New Portable with Dual 8.4" Ametek Lamb Vacs & 500 PSI Pump System

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'm not afraid to run cords, but not a @Willy P nut on cords though.. My average cord run is between 3-4 depending on if I use propane or electric heat.. Only 1 cord is more than a 15 amp which has the pump and 1 3stage vac on it.. Been using a 3rd 3stage vac to boost the suction at the machine..

Works for me..
I normally use 3 cords when doing suites. I like having the external heater. I am usually starting with hot tap water and am using the EDIC heat & run single cord heater. It won't keep up with the flow rate if you use it wide open but I usually start in the middle of the room and work to the wall. Dry stroke back slowly to the middle again, giving the heater time to recover and repeat. Not like a TM but better than not having a heater.

Reactions: vibra-vacster

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'm not afraid to run cords, but not a @Willy P nut on cords though.. My average cord run is between 3-4 depending on if I use propane or electric heat.. Only 1 cord is more than a 15 amp which has the pump and 1 3stage vac on it.. Been using a 3rd 3stage vac to boost the suction at the machine..

Works for me..
I'd welcome any ideas you have.

Reactions: Nate The Great

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
We have been switching to 20 amp circuits and not experienced any problems here in Dallas.

All new homes within the last 20 years have some 20 amp breakers.

Our new Dual 6.6 Vac machine has a 700 PSI pump running on one 20 amp & one 15 amp.

If you don't have a 20 amp circuit all you need to do is turn down the pump pressure to about 350 PSI spraying.

Best of both worlds, with the ability to clean dirty Tile & Grout.

Last edited:

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Mine as is is probably a little big. 24 gallons. I am thinking of doing a smaller 16 gallon machine with autofill/pump out options. To get the shell fabricated and all the components ordered would probably take a month.

Id love to see pics .. and pics of the manifold if possible. How heavy is it? What is the shell made of?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Id love to see pics .. and pics of the manifold if possible. How heavy is it? What is the shell made of?
It's made of aluminum. I have pics on here somewhere. I have to take some new ones. The manifold is simply a box welded to the bottom of the waste tank. Both motors are flush mounted to the manifold. The 2 inch stack comes from the manifold into the waste tank. The 2 inch stack will handle all the cfm you can throw at it, just like your 2 inch hose on a TM. The openings on each vac motor is 1 7/8. Times 2 is 3 3/4. Reducing the total opening to 2 inches causes the vac motors to rev up a little more, decreasing the amperage draw slightly, allowing me to run my 1/2 HP 500 psi pump with out blowing circuit breakers on 2 15 amp circuits.

Name
Nate W.
It's made of aluminum. I have pics on here somewhere. I have to take some new ones. The manifold is simply a box welded to the bottom of the waste tank. Both motors are flush mounted to the manifold. The 2 inch stack comes from the manifold into the waste tank. The 2 inch stack will handle all the cfm you can throw at it, just like your 2 inch hose on a TM. The openings on each vac motor is 1 7/8. Times 2 is 3 3/4. Reducing the total opening to 2 inches causes the vac motors to rev up a little more, decreasing the amperage draw slightly, allowing me to run my 1/2 HP 500 psi pump with out blowing circuit breakers on 2 15 amp circuits.

4722702.jpg

Name
Nate W.
Yep and Ron's is even stronger.

I remember when Tony Wheelwright would come visit me, he had nothing but good things to say about Odin's portable... He also paid a hefty price too...

When I have @Cleanworks build me a portable, I'd want some big ass wheels on it like the old Dirt Invader and a dump valve that is slightly higher than a toilet that actually drains out all the sand and shit I see... Maybe even a ball valve for a drain of some type.. Depending on the height of the machine will also depend if I can put my #2lg heater on top of it when I wheel it... Like I said, I have some ideas for my perfect portable...

DI-1,2,3.jpg

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Yep, a slanted bottom towards the dump valve. I swapped out the gate valve and put in a ball valve because the gate dribbled.

It dribbled like___________.

Reactions: Shorty

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
We have switched to the dual 1500 hour 6.6" Ametek vacs,

which allow us to use a 3/4 HP AC pump system with the Cat Pump.
s.Great cleaning for Carpet & Tile & Grout.

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=85&products_id=5484

I think the 6.6" vacs have more potential in becoming the standard units of the next gen of HP portables, than the 8.4's do.

Although 8.4's are certainly intriguing, I think they are a little too much of a leap in size from the current 5.7 standard for mass production units.

The operators that I know of who run them swear by them, and can back-up the loooong life-span claims.

They got a lot of sh!t because of the thermal-cut-off issue that some were plagued with, as some units had the cut-off and some did not.

Larry, you give us a rundown on the 6.6 thermal cut-off issue that seemed to plague earlier models, and whether or not is has been resolved?

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I remember when Tony Wheelwright would come visit me, he had nothing but good things to say about Odin's portable... He also paid a hefty price too...

When I have @Cleanworks build me a portable, I'd want some big ass wheels on it like the old Dirt Invader and a dump valve that is slightly higher than a toilet that actually drains out all the sand and shit I see... Maybe even a ball valve for a drain of some type.. Depending on the height of the machine will also depend if I can put my #2lg heater on top of it when I wheel it... Like I said, I have some ideas for my perfect portable...

Unless you loose the gate-valve, you will need a secondary, lower drain like the new LTD'S have.

Gate valves dribble because sand and hard solids get trapped in the thin channel that seals the gate when closed.

Tilting your unit back to empty the last bit of water is a gate-valve killer.

Ball valves are not susceptible to this, so it's probably the best option.

I'm curious how much more a ball-valve sticks out compared to the gate-valve.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I think the 6.6" vacs have more potential in becoming the standard units of the next gen of HP portables, than the 8.4's do.

They got a lot of sh!t because of the thermal-cut-off issue that some were plagued with, as some units had the cut-off and some did not.

Larry, you give us a rundown on the 6.6 thermal cut-off issue that seemed to plague earlier models, and whether or not is has been resolved?

The original 8.4" vacs came with a thermal protector (bad idea).

In an extractor, it would shut down the vac motor,
and then require a very long wait to cool off and reset.

If you order the correct model 8.4" or 6.6" vac motor from a "non-carwash" distributor,

you will NOT have the thermal protector at all.

Last edited:
Name
Nate W.
Unless you loose the gate-valve, you will need a secondary, lower drain like the new LTD'S have.

Gate valves dribble because sand and hard solids get trapped in the thin channel that seals the gate when closed.

Tilting your unit back to empty the last bit of water is a gate-valve killer.

Ball valves are not susceptible to this, so it's probably the best option.

I'm curious how much more a ball-valve sticks out compared to the gate-valve.

I agree on you with tilting the unit back and the sand clogging it.. Either have the ball valve recessed into the unit at an angle so it doesn't stick out or probably use a hose with a cap like the US Priducts Flood King has... Either way, a portable with a tank that has a concave bottom that you can drain everything out of with be the best..

I tend to rinse out my portable on the job after I finish cleaning with my auto fill hose still connected to the sink..

I've also done the turning of the vacs motors on, then opening the gate valve to remove the sand from the thin channel but it makes it get the tank all dirty again..

Jim M.

Name
Jim Morrow
The original 8.4" vacs came with a thermal protector (bad idea).

In an extractor, it would shut down the vac motor,
and then require a very long wait to cool off and reset.

If you order the correct model 8.4" or 6.6" vac motor from a "non-carwash" distributor,

you will NOT have the thermal protector at all.
BulllCrap .
Why wouldn't you want protection from overheating ESPECIALLY in a portable you bring into someones house ????
Thermal protection works fine IF you have ventilation. AND yes you can order the 6.6 or the 8.4s without the thermal protection (DA idea) from other than Cobbs. Kleen rite has both models ...for example at a reduced price..

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
BulllCrap .
Why wouldn't you want protection from overheating ESPECIALLY in a portable you bring into someones house ????
Thermal protection works fine IF you have ventilation. AND yes you can order the 6.6 or the 8.4s without the thermal protection (DA idea) . . .

BS I say !

We tested the 1st 8.4" Vacs released with massive 6" 260 CFM cooling fans and extra intake vents,

and they still went thermal with normal operation.

The thermal protectors were just to meet U.L. testing in bank conveyor systems with a total blockage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom