IICRC.. going going gone?

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Thanks for that info Oz, much appreciated.

Free admission to these events would be a great incentive for OVERSEAS VISITORS.

Having to travel long distances + the extra expenses that "stateside" attendees don't have, would make these trade shows/conventions/seminars more economically viable for overseas visitors & I feel that many more would then be inclined to attend.

The extra sales generated would be a win-win situation for all concerned.

I would really love to be at ICE, but this time of year for where I live, it's impossible.

:yoda:

Mikey P

Administrator
Connections07028.jpg

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
  • We have two guys in town still running around with Clean Trust decals on their back windows. I wonder if they we given a refund and replacement decal
  • Maybe the Great Oz will chime in on what the Vegas building is being used for.
  • I found it amusing that Barry Costa walked up to the IICRC booth at Surfaces last week to be greeted with a "Hi have you heard of our organization?" from some young chippy...
  • If I were Aramsco, Jon-Don, Bruders, Nilfisk and the like, I'd be telling on Cooper and Tony to kiss and make up or we'll do this ourselves.
  • Monkey avatar....lol, Tony you goof.
You have it right there Mike

The 3 big distributors needs to have closed room meeting and telling all 3 factions.
ICE, Experience & IICRC one event 2 location each year.
They need to tell all major vendors support with us or risk not being in the show room.
We need a independent trade show that is a non profit with a staff to run it and a volunteer board run program committee.
It seems to be the same 10-15 people that speak every year and most of them are running an infomercial.

IICRC training needs a over haul.
I send guys to training after we train them.

INSTRUCTORS STOP TRYING TO TELL TECHS HOW TO RUN A COMPANY, WHAT TO CHARGE AND MARKETING.
TEACH THEM HOW TO BE GOOD CARPET CLEANERS. PERIOD.
It is after all a carpet cleaning class not a business building class.

The IICRC office staff is terribly rude.
When I pay for a tech to attend I expect to communicate with you.

The fact that this training is not online is from the Stone Age.
We need to learn the science at home with your company, walk-in test and spend hands on training for 2 days. That would help new owners and supplement your company training much better.
You should get some light training on small repairs. Equipment that is running correctly is also a big part of being a good cleaner not just knowing the PH scale and TACT.

They should also use one line of chem for training to help with implementation. Let the chem companies pay for a class to use their brand, you could choose classes because of chem used.
I know one line is not the answer for all uses. This not being able to tell you the best is bogus they all do it over dinner or lunch.

Last edited:
Name
Lee Stockwell
Nothing like going to an ISSA show to illustrate how fragmented the rest of us have become. I went when it was in Chicago at McCormick Place. Many awesome acres.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
jesus i wish i could remember what it was that i sED to Tony in my drunken stuper in Nashville......
but it does SEEM to be working......:very_drunk:

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Lee Stockwell
No organization or group of distributors has the clout to dictate how the trade shows will play out. The market will decide that.

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
Changes are coming...

We've been hearing that for how long now?

All im.seeing is wasted time and effort attempting to put on shows that nobdy wants.

and why are they not being held in the building in Vegas?

The first show is at a $2500 a booth venue with no outside display options.

The second show is back at the old LVH dump...

And both are just weeks after already existing Experience shows.

They should quit wasting time , money and resources trying to teach Larry Cooper a lesson and work on improving what they do best, teaching regional classes and making the move to online courses
How much longer do we have to wait until they figure out the internet is not a fad?
Online schools should be their main if not only, goal right now.

Wheelright needs to step aside and let somebody with no knowledge of the past history of the iicrc drive the ship for a while. His vindictiveness has the already sinking ship headed strait for an iceberg.

online course options would prob cause serious back lash from suppliers how benefit a great deal from holding classes at their facilities. I agree that online options would be a great idea but as always if you follow the money trail you can usually figure out the true motivation behind most stupid decisions. I have taken several IICRC courses and to be honest my crew and i have come away better for it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Of the local ones around here they tell me they lose their ass on most classe they put on and even with sales might break even. They say they do it for the cleaner and classes we're requested they would not sponsor them.
????

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Of the local ones around here they tell me they lose their ass on most classe they put on and even with sales might break even. They say they do it for the cleaner and classes we're requested they would not sponsor them.
????

It is a big misconception that distributors make tons of money on classes. Only 4 classes really draw WRT, ASD, CCT and FST. There are 22 other categories and of these the average number of students is less than 10. At Jon-Don a 2 day class is 269.00. With 10 people in class it is a money loser. Most of the students are techs which means they have no spending authorization. If they made money associations would still be holding classes.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Bill that mirrors what I've heard from our KC Interlink rep and they draw 4-5 times what our local distributor does.

Porkchop they saw the real money in the auto game is the service. I can't say for sure but if you look the the sucessful dealerships they do have large service departments.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Yeah, my Chevy salesman says they don't make any money on cars sales too.

Its true Marty. I've been the trainer to other distributors and hire trainers for my distributorshop. It's a "break even" at best.

Most of us would prefer the old model where associations sponsored the classes.

What I think all distributors would like would be to have our customers learn "the science" on line and to come to us to be trained/coached on how to use cleaning machines and products properly.

There could be/should be a place for veteran cleaners to fill this need for trainers who could be "guides on the side" rather than "sages on stages"

There will always be a need for conventional classroom training as well, but with a different, more 21st century approach. Trainers like Bill Yeadon and Jeff Cross are among those trainers who are ahead of the curve in the way they reach today's younger audiences.

cobra

Name
DJ Holland
My opinion is Jim and Tom got the right idea. Take online course. Then take the test. Then and only then do they proceed to class, which shouldvbe hands-on only to reinforce the class. They will have both knowledge and at least some? Feel of the actual work.
This lowers the feeling of being overwhelmed at class, while giving each owner time to teach the material they are learning( in the field). Much smoother transition!

Reactions: Desk Jockey

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
The group is headed up by Jim Holland and Barry Costa, who I believe to be one of the most trusted instructors in the industry. This is what many people have been asking for which is skill testing not written testing.

Contrary to popular opinion it is not designed to compete with IICRC. It is a different way of looking at cleaning education. Whether it makes a dent in the industry remains to be seen.

From the Jon-Don view we look at any learning opportunity as something to be checked out.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
This is what many people have been asking for which is skill testing not written testing.
Not to be a jerk...but I can't help what I am, who are these non literate people? ;)

What else can't they read? Safety signs, labels? If they really can't pass a written test should they really have be certified by our industry?

Sounds douba... doumb... doumm... doumb... dumb.

Sorrree I had to axe sumone how to spell it.;)

:lol:

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Richard,
One of the many things I have learned as an instructor is how many people have reading disabilities. This includes dyslexia. On a side note many of the most successful CEO's have dyslexia. For some reason they process information differently which in many cases allow them to look at things differently allowing them to create unique companies.

This doesn't mean they can't read they just cannot process written exam questions 30 hours after they have plopped down in a chair to review terms they have never seen before. Then add the fact that English is a second language for many people only complicates the issue.

I have seen many students who did not pass the exam that I know would be conscientious technicians. I taught a CCT class last week and I had 3 students who had failed the class 3 months ago. We allow them to retake the class at no charge and just pay for the retake fee. They each told me they felt so much more confident at the end of the second class.

I agree with statements above that a tech shouldn't take a class until they have worked on a van for at least a month. Unfortunately some owners abdicate their responsibility and ship the new guy off to a class. Then they wonder why he doesn't come back as a completely experienced technician.

For some they may never be able to pass a written exam for many of the reasons stated above. The ICRA performance testing may be an option for these students. For other more experienced techs they may just want to test themselves to see how well they really know their job.

As I stated time will tell if this works out, but what we are doing now is not working for the current crop of techs. Over 20% of CCT techs do not pass the exam currently.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Personally think the whole set up is wrong. Most people cant learn 1x, regardless of how smert they are.

Education should be set up as an ongoing process not 1x event. Nobody can learn that way.
The problem is to do that has to be online, now you see the conundrum....

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
how about instructors have to go out on a truck for a week and get re qualified

Every time I clean carpet, upholstery, or tile for friends, family, or a rental property, I'm reminded:

1. How hard the work itself can be.
2. How many "little things" can make the job easier, or on the negative side, can cost time or be frustrating.
3. How hard the work itself can be.
4. How much fewer products I want to use than I have available to me to use.
5. How hard the work itself can be.
6. How many things I should be teaching in class that I don't have time for that are really important.
7. Have I said how hard the work itself can be?

Yes, its good for us trainers to get out in the field as often as possible, and I'm sure that most do.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
What value would there be in these guys pushing a wand all day?
I would much rather they were on the outside looking in. Everybody plays a different role...

Terry's attitude is just the CC counter-culture of "dont tell me what to do!!"

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Education should be set up as an ongoing process not 1x event. Nobody can learn that way.
The problem is to do that has to be online, now you see the conundrum....
That's how I see it. Developing a whole program for the few, seems like a waste of time.

Instead they should be catering to the masses. They should be developing a plan of advanced training not reaching out to the few that can't get past written testing.
:arrrr:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom