New Portable with Dual 8.4" Ametek Lamb Vacs & 500 PSI Pump System

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I remember when Tony Wheelwright would come visit me, he had nothing but good things to say about Odin's portable... He also paid a hefty price too...

When I have @Cleanworks build me a portable, I'd want some big ass wheels on it like the old Dirt Invader and a dump valve that is slightly higher than a toilet that actually drains out all the sand and shit I see... Maybe even a ball valve for a drain of some type.. Depending on the height of the machine will also depend if I can put my #2lg heater on top of it when I wheel it... Like I said, I have some ideas for my perfect portable...

DI-1,2,3.jpg

Who sells the Dirt Invader? Looks like R2D2 in a wheelchair !!

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Buncha smartasses.

FYI, my first GF gave me that name, saying "I'se ain't gonna tell nobody 'bout yo, I'se gonna call you Shorty".

She came from 'bama;

Met her about a decade before Woodstock.

The rest is history. :winky: :very_drunk:

:yoda:

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I agree on you with tilting the unit back and the sand clogging it.. Either have the ball valve recessed into the unit at an angle so it doesn't stick out or probably use a hose with a cap like the US Priducts Flood King has... Either way, a portable with a tank that has a concave bottom that you can drain everything out of with be the best..

I tend to rinse out my portable on the job after I finish cleaning with my auto fill hose still connected to the sink..

I've also done the turning of the vacs motors on, then opening the gate valve to remove the sand from the thin channel but it makes it get the tank all dirty again..

My machine has a deeper channel right under the drain on the inside that catches the heaviest solids.

It's nice to have to catch the bigun's, but what accumulates in there has to be dealt with on it's own.

I completely rinse out my tank after every job with my open ended fill/utility hose.

After all the lighter stuff is rinsed out, I can work the heavier sediments towards the drain and accomplish blasting out all but the heaviest stuff that gets cough in the channel, which I usually leave until it accumulates enough to warrant me sticking my hand down and cleaning it out.

Usually little screws, pebbles, and other non-funkables that I don't get shkeev'd out by leaving.

It's the medium weigh stuff that collects in the channel that I blast out that posses the biggest risk of getting caught in the gate seal.

I should get a pick tool for my bag to have on hand for checking and cleaning out the gate seal.

71f5BE8emJL._SX425_ pick.........jpg

If you tried using your fingers before to clean it out, you would understand why.

Gotta have the right tool for the task, no matter how small it may be.

Reactions: Spurlington
Name
Nate W.
I just unscrew it and rinse it out when I get back to my shop.. It's a PITA to do it everyday when putting it away.. That's why I'd like either a concaved bottom with a gate valve or a hose & plug like the flood king got.. Taking it apart only to wash it out only take a min or so, but a custom portable should have the amenities I'd like..

I think it was @Mikey P who said that's the best thing about the vortex tanks is the way it drains on the bottom..

Last edited:

Jim M.

Name
Jim Morrow
Massive lol

You porty guys just crack me up.
DJ
I detest using a Portable and have no need for TM as I am part time since 2009 .
Some (Jimmy L.) would refer to me as a "EWIT" . :razz:
Granted no TM and I am limited to where I can use HWE but then I have the money making Cimex and or a CX-17 for those commercila runs.
Recenty purchased a Zipper ...........

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Jim M.

Name
Jim Morrow
My machine has a deeper channel right under the drain on the inside that catches the heaviest solids.

It's nice to have to catch the bigun's, but what accumulates in there has to be dealt with on it's own.

I completely rinse out my tank after every job with my open ended fill/utility hose.

After all the lighter stuff is rinsed out, I can work the heavier sediments towards the drain and accomplish blasting out all but the heaviest stuff that gets cough in the channel, which I usually leave until it accumulates enough to warrant me sticking my hand down and cleaning it out.

Usually little screws, pebbles, and other non-funkables that I don't get shkeev'd out by leaving.

It's the medium weigh stuff that collects in the channel that I blast out that posses the biggest risk of getting caught in the gate seal.

I should get a pick tool for my bag to have on hand for checking and cleaning out the gate seal.

View attachment 72126

If you tried using your fingers before to clean it out, you would understand why.

Frank
You are correct the 8.4s are to large for most extractors and would overheat in most. C/As large motor shell and the fact they are not directly attached to the waste tank gives plenty room for ventilation. CA shape certainly not the best for climbing stairs . Close to 800 hours on my 2nd pair of 8.4s WITH the thermal protection.
Cobb refers to testing from years ago when both the 6.6s and 8.4s had their share of problems. Overheating is rare now unless they are crammed into a clam shaped extractor meant for the smaller 5.7s.

Reactions: Ed Valentine

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
here is a little video comparing my machine to another high performance machine. Although I call the other machine a Mytee, it doesn't say Mytee on it anywhere, I am just assuming it because it looks like a Mytee.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
One of the things you will notice is that there is no full base plate under the machine. There is just a mounting plate for the pump. There is nothing between the vac motors and the floor allowing the vac motors to breathe easy and not over heat.

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Nate W.
I didn't know you got a lisp... Now I'll read your posts with a lisp..

From the floor to the top of the machine, how tall do you think it is roughly?

And I didn't see your auto pumpout

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Didn't know I had a lisp either. It is 45 inches to the top of the handle. I designed it that way so it would fit into a chevy Astro van. It is 24 inches wide so it fits in all doorways.

Reactions: Nate The Great

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
here is a little video comparing my machine to another high performance machine. Although I call the other machine a Mytee, it doesn't say Mytee on it anywhere, I am just assuming it because it looks like a Mytee.

Thats awesome you built your own porty !! Im looking to build one myself .. my design but have someone put it together !! And its gonna be a monster .. I hope !!

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino

View attachment 72126

Those work perfectly after draining .. I pick n rinse and my valve closes tight with ease !!

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Interesting look at your "aluminum portable" machine.
Mytee has a similar design on their newest Speedster with parallel Vacs
mounted directly to recovery tank bottom.
Mytee uses dual 2" stacks to enhance airflow.

We like this Dual 6.6" Ametek series design vac manifold.
It has registered the highest vac level we have ever seen,
actually cleaning with a 12" wand on our level loop carpet:

66VacCatPump.jpg

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I saw the new Mytee machine. They're learning. I like your series manifold but not the fact that you have a hose connecting it to the waste tank. I know it's hard trying to configure everything to a pre existing shell but I think you would get even better performance if the first vac motor was mounted to the waste tank.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Performance of this Dual 6.6" Vac machine is higher than all of the extractors we have ever tested while extracting the carpet. (11.5" hg)

This included 3 Vac and 4 Vac extractors in the past.

Vac Performance.jpg

Last edited:

Jim M.

Name
Jim Morrow

Nice build ! Plenty of room for ventilation .
With your skills you should build a gas TM and put the porty to rest .:smile:

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Ron and Larry, I have an EDIC Galaxy with two three stage motors. The stand pipe is 1 1/2" and I'm wondering what would happen if I take it into the House of Pain and install a 2" pipe? Do you guys think it would make any improvement?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Ron and Larry, I have an EDIC Galaxy with two three stage motors. The stand pipe is 1 1/2" and I'm wondering what would happen if I take it into the House of Pain and install a 2" pipe? Do you guys think it would make any improvement?
If you have the large 12-13.8 amp 3 stage vac motors, you will increase your air flow and give you the option of using 2 inch hose for longer runs. In my video, the old Mytee was plumbed with an 1 1/2 inch hose barb. I drilled it out and replaced with a 2 inch barb and it allows me to use my 2 inch westpack wand with better results. That machine already has twin stacks. You may need to replace the hose connecting the vacuums together with 2 inch hose.

Reactions: Old Coastie
Name
Nate W.
If you have the large 12-13.8 amp 3 stage vac motors, you will increase your air flow and give you the option of using 2 inch hose for longer runs. In my video, the old Mytee was plumbed with an 1 1/2 inch hose barb. I drilled it out and replaced with a 2 inch barb and it allows me to use my 2 inch westpack wand with better results. That machine already has twin stacks. You may need to replace the hose connecting the vacuums together with 2 inch hose.

I got an exact model of the Mytee Speeder Contractor portable with a single stack in the tank just like that in your video.. Got it with a bunch of equipment when a guy went out of business.. The guy changed the vacs from 2stage to 3stage.. I doubt it's high performance at all.. Has a 100psi pump on it and runs on 1cord.. The only thing I changed on it was the 2" barb..

I've noticed that it seems the vacuums suck up water with its in the tank.. It's like the velocity is too much for the tank.. I tried using a diffuser and pointing the elbow differently in the tank but still seems to suck up blowby.. It has the clear lid and I'll watch it with a flash light.. Happened ever since I got it.. I even tried a lint filter to slow it down..

It doesn't matter if it upholstery or carpet, does it on both.. With the 100psi we only used it for upholstery.. Been sitting for years collecting dust..

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I got an exact model of the Mytee Speeder Contractor portable with a single stack in the tank just like that in your video.. Got it with a bunch of equipment when a guy went out of business.. The guy changed the vacs from 2stage to 3stage.. I doubt it's high performance at all.. Has a 100psi pump on it and runs on 1cord.. The only thing I changed on it was the 2" barb..

I've noticed that it seems the vacuums suck up water with its in the tank.. It's like the velocity is too much for the tank.. I tried using a diffuser and pointing the elbow differently in the tank but still seems to suck up blowby.. It has the clear lid and I'll watch it with a flash light.. Happened ever since I got it.. I even tried a lint filter to slow it down..

It doesn't matter if it upholstery or carpet, does it on both.. With the 100psi we only used it for upholstery.. Been sitting for years collecting dust..
This one actually has a twin stack. Lower suction, greater airflow. Has a round orange deflector that points the incoming flow to the side. I replaced that with a 2 inch 90 degree elbow. I haven't used it enough to see if it has the same problem. I think the main problem is the small waste tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom