How many of you guy's are STUCK..."In NO mans land?"

joe harper

Name
joe harper
BLewis said:
Harp, Thanks for the suggestions. For the record we do 60% resy currently and unfortunately I make more per hour on commercial than I do resy and I know that is back asswords, hence why I am increasing my rooms rates a little next year. Start my new guy at 8am tommorrow and he is a young buck that seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Harp, explain why the 3rd year is the most dangerous for a new business so I'm not guessing. To guess I would say they try to grow to quick, and the tax burden catches up with them unexpectantly.

BinGO.!!!...You got it... !gotcha!

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Billy, I have been hiring recently retired men that want to supplement their retirement income. They are extremely flexible with the days and times they work. No child support withholding, alimony, sick children etc,etc,etc. I have three men that fill a week, one works Monday/ Tuesday, one works Wed/ Fri, Last one works Thursday/ Saturday.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I'm just curious what daniel is pulling down a year with his "multi truck" operation. He's knocking Dave for what he thinks he makes, but I'm betting there are a number of O/O's here that kick his ass (daniel) working alone. Just another blowhard IMO.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Doug Cox said:
I'm just curious what daniel is pulling down a year with his "multi truck" operation. He's knocking Dave for what he thinks he makes, but I'm betting there are a number of O/O's here that kick his ass (daniel) working alone. Just another blowhard IMO.

Doug it just comes with the territory.

All the chest beating, mine is bigger than yours, Know it all attitudes is what helped to lead many cleaners to take on the risk of being self employed in the first place.

If they were timid or second guessed their actions. They likely would of been to scared to become self employed.

It's rough for some to then enter the second phase and open their mind and let new information to come in from others.

The my way or the highway, condescending aditudes some seem to have. just doesn't work for those on the giving or receiving end.

With a different strokes for different folks approach we can all learn from the each other's successes and failures.

It would also encourage more free and open participation on this board.

RIP IT

Name
Chris
Great thread Joe, thanks for starting it.
I reckon this is probably the biggest problem for most decent operators that have been in business for a few years.
I am very much in the same situation and have done most of the things you have outlined.
Diversifying is a lot easier than some might think. Obviously we are in the home 'environment' and build up a good relationship with our customers so it's not so much a matter of 'selling' them a new service, just mentioning it will very often create new work.
With a decent truckmount behind me I do:
Water Damage Restoration
Carpet and Lounge Cleaning and protection
Leather Lounge Cleaning
Tile and Grout cleaning
Pest Control.

Most of my work is Water Damage which is 24/7/365 ( and has been for over 15 years ) so I have teamed up with some mates who run their own business as I do and we share work when we are busy so we can have holidays and weekends off but still get income. This type of work I feel is the most difficult to have 'part time' help as you never really know when a job might come in.

If I send a job to one of my subcontractors it remains 'my' job as they hand out and use my business magnets and invoices but they are responsible for the work, so I know the job will get done right and I still keep 35% of the jobs value.

When we want to take holidays we share the $ 50/50 so you can have a holiday knowing that the phone is being answered, customers are being looked after and you come back to a handful of money.

Next step for me will be to have a part time helper in the van because I cannot trust an employee on their own with my equipment or clients.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
He pulls down $157,500 per truck with averaging $700.00 a day 225 days a year :lol:

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
If that is all the yearly average/daily average/days working per truck perhaps the number of trucks should be cut down and have them run 280-325 days a year and average $900-$1100 per day. Big diff in ultimate profit per unit.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Ken Snow said:
If that is all the yearly average/daily average/days working per truck perhaps the number of trucks should be cut down and have them run 280-325 days a year and average $900-$1100 per day. Big diff in ultimate profit per unit.

TRU-DAT...profit will be @ least 30%..higher... :shock:
UP-To...50%...if you calculate the operating cost of the Unit that is Eliminated... !gotcha!

joe harper

Name
joe harper
HERE IS A LITTLE "NUMBERS GAME YOU CAN PLAY".... :idea:

This is a GENERAL or ADVERAGE way to find out if you prices are "what they should be"... :!:

WATCH the "hour meter" on your TM's... :!:
Then compare your "gross reciept's" against this formula.... !gotcha!

33 & 36 "blowers"...should operate @ $100.00 per "machine" hour...

45 & 47 "blower's" ......................@ $150.00 ...........................

56 & 59 "blower's" ......................@ $200.00 ...........................

Vortex & A-Tech's ......................@ $300.00 ...........................

If you are operating a "sucessful" business...?

The HOUR'S on your ......UNIT X $ xxx.xx ...... "will tell you if your service is PRICED correctly."

ps..Porty's will operate @ $50.00 to $ 65.00....per hour... !gotcha!

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
HARPER said:

This is a GENERAL or ADVERAGE way to find out if you prices are "what they should be"... :!:

The HOUR'S on your ......UNIT X $ xxx.xx ...... "will tell you if your service is PRICED correctly."

IMHO

Dollars per hours has a lot more to do with marketing, Than it has to do with your cleaning tools.

Carpet protector, anti-allergen, deodorizer, ect doesn't need a truckmount.

Adding extra traffic areas or some furniture doesn't take much more time.

I know. You must be using that goverment math.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
HARPER said:

I was going to stay positive in this thread but that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Brian R AKA Corky said:
HARPER said:

I was going to stay positive in this thread but that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

@ least you were 50% positive... :lol:

This thread is "a little"...over your head... :roll:
I won't tell you to "Shut-Up".....but maybe you could be .....Shhhhhhhhhhh. :idea:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
It's Waaaaayy over my head...I think they call it "La La land" :lol:

Ok, it's not like you've never hijacked any of my threads or anything. :roll:

Alright, alright... I'll stay out of your thread now and let you get back to your truckfest.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
There are lots of ways to analyse things and I think Joe's has some merit. Remember he said machine hours so if you are sitting at home not working the machine isn't running and no dollars get factored against it.

One of our measurements is additional items as % of cleaning $. This can give you an idea of who your add-on producers are. Managing with that or having an add-on bonus system can help make everyone better, increase their pay & revenue.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ken Snow said:
There are lots of ways to analyse things and I think Joe's has some merit. Remember he said machine hours so if you are sitting at home not working the machine isn't running and no dollars get factored against it.

One of our measurements is additional items as % of cleaning $. This can give you an idea of who your add-on producers are. Managing with that or having an add-on bonus system can help make everyone better, increase their pay & revenue.

See!!! Ok, now I'll leave. lol

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Blower size is a "relative medium" to reach an ADVERAGE... :roll:

For EXAMPLE..."Most new or part-time cleaners are NOT going to be investing in a $100K TM.."

I would guess that the average cleaner on this board...will only average 3 jobs a day.....
5 days a week...for 40 weeks in a year... :!: {climate & capital are big factors}

That is 15 jobs per week x 40 weeks = 600 job's a year... :idea:

"machine hours" to complete the 600 jobs...should be between 400 to 500 hours... :!:

Now: do the math:::::$100.00 x 450 hrs. = $45,000......for a entry level TM & a new O/O..!

The larger blowers are indicative to the EXPENSE of the TM... !gotcha!

Ken,

While we all agree that your company is NOT average... :!:
It would be interesting ....To apply this formula applies to your "BUTLERS".. :?: :?:

ps..I am sure your 47 blowers average @ least $150.00 per machine hour...."cleaning only"

joe harper

Name
joe harper
ronbeatty said:
Harper, Not bad on the hourly rate. I missed it by $15.00 on a four year average. Now if I could get parts from Sapphire Scientific in a decent amount of time, I might make it this year. :x

Re-FiGurE...DAMMIT..."I couldn't be OFF that far.."... :p :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Don't count the "CASH JOB'S".... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p !gotcha!

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
HARPER said:

On "posted" jobs - $314.55 per hour..............................over the past 3 yrs.

Harpman is pretty smart - stubborn - but smart. 8)

joe harper

Name
joe harper
boazcan said:
HARPER said:

On "posted" jobs - $314.55 per hour..............................over the past 3 yrs.

I....."KNOW"....you are hIdInG some $$$$$$$$$$......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !gotcha!

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
HARPER said:
boazcan said:
HARPER said:

I....."KNOW"....you are hIdInG some $$$$$$$$$$......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !gotcha!

That includes all those d@mn freebies too!

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Dave Yoakum said:
Ken,

So, do you also factor in blower size when you calculate productivity for your techs?

We've never done this analysis Dave, but I believe we have all the data from our weekly vehicle inspection reports so it shouldbe easy to do a few to test the formula.

Ken

joe harper

Name
joe harper
handdi said:
harp u the man
have a 4008 blower mines 185 hr

"That is because ...You are SMARTER than the AVERAGE bear.."

Good job ...Randy..!!! Keep those prices up "where they belong"... 8)

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
HARPER said:
Steve
I never ignore your post...I believe in a "common sense" approach to issues... 8)

I totally agree with you that "MOST" will be stuck in the "worst of both worlds".. :cry:
We recently took over our OLDEST comp editor's business.."He was in for 42 years"..

I made a deal with him & his wife to operate the business for them "perpetually"
@ 80% of the gross..! This will allow them to have a consistent income for the rest
of their lives.

He is a good man...! But he never anticipated a "quadruple by-pass"..nor the DOWNTURN
in the real estate market.. :shock: His business is worth NOTHING in this economy...!!

Ps..This guy was one of the 1st MASTER CLEANER'S in Fl...."He was NO hack"... !
That was pretty nice of you, Harper. I'm impressed. (I don't care what Robison says!) :)

Hopefully the arrangement will work out for you too. 20% isn't too much of a marketing percentage for Grade A long term customers.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS This is a good wake-up, warning story for many on this board.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Steve Toburen said:
HARPER said:
Steve
I never ignore your post...I believe in a "common sense" approach to issues... 8)

I totally agree with you that "MOST" will be stuck in the "worst of both worlds".. :cry:
We recently took over our OLDEST comp editor's business.."He was in for 42 years"..

I made a deal with him & his wife to operate the business for them "perpetually"
@ 80% of the gross..! This will allow them to have a consistent income for the rest
of their lives.

He is a good man...! But he never anticipated a "quadruple by-pass"..nor the DOWNTURN
in the real estate market.. :shock: His business is worth NOTHING in this economy...!!

Ps..This guy was one of the 1st MASTER CLEANER'S in Fl...."He was NO hack"... !
That was pretty nice of you, Harper. I'm impressed. (I don't care what Robison says!) :)

Hopefully the arrangement will work out for you too. 20% isn't too much of a marketing percentage for Grade A long term customers.

Steve Toburen
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS This is a good wake-up, warning story for many on this board.

Steve,
The ability for this couple ..just to lose the overhead of keeping the business open
is a WINFALL..! He has lots of equipment to sell and the 20% is just a bonus for them ..
like a "savings account.."

Of course if they choose to do any advertising..? "It will benefit all parties involved".. 8)

They have a loyal following..and they will continue to receive REFFERALS from our work..!
This is small community, and their company was well established.! He can actively stay in
communication with his clients through his community service involvements... !gotcha!

He is NOW calling his OLD commercial accounts & working their customer base...
he was always a good Marketer..Now he has the TIME to pursue growth in his BASE..
"Without having to do the PHYSICAL LABOR... :idea:

C

cucu

im enjoying this ...apart from yokie,s adverts...but some of things i dont see are suggestions as to where you can go and who to talk to /getting past the gate keepers to get the work we all love
im sure to some here it is as easy as taking a pee, but for others it is a nightmare (that would be me) etc.
and how your time managment of your own time is very important...and of course your biz plan (wft) and can /does a small company need such a thing

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom