Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Unlike most presprays, PowerMax was designed with a
1. Citrus solvent for grease
2. Limited pH to eliminate choking irritation
3. Time-Release oxidizer to keep the oxidizer from losing oxygen prematurely

One problem I see with the multi-jet wand is that you cannot apply extra to any one spot that needs it.

I am not seeing this as a problem...I could put your pre spray down and it was rare that it would not remove all the spots...and if by chance it wouldn't then I would just grab the super soap...

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I would also question both accounts(not to try to defer blame) to see if they have had any other services done like pest control sprays.

Do you have any pics of the yellow spots?

hogjowl

Idiot™
Pics? No, I'm not Mr. Happy.

And, the only way I'll be Mr. Happy, all-be-it temporarily, would be if Paul grew a backbone and learned to expect the rocks
he throws to bounce back at him.

Imagine how but hurt he'll get the first time he crosses Boyle.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

hogjowl

Idiot™
I would also question both accounts(not to try to defer blame) to see if they have had any other services done like pest control sprays.

Do you have any pics of the yellow spots?
My Father in law has the pest control in both accounts. He swears his stuff dries clear, and I believe him. Besides, one of the accounts is a church and there's no reason for him to be spraying the pews.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Don't let people bother you, Paul... It's just the internet.

Truthfully, you were giving Smarty just as hard of a time as he gave you. Only difference... Marty is just VERY experienced at it...

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
My Father in law has the pest control in both accounts. He swears his stuff dries clear, and I believe him. Besides, one of the accounts is a church and there's no reason for him to be spraying the pews.
I don't doubt his honesty or experience Marty, but I'd look into this issue further. Something in the back of my head tells me I've seen this before with pest control products.

I tend to look both ways when I cross a one way street too.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I have been reading...and pondering this thread, and I cannot think of one instance that we have had this happen

That we are aware of....

But, I am from Northern MN and maybe we have cheaper furniture up there (which is very possible!)

With the filtration soil lines we experience, we are also spraying and saturating those areas along base boards and not treating them very easy....

But with a painted surface such as baseboards, they do make us nervous that we will scuff or remove paint.

With finishes wood pieces, they just always make us nervous that they could leave a mark on the carpet or even have something happen to them, so we do sticky tab many items....

Now, we do not wipe off every finished surface I am sure that gets wet in a day, and have not seen an instance such as mentioned YET...

And hoping we don't....

We currently use mainly Harvard Products for reference and a few others from Butler and CTI, Bridgepoint Stain Zone....

We do carry a lot, but do not have the product I think in question by Marty.

Oh..and the warm weather in Florida makes me very Mr. Happy :)

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
Pics? No, I'm not Mr. Happy.

And, the only way I'll be Mr. Happy, all-be-it temporarily, would be if Paul grew a backbone and learned to expect the rocks
he throws to bounce back at him.

Imagine how but hurt he'll get the first time he crosses Boyle.

My original response post was perhaps very blunt, but not disrespectful or rock throwing. Here it is for review:

In all due respect, whether or not your prespray leaves a "noticeable" residue or not, if you are getting prespray on the baseboards and furniture legs you should be wiping it off. So you need to be careful NOT to get ANY prespray on the baseboards and furniture legs, and if you do, you need to wipe the baseboards and furniture legs off with a towel. Pretty simple solution really!
No offense, but I find it hard to believe that someone with your experience is getting complaints from your customers for any reason, but especially for something as basic as being careful, paying attention, and wiping furniture legs if you happen to get them wet with prespray.

Now here is a quote from your own website:

"About Us
AdmiralClean, Inc. is aPrattville carpet cleaningcompany that was started by Marty Sutley in April 1988. Carpet cleaning and upholstery cleaning is what most people think of when they think of me; however, I also provide tile and grout cleaning, wood floor cleaning, oriental rug cleaning and cleaning for other miscellaneous floor coverings. If it is on the floor, I clean it. My son and I work together and provide quality that can only be found when the owner is doing the work. We are people you can trust to have in your home. Just ask anyone who knows us."

Like you Marty, I am an owner operator and my only permanent full time employee is my son-in-law. I have been in business 5 1/2 years, and during this time I have received only 3 complaints. One was that my son-in-law nicked a bed frame, which I paid to repair. The other two were call-backs from one particularly picky apartment manager and one of those was a result of her maintenance folks getting grease on the carpet AFTER I had cleaned it.

Now, I realize that getting only 3 complaints in 5 years is not reasonable or realistic for most cleaners in most areas, but I live in a small college town with good income and education levels and very few nut-jobs!

So when I read your original post about receiving complaints (plural) about you leaving "visible" residual on furniture legs and baseboards, and your concern was only that the residual was visible, I was frankly taken aback and shocked, knowing that you are an experienced owner operator that prides himself on quality work. Then you seemed to disbelieve that most of us owner operators pay close attention to where our prespray lands and use a towel to wipe down furniture legs and baseboards when we get them wet with prespray.

I did not and do not mean to throw rocks at you, or to be disrespectful to you in any way. But I suggest you read your own words above from your website, about quality work and trust, and ask yourself if you are living up to your own standards, in regard to this particular issue...... I am sure you provide very high quality work in other areas.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I did not and do not mean to throw rocks at you, or to be disrespectful to you in any way. But I suggest you read your own words above from your website, about quality work and trust, and ask yourself if you are living up to your own standards, in regard to this particular issue...... I am sure you provide very high quality work in other areas.
Ask and you shall receive.

What a knock out punch!!!
smiley-angry015.gif

He's down, he's on the mat! Will he? Can he get up? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

hogjowl

Idiot™

I'm thinking it's from powdered products. All the Harvard products I am aware of are liquid, right?

hogjowl

Idiot™
My original response post was perhaps very blunt, but not disrespectful or rock throwing. Here it is for review:

Now here is a quote from your own website:

"About Us
AdmiralClean, Inc. is aPrattville carpet cleaningcompany that was started by Marty Sutley in April 1988. Carpet cleaning and upholstery cleaning is what most people think of when they think of me; however, I also provide tile and grout cleaning, wood floor cleaning, oriental rug cleaning and cleaning for other miscellaneous floor coverings. If it is on the floor, I clean it. My son and I work together and provide quality that can only be found when the owner is doing the work. We are people you can trust to have in your home. Just ask anyone who knows us."

Like you Marty, I am an owner operator and my only permanent full time employee is my son-in-law. I have been in business 5 1/2 years, and during this time I have received only 3 complaints. One was that my son-in-law nicked a bed frame, which I paid to repair. The other two were call-backs from one particularly picky apartment manager and one of those was a result of her maintenance folks getting grease on the carpet AFTER I had cleaned it.

Now, I realize that getting only 3 complaints in 5 years is not reasonable or realistic for most cleaners in most areas, but I live in a small college town with good income and education levels and very few nut-jobs!

So when I read your original post about receiving complaints (plural) about you leaving "visible" residual on furniture legs and baseboards, and your concern was only that the residual was visible, I was frankly taken aback and shocked, knowing that you are an experienced owner operator that prides himself on quality work. Then you seemed to disbelieve that most of us owner operators pay close attention to where our prespray lands and use a towel to wipe down furniture legs and baseboards when we get them wet with prespray.

Paul, you really need to leave this alone now before you find yourself refusing to post and privately asking Mikey to ban me. It happens to most blow hards eventually.

Just ask Brevik.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

steve_64

just curious if it could be your rinse?
i had a lady show me the white spots i left on a chair leg once. im sure it wasnt the only time.
i went without soft water for a long time.
i often wash baseboards with my wand but cant think of a time i did with my prespray but i may have.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I'm thinking it's from powdered products. All the Harvard products I am aware of are liquid, right?

No, Actually 3 of the products we are using in our prespray formula of choice are powders. 2 of the products we also add are liquid.

I will PM you the formula we are using and quite happy with.

hogjowl

Idiot™
just curious if it could be your rinse?
i had a lady show me the white spots i left on a chair leg once. im sure it wasnt the only time.
i went without soft water for a long time.
i often wash baseboards with my wand but cant think of a time i did with my prespray but i may have.
No, it can't be my rinse. While my wand does overspray a little bit (hazard of glide usage), it doesn't spray up into the air and cause the rinse to travel, the way open wand prespraying does.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
Owing to the - you know - blind thing, this happens to me a bit. I have little option but to towel off as son as I spray. I now don't even bother checking to see if it's needed. Damp rag and wipe regardless.

If you find a better solution for this issue I an one very interested party.

I have taken to scrubbing all jobs with the shower feed now.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I spent months reading Mikey's Board before I started my business just over 5 years ago, then attended IICRC classes with Jim Pemberton. By the time I did my first job, I felt like I already had years of experience. I learned a huge amount of information here, and feel I owe Mike and Jim Pemberton for much of my success in business. I still check in every day, but seldom post.
But do you carry a towel?

Reactions: hogjowl

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Have you guys noticed this before? Have you taken steps to prevent it? What presprays are you using that won't leave a noticeable residue?

Sooooo Marty, out of the 174 replies(amazing) how many actually answered the extremely simple question!?

Maybe 10 gave actual answers.
154 just wanted to bust balls.
The other 10, who knows what they are talking about....!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Let us know what your findings are when you're done investigating this Marty.

Despite all of the distractions, this thread touched on important issues of working neatly and carefully, respiratory irritation and chemical exposure concerns, the variety of formulations available for use as a prespray, and application options for such products.

It was a great discussion.

Last edited:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I've never had a complaint about powermax residue and we hose down everything, We do try not to spray the wood and wipe if we see gets hit.

Ps I'm not going to spray wood to see if it will leave discoloration.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom