New dodge vans...bad ass!

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I can't wait to install a machine I the new doge vans. Those things look like the best van EVER. Thinking about buying one for a delivery/demo van. Need to see when they will have a fuel kit for them.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
For my money I'd go with the new Ford Transit before considering the Dodge.
http://www.newcartestdrive.com/sneakpreview.cfm?ReviewID=441

Each of these vans (Transit & Fiat) has had a long history in Europe.
But the Ford van has a better reputation over there.

14s-transit-1.jpg

Name
Lee Stockwell
Side by side the Promaster seemed MUCH better that the Sprinter. Nicer looking too.

I could stand with several inches to spare, yet it is not much taller than my E 350.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Why can't you fab yore own fuel kit? It's just an elbow inside a pipe.

I had my van fuel tank off a few weeks ago to replace a fuel pump. While I was at it, I extended the machine fuel pickup to the bottom of the tank so I don't need to fill up as often. I'm not skeert of running out of van fuel; I can read a fuel gage. It's really nice to not need to fill up every time the tank level gets to one-half full because the machine stops drawing at one-quarter.

Last edited:
Name
Torrey Whitaker
Makes me want to buy a couple new Chevy expresses before this country only builds these euro trash buses...

I'd have to let the dust settle on these dodges before is buy a first run model.

Reactions: Newman

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Each of these vans (Transit & Fiat) has had a long history in Europe.
But the Ford van has a better reputation

Ford transits -historically speaking- were a joke even compared to the older boxier Ducatos.

I do have some experience with those vans. (living 22years in Europe helps)

The Ram Promaster is NOT a Fiat van. It is based on the Fiat Ducati and the outside is the Fiat but underneath is where its different.

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Why can't you fab yore own fuel kit? It's just an elbow inside a pipe.

I had my van fuel tank off a few weeks ago to replace a fuel pump. While I was at it, I extended the machine fuel pickup to the bottom of the tank so I don't need to fill up as often. I'm not skeert of running out of van fuel; I can read a fuel gage. It's really nice to not need to fill up every time the tank level gets to one-half full because the machine stops drawing at one-quarter.
because I don't have the money to pay the EPA all the fines that would entail nor the money to pay everyone when a jack ass rolls his vans and kills everyone around him in a ball of fire because of an illegal fuel tap. That EPA sticker and release of liability that comes with a transfer flow fuel kit is priceless but your welcome to do/take whatever risks you want.

Reactions: Vincent Feehan
Name
Torrey Whitaker
Makes me want to buy a couple new Chevy expresses before this country only builds these euro trash buses...

Ill sell you a couple gently used ones...

I am looking to put my Cleanco56 in a new one.
These weren't used for pto machines were they? Lol
I passed on a great deal on a Chevy express a month ago because I could tell there was a truckmount in it at one time. The dealer salesman didn't understand what I meant when I said I'd never buy a van that had been used in this business. Ha

Ended up getting a killer deal on a box truck.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Years ago (could be that it is not relevant to current vans) the Transit used to be underpowered and not considered to be very durable or reliable.
However that was a while ago.

Last edited:

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I thought the US Dodge vans were the Mercedes Benz Sprinters?

Now they're selling the Fiat ducato's... under the same branding and model types.

Seems a stupid move to me.

John

Name
Lee Stockwell
I thought the US Dodge vans were the Mercedes Benz Sprinters?

Now they're selling the Fiat ducato's... under the same branding and model types.

Seems a stupid move to me.

John
Mercedes Benz controlled Chrysler for a few years, then sold out at a big loss. When that ended about 5 years ago Chrysler lost access to the Sprinter.

Fiat bought control of Chrysler after bankruptcy, thus the new van connection.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Mercedes Benz controlled Chrysler for a few years, then sold out at a big loss. When that ended about 5 years ago Chrysler lost access to the Sprinter.

Fiat bought control of Chrysler after bankruptcy, thus the new van connection.

Yup.

Daimler and Chrysler are not rolling together anymore.

Fiat is the Chrysler savior for now.. they are putting fiat engines in chrysler some cars. (like the Dart)

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
kind of a disappointment. All these motor companies are switching to the high top euro style vans. For the broke dick owner op you cant get those things to fit into a standard size garage. I rent warehouse space where my other equipment, econoline ,and minivan stay but it is nice to be able to take the van home after a late night job or whatever and put it in the garage. There are several chuck and a truck contractors who I have also heard voice this same concern. High top just not for me until I can afford to build a shop or pole barn

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Becker

Name
Becker
kind of a disappointment. All these motor companies are switching to the high top euro style vans. For the broke dick owner op you cant get those things to fit into a standard size garage. I rent warehouse space where my other equipment, econoline ,and minivan stay but it is nice to be able to take the van home after a late night job or whatever and put it in the garage. There are several chuck and a truck contractors who I have also heard voice this same concern. High top just not for me until I can afford to build a shop or pole barn

Yes thinking I might buy 2 rather than one additional new or slightly used van in 2014.......

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Some Newer vehicles are coming out with NON serviceable coolant systens! Not sure if it applies to fleet lines or not.

Make sure that dude has a rat cap : )

Chris A

Name
Chris

I had the same concern but the height I saw for the standard roof Transit is 83 inches, so still good for a 7' standard garage door.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Yup.

Daimler and Chrysler are not rolling together anymore.

Fiat is the Chrysler savior for now.. they are putting fiat engines in chrysler some cars. (like the Dart)

AS long as they dont dick around with a known commodity like the RAM TRUCKS, with the CUMMINS...its all good

quote below....PLUS a lot of the newer homes...

google this address 500 S 1425 W, Layton, UT and then use the street view to look up and down the streets....this subdivison is about 3 yrs old....

I had the same concern but the height I saw for the standard roof Transit is 83 inches, so still good for a 7' standard garage door.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The Dodge would look better if they moved the headlights down into that giant hunk of plastic that makes up the entire front.

All of the "Euro" vans are modified for use in the US. They may be wider versions of the longest wheelbase, have heavier brakes and transmissions and different engines. The Ford and Dodge both have US-only V-6 engines that get pretty good reviews in their other uses, so comparing "our" version of these vans to their Euro cousins might not be that simple.

I'm with Torrey on letting others be the early adopters. The first Sprinters went through brakes so fast you had to keep a spare set handy, and anyone remember the Ford/Harverster LCF of only a couple years ago? Gone in a cloud of litigation over the poor reliability of the Ford-built diesel engines.

Fiat is the Chrysler savior for now..
Turns out that Chrysler is actually saving Fiat, as Chrysler profits are offsetting Fiat losses in Europe. Mercedes was a rapist interested only in stealing technology, the Cerberus Group penny pinchers that killed product quality. Now that actual car guys run the company Chrysler seems to be doing pretty well.

PS: Jeep is the only part of Chrysler that survived the Mercedes years intact. The Jeep guys just refused to do anything Mercedes wanted.

Last edited:
Name
Shawn Forsythe

Isn't it frustrating that just when and since they started making this an option, they then and still only address those not needing a return? Ugg!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom