,clean the van, & set-up & break down equipment.." Hate old people

We find that MANY college students are looking for part time work.... :idea: Got one of 'em

We have one employee that ADJUSTED his schedule..so he comes in at noon & works
till 7:00....He also takes some of his classes "on-line" two days a week. So he can work
full days... 8)

my assistant who's a student works thursdays, we usually start at 11 and work till about 6-7. He also works Saturdays.

We're picking up another (used) van and machine and we're going to start installing carpet for one of our restoration co. clients, to combat some of the overhead (my other part timer is an installer by trade.) Should all work out fine, but still nerve-racking every single day...

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Chris Adkins said:
HARPER said:
."Don't lose any potential client" Already do

Then hire a "part time" helper..! Have 2

but still nerve-racking every single day...

I don't stress at all. I work alone and every week there are customers who can't wait to fit into my schedule, and I direct them to some of the large companies who do good work like Hagopian who might be able to accommodate their needs. If your skill level is high and you provide good value at all times, you won't lose customers. Don't let the market determine your business decisions unless they are what you want to do.

I want to add something to this thread.

Sure you can always work alone and use help on bigger jobs but you will always be a one man show. There is nothing wrong with that and can be very profitable.

A good employee is an investment in your future earnings. You usually break even or make just a little on an investment initially. After the investment has matured the money really comes in. Same thing with investment property.

I think it is smart to find someone PART TIME and let him/her work with you whenever possible. Once you feel confident they are trained accordinly let them start to go solo.

Now with that said no one will ever do the job the way you do it, and to get to that level from an employee may take years. That is why it is so hard to grow a referral based cleaning operation.

It is much easier to hire cheap labor and let them hack jobs out. You can spend a boat load on mostly one time clients.

Really every owner op should want to have one great cleaning rig and use it efficiently. It is nice to have a helper that can increase production and even more important go solo when work gets hectic.

My helper is well spoken, clean cut, trustworthy, and a hard worker. Still it will be a long time before he is even close to my level.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Find your quality cleaner in the area who isn't as busy as you and sub out the work to him until you can handle the work yourself.
It's a nice, quick alternative to saying "No" to a customer and losing that money that you worked so hard to get.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Brian R AKA Corky said:
Find your quality cleaner in the area who isn't as busy as you and sub out the work to him until you can handle the work yourself.
It's a nice, quick alternative to saying "No" to a customer and losing that money that you worked so hard to get.

GO AWAY..... :!: :!: :!: This thread is for ...."real" cleaners...THAT OWN EQUIPMENT.. :roll:

Why don't you and YoUkUm...get you OWN room.... :?: geeeeezz... :!:

Brian I would never sub an A LIST client out to another cleaner.

Now price shopping hagglers I would in a heartbeat.

The problem is I want to keep all the good clients to myself.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yeah you're right Harp, cover you eyes and close your mind.

Do you sign your name with a hammer and chisel still?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
danielc said:
Brian I would never sub an A LIST client out to another cleaner.

Now price shopping hagglers I would in a heartbeat.

The problem is I want to keep all the good clients to myself.

This is just for those clients that you were going to lose anyway because you couldn't fit them in.

Sub out those and keep the A list.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
danielc said:

Sure you can always work alone and use help on bigger jobs but you will always be a one man show. There is nothing wrong with that and can be very profitable.

A good employee is an investment in your future earnings. You usually break even or make just a little on an investment initially. After the investment has matured the money really comes in. Same thing with investment property.

I think it is smart to find someone PART TIME and let him/her work with you whenever possible. Once you feel confident they are trained accordinly let them start to go solo.

Now with that said no one will ever do the job the way you do it, and to get to that level from an employee may take years. That is why it is so hard to grow a referral based cleaning operation.

It is much easier to hire cheap labor and let them hack jobs out. You can spend a boat load on mostly one time clients.

Really every owner op should want to have one great cleaning rig and use it efficiently. It is nice to have a helper that can increase production and even more important go solo when work gets hectic.

My helper is well spoken, clean cut, trustworthy, and a hard worker. Still it will be a long time before he is even close to my level.

Some good words and some assumptions that I don't agree with Daniel. It is not a given that employees will not do as good a job as the owner. It has a lot to do with who they are, how they are treated and managed and how they are compensated.

Ken
Ps Losing the term helper from your vocabulary is a big start.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
I think this thread can bring a lot of infomation as to the DIFFERENT ways a company
can "expand"...or..."down-size"....in a ever changing economy...!!!

There are a few consistiant REASON's ..O/O.. are scared to hire an employee...

1. They fear that the work will "dry-up" and they will have to lay the employee off...

2.Their operating cost are too high to afford an employee..."personal expences are too high"

3.They are set in there ways..! And do NOT have the patience to train personel properly..

4. They FEAR that they are "BREADING A COMPEDITOR".....

5.The "most" common reason is..."My customer's will NOT accept anyone but ME, because of our personal relationship & the quality work "I" perform..!!!"

6. They are afraid...to raise their prices to compensate for the additional cost of an employee.

These are just a few reason's the O/O will consistiantly use as an EXCUSE.... :!:

"I KNOW THESE ARE TRUE." Because, I used the SAME excuses for many years...! :oops:

I was FORCED to make the transition...when I had to have my back fused... !gotcha!

What amazes me is these same O/O's...are willing to pay all these "services"..to control
the MOST IMPORTANT ASSET..."phone lines"...It is the LIFE LINE to your entire business ..!

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Ken Snow said:
Some good words and some assumptions that I don't agree with Daniel. It is not a given that employees will not do as good a job as the owner. It has a lot to do with who they are, how they are treated and managed and how they are compensated.

Ken
I don't think this board deserves Ken Snow. :)

Respectfully submitted,
Steve Toburen
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Making the jump from a one truck owner-operated "job" to a "real company" with full time employees was one of the hardest things I ever did. At 57 would I have the fire in the belly to do it all over again? I honestly don't know. Probably not!

However, expanding my company forced me out of my comfort zone and in the long run was good for me both financially and personally. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with staying small as a highly compensated owner-operator IF you make provisions for your eventual retirement. The problem is too many cleaners fall "in-between" and stay there long term which is the "worst of both worlds".

PPS Harper, your list of reasons (excuses?) why cleaners don't hire employees is dead-on. However, remember that you can dramatically expand without your gross/net without hiring full time employees (or investing tons of money) by developing "commercial encapsulation routes" run by part time workers. Here is a link I'm going to timidly submit that explains the concept:

http://sfs.jondon.com/6994/resources/sp ... tes-part-1

Download it for free if ya want. Or ignore it- your choice!

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Steve
I never ignore your post...I believe in a "common sense" approach to issues... 8)

I totally agree with you that "MOST" will be stuck in the "worst of both worlds".. :cry:
We recently took over our OLDEST comp editor's business.."He was in for 42 years"..

I made a deal with him & his wife to operate the business for them "perpetually"
@ 80% of the gross..! This will allow them to have a consistent income for the rest
of their lives.

He is a good man...! But he never anticipated a "quadruple by-pass"..nor the DOWNTURN
in the real estate market.. :shock: His business is worth NOTHING in this economy...!!

Ps..This guy was one of the 1st MASTER CLEANER'S in Fl...."He was NO hack"... !gotcha!

Pss..We do 95% residential work...I am Not a ENCAP ...fan... :roll: IMO..it has RUINED
the commercial side of the business.. :cry: This procedure has "flooded" the commercial
part of our industry.. :x "Many great cleaners have been put out of business with this
entry level FAD..!"

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
ok harp lets hear it.
i have a full time guy which works every day alone
i fill in and do 2 or 3 jobs myself do'nt kill myself by any means
and give estimates when time permits.
I have actually been stayin pretty busy

When days are light or not enough for 2 trucks we team up.
I'm pretty happy.But could do more Would really like to have mikeys
averages for a truck.

I can'nt never see myself sittin around
kinda new to the full time ccer gig :roll:
So what can i do to expand and then what do i do?
Randy

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
HARPER said:
GO AWAY..... :!: :!: :!: This thread is for ...."real" cleaners...THAT OWN EQUIPMENT.. :roll:

Why did my name get brought ito this dribble?

There are other considerations that can depend on your location and goals.

I found that to maximize profit a company has to be a owner operator or have over 4 trucks with techs.

That middle size without the owner cleaning can be a tough row to hoe.

IE: 15-20% profit on 3 techs or 90% profit on owner operator.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
handdi said:
ok harp lets hear it.
i have a full time guy which works every day alone
i fill in and do 2 or 3 jobs myself do'nt kill myself by any means
and give estimates when time permits.
I have actually been stayin pretty busy

When days are light or not enough for 2 trucks we team up.
I'm pretty happy.But could do more Would really like to have mikeys
averages for a truck.

I can'nt never see myself sittin around
kinda new to the full time ccer gig :roll:
So what can i do to expand and then what do i do?
Randy

Hey Buddy...!
I think you are doing the GIG...perfect for you.. 8)

Remember...You have been very sucessful in a short period of time.. :!: :!:
Go at your own pace...! You are doing great.. :!:

My only ADVICE to you is...
Keep you ARSE out of the HOUSE... !gotcha!
Your wife hasn't seen this much of YOU in 15 years.... :lol: {Randy drove 18 wheeler}

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Ken Snow said:
danielc said:

Some good words and some assumptions that I don't agree with Daniel. It is not a given that employees will not do as good a job as the owner. It has a lot to do with who they are, how they are treated and managed and how they are compensated. Ken

I had a very long response typed out and I decided not to say it. I don't pretend I know everything because that is foolish, but I get tired of saying the same thing over and over again. I've worked for companies that do several million a year in carpet cleaning, janitorial, rugs and no restoration. I've worked with companies as big as Chavez's for restoration. There is a common thing between those companies that have grown and have been successful, and that is how they treat their employees. The ones who have people in management that have stayed with those companies for years, and will be long term employees those people are well taken care of.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Dave Yoakum said:
HARPER said:

Why did my name get brought ito this dribble?

There are other considerations that can depend on your location and goals.

I found that to maximize profit a company has to be a owner operator or have over 4 trucks with techs.

That middle size without the owner cleaning can be a tough row to hoe.

IE: 15-20% profit on 3 techs or 90% profit on owner operator.

Dave.

Please....I don't won't to HurT you feeling's...BUT...how can anyone HERE begin to give
your nUmBer'S or aDvIcE...any consideration... :?:

You can't even AFFORD ..the $5.00 a month....donation for THIS BOARD.... :roll:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
HARPER said:
Dave.

Please....I don't won't to HurT you feeling's...BUT...how can anyone HERE begin to give
your nUmBer'S or aDvIcE...any consideration... :?:

You can't even AFFORD ..the $5.00 a month....donation for THIS BOARD.... :roll:

You got me there Harpo,

I make less than 5 bucks a month, WTF?

No Dave you are just cheap as hell.

You use an electric tm because you are too cheap to invest in a real money making dual wand unit. Electic is still good and has it's place.

Your DIY website sucks. It could be so much better. Loose the second grade vocab on your hompage. It doesn't even make sense.

"I Have been delighting our clients
in Lincoln Nebraska with our
unsurpassed residential and
commercial: Carpet care,Upholstery
cleaning, House cleaning and
Allergen control for over 25 years!"

Try this: I have been delighting Lincoln Nebraska residents for over 25 years with my unsurpassed residential and commercial carpet and upholstery cleaning, house cleaning, and allergen control.

And yes toss some coin Mikes way. Oh and don't be cheap. You can donate more than 5 dollars.

You say you are the king of referrals. Your pockets should be lined with big face hundreds.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
It is worded that way because on my Google map listing it shows up as :

Call for your Free Quote:423-7200.Delighting Lincolnites for over 25 years. carpet cleaning, upholstery cleaning, pet deodorizer, anti-allergen/dustmite ...

It's like advertising crack for prospects.

Anyway, Are you and Harpo getting a cut?

Or are you two the self appointed deputies in Mikey land?

This ain't Mayberry. So. why does it need two Barneys?

DAVE are you serious?

My business have gone to the next level in my eyes. I am a better cleaner, make more money, and owe it all to the advice and knowledge I have received here.

You are either a 40k per year owner op or you are making bank (over a hundred k).

You say you have the best referral marketing system.

If you were knocking out 20k per month, you would have a real cleaning rig out of neccessity.

If you can't donate 5 dollars per month, quit posting.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Can we stop the my dick is bigger than your dick crap and get back to the topic at hand ?

HARPER

Lets say a guy is at the 1.5 truck status. What are 5 keys things you could recommend them to do in order take it to the next level ?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
Lets say a guy is at the 1.5 truck status. What are 5 keys things you could recommend them to do in order take it to the next level ?

As with most things with this business.

1.Marketing.
2.Goals.
3. Management
4. Profitability.
5.Service area

Mike,

Call off your goons the pressure is killing me.

Is it a donation or a knee breaking offence for not "donating"?

Steve the next level could be as easy as lowering overhead, charging more, offering more services, and increasing your net.

I don't see anything wrong with an owner op company with one tech that averages 700 dollars per day, 200-250 days out of the year if overhead is low, everything is paid for, and the owner saves and invests.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
How do you lower overhead when you simultaneously have to increase costs with more pay for new employees. Workman comp , insurance, uniforms along with now costs for a second truck and related costs, more chems, increased marketing ect....?

Charging more could lower your client base which has to increase now to keep the second truck busy.

Just saying, As simple as lowering overhead and charge more.

Is not so simple in the light of day.

Could you be a bit more specific?

Mikey P

Administrator
you bring it upon your self Dave

what with the constant hyping of your material the free link in your signature and bashing of all other methods of marketing I'm surprised you've lasted here this long.

I really dont give a shit about your five bucks, its obviously the others you should be worried about.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom