IICRC.. going going gone?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I don't know Richard, if the right group of people came together, with the right amount of money, and offered more value with what the cleaners / restorers want, it could happen. Not to discredit any work that has been done to provide education or towards the works getting the standards established. The new group would have to leave standards to the IICRC but they could however provide better training and level the educational playing field. It would almost have to a business and as it grew it would expand locations to make traveling easy.

I know there is/was an instructor attempting to make a facility where every class could be taught and it focused on more hands on. I'm not sure where they are with their endeavor or if it's still underway.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You make good points Hoody but it would take some pretty deep pockets with someone willing to risk a bunch of it.

I get nothing from either party (I missed out on the million dollars giveaways) so I really don't care one way or another.

But I believe the ICRA has about as much chance as McDowells unseating McDonald's. :winky:

MCDOWELLS_zpsvmprtnqp.jpg

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Here's my question: What's a better option for people who want that type of training for themselves and employees? Maybe I'm skewed since I'm looking at it from the point of a distributor, but if I get a customer in here who has been doing carpet cleaning and is looking to get into the water restoration industry, I'll always recommend the IICRC WRT class because I don't know what better option for him is.

And to be perfectly honest, we lose money on IICRC classes most of the time. For us, we see it as a way to help our customers be successful, and we know that when our customers are successful, it'll help us be successful.

I guess all I'm trying to say is, and maybe I'm ignorant, but what's the better option?

You're doing what you customers want and need, which is part of good customer service. Filling classes and making a profit on them is an art it took us years to perfect; it then got tougher when it wasn't me providing the training myself and we had to start paying for airline fees, motel rooms, as well as the instructors daily rates. We make it work and you can feel free to call me any time about it; I owe Chris Pond a deep debt for all he's done for us, so you have an "open checkbook" here when it comes to any help I can give you.

To an answer for everyone watching this thread:

One of the things you might already be doing is providing non-certification type training in the way of shorter, more hands on oriented classes that teach specific skills your customers want and need.

A few that go well for us here:

Spot and stain removal
Upholstery cleaning basics
Advanced upholstery cleaning
Tile, grout, and concrete cleaning
Urine odor control
Equipment maintenance and repair

I hope this helps.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Its the knowledge you gain that is gold.

Where you get it and whether it comes with a patch or certificate suitable for framing, has little value to me. :winky:

Name
Brad Gouveia
What IICRC needs to do is spend there money/time on educating the consumer. Then it would be worth the time and money to be certified

The IICRC should take a look at what the ASE has done for the automotive industry. I know when I go to have a vehicle worked on I like to see a ASE logo.

Also why do they not have a huge booth at connections/experience each year?

Name
Lee Stockwell
A three day work-along would probably be enough to get the ball rolling. Chavez, Mikey, Martin, Gill, Gargan, King, McKendree, and so many more....

Reactions: Jeremy N
Name
Lee Stockwell
Chavez, I wouldn't give a flip for your cleaning skills personally, I'd want to see and experience how your office works and flows. OK, maybe your upholstery tricks too....

Braden bell

Name
Braden bell
I was trained by and worked with a iicrc master cleaner for almost a decade. I learned a lot from him. But I've learned a lot more from the cleaning boards and resources that I heard about on the boards. I think if your motivated to search out the right information it's all out there.

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
Lee- When you get those ride alongs figured out include me! There is nothing better than seeing firsthand what you old timers have learned the hard way. I would love to learn the restoration side from Chavez, the marketing side from Tom King, the multi truck side from Gargan and Gill, the single truck side from Marty and Lee and the plain ole experience side from nearly all of you.

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
If I was going to join a Union. I would like that union to work for me. The IICRC seems to be more worried about the Carpet Manufacturers and less about the cleaners. They also seem to be more worried about trying to legislate that small businesses have to join them. Just my perceptions of the IICRC.

Reactions: Shorty

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Back in the 80's each association has their own trade show. With ASCR and ISSA along with BSCAI and a few others they totaled up to around 15. Some of the smaller trade shows would have 20 attendees and the vendor would talk to each other.

Then along came Connections and the small associations all joined together. It was wonderful for vendors. Now they are going back to the old days of way too many shows. Too many vendors will just select the best shows and attend those and once again the smaller shows will just wither away.

While George may not have been a carpet cleaner he had it right:

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana (16 December 1863 in Madrid, Spain – 26 September 1952 in Rome, Italy) was a philosopher, essayist, poet and novelist.

F

FB7777

Your logic is spot on Bill

Problem is egos and greed

And add the fact that some of these trade coordinators hate each other's guts

Reactions: Shorty

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
My first and of course best IICRC class was taught by Bill Yeadon. My business is IICRC certified. That is only because I have a relatively young biz. We need all the education we can get but at some point I will stop paying for a certificate if it only comes along with basic education.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Mikey, Thanks for the opportunity to clear some things up.

Mikey: Feels like every day I hear something else about the organization in a negative manner. never something positive unless it's a board member selling me on the future. The negativity toward the IICRC was built up over decades of dubious politicking and selfishness. The new guys have righted the ship, but understand why the negativity persists. It serves as a reminder not to ever slip back into the "quick and dirty" ways of the past.

Word is they will be putting on two trade shows in Las Vegas this year. The IICRC will put on nothing. They're in the certification and standards writing business. The IICRCA (A for Associations) will be partnering with the RIA in May and ISSA in October, but both are existing shows that will be enlarging, so no new shows at all. The IICRCA portion of those shows will certainly draw interest from the 50,000 IICRC registrants, 6,000-plus Certified Firms, and thousands of association and franchise members, so some of the same vendors will indeed want to be there.

Not a single vendor I have spoken to wants to support or attend. You're a Brand EX partner!?

Two shoes a year is what the majority wants, one east, one west. Looking at the details of how the IICRC show will pan out, I don't possibly see them coming out ahead in this race of 2015 to own the big top. I'm pretty confident about 2015, since I know what's going to be done and how many attendees will think of the IICRCA EVENT as their own. By 2016 there won't be any question which show is the center of the industry. The tag line for the first event is Make Money Save Money, and we're serious about attendees walking away with great information to help them do just that.

All im.seeing is wasted time and effort attempting to put on shows that nobdy wants.
and why are they not being held in the building in Vegas? The Vegas HQ is too small to hold a conference and tradeshow. It might be used for one of the future small, niche shows.

The first show is at a $2500 a booth venue with no outside display options. Not quite right. While we do have to honor the price of an RIA exhibit booth, we're giving our exhibitors a lot of extra value for their money beyond just floor space, and those that exhibit at both shows are going to get a great deal. We also have a gorgeous outdoor display area right at the entrance to the indoor exhibits. People that want to show running trucks are going to be spoiled by how nice the area is.

The second show is back at the old LVH dump... The LVH was sold, became The Westgate, and the new owner has already invested over 200 million in the revamp. People that liked the old hotel's tradeshow area will still like it, but now they'll like the rooms and restaurants as well. http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/ka...siegels-westgate-seizes-lvh-rock-vault-rocks/

Given that the IICRCA is working with ISSA in October and attendees of both will have access to each other's shows, this will be a killer event. Pay to get into the IICRCA event (will be way cheaper than ISSA)and also get into the 700 plus exhibits at ISSA. The 10,000 attendees of ISSA will be able to atttend the IICRCA show at no additional cost, and if even a fraction swing by, the IICRCA exhibitors will see more buyers than they'll know what to do with. Again, the IICRCA controls the cost of the booths in October, so our exhibitors that go to both IICRCA shows in 2015 are going to get a great deal.
Maybe the Great Oz will chime in on what the Vegas building is being used for. Meeetings at this point. The IICRC and IICRCA staff will share the office space beginning a few weeks from now. As the classrooms are finished more courses will be held there, and those classrooms will be available for rent by instructors, schools, associations and other private parties. One special room will be set up for "wet work" - things that get messy when hands-on training is needed.
I found it amusing that Barry Costa walked up to the IICRC booth at Surfaces last week to be greeted with a "Hi have you heard of our organization?" from some young chippy... Wonder who that was, since the booth was manned (personned?) by Claudia Lezell, Maury Astley and Patrick Winters, all of whom would love being called a young chippy.
Hoody: Doesn't the IRCA have Service Monster Joe on board with them? IICRCA does indeed have Joe on board. He's doing exactly what we need, pushing the organization into the current world of on-line relevance. The IICRCA just hired a full-time tech and we're excited about having Joe's direction to keep him on track.
Brad: Also why do they not have a huge booth at connections/experience each year? Connections is dead, killed by fast and loose attitudes among those in charge. A huge booth at Brand EX wouldn't make the cut as a good marketing value, so probably not going to happen.

PS: Many vendors are going to be exhibiting at 15 to 60 related shows, so reducing the number they have to be at is what they asked the IICRCA to do. Attendees that offer multiple services and currently have to go to multiple shows may find that the larger breadth of the IICRCA show will mean less traveling for them as well.

Mikey P

Administrator
I can see why they hired you to be the PR man.

Smooth man, smooth!

Bryan did I hear correctly that the ISSA show and the IICRC (A if you must) show will be at two different locations in Vegas? Do you think vendors that normal display at ISSA would bring two of everything in order to be at both? Kinda funky.

The tag line for the first event is Make Money Save Money, and we're serious about attendees walking away with great information to help them do just that.

What show doesn't promise that?

You're a Brand EX partner!?

and when you guys finally produce a change worth mentioning other than a window decal, I'll support you too.

Last edited:

kingjoelking

Supportive Member

Hoody: Doesn't the IRCA have Service Monster Joe on board with them? IICRCA does indeed have Joe on board. He's doing exactly what we need, pushing the organization into the current world of on-line relevance. The IICRCA just hired a full-time tech and we're excited about having Joe's direction to keep him on track.

Wouldnt it be helpful if he kept his product current in on-line relevance first?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom