Prespray residue on furniture

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
larger jet
longer wand , closer to the floor
stop spraying with a HF at 650,000 PSI

some peebles don't have enough sense to pour water out of a boot :icon_rolleyes:

..L.T.A.

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
What were we talking about? O ya. the one carpet cleaner in the world who doesn't carry a towel in his pocket to wipe up overspray.

And as I have previously stated, if you are seriously saying that you and your employees don't spray baseboards and furniture legs on occasion, or that you or they walk around with a towel wiping them off, then I'm calling you a damn liar.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Lar:
I use a Multisprayer. It's a new one, so the jet is in good shape.

Tell me this, why is Jim Martin the only guy willing to publically admit that he can't help but spray a baseboard on occasion? I've had private talks with two other cleaners and one supplier who have PRIVATELY admitted it. The supplier even said it's been an on going issue and solutions are being considered.

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
Lar:

Tell me this, why is Jim Martin the only guy willing to publically admit that he can't help but spray a baseboard on occasion? I've had private talks with two other cleaners and one supplier who have PRIVATELY admitted it. The supplier even said it's been an on going issue and solutions are being considered.

Solutions are being considered? .... A solution already exists, .... it's called a cotton towel. PM me and I will give you directions on how to use one to wipe down baseboards. (I don't want to share my baseboard wiping secrets on a public forum)

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
a little bit of tweaking and I bet something like this could solve a lot of problems...

but in the prespray situation...gravity is not going to be your friend..it is going to require a push....

IMG_6032_zps135e5525.jpg

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Lar:

"Lar", me??

if you saw my first post on this thread, I said I'm SURE I have ...and in particular in MY OWN home where I'm less careful .
everyone does if they're spraying within a foot .....whether they're aware or not ..I don't think it can be avoided completely .
it can be minimized though thru direction/angle we spray when close to furniture

oh yea, Cody and Shawn DO keep a spotting towel in their back pocket when cleaning...fo-reel
I'm not going to lie and say we wipe baseboards or furniture legs regularly (unless it was obvious we oversprayed or slopped 'em up)
But we always wipe hard surface/carpet transition areas ...always .even in sec 8s

and as i said too...NO we haven't noticed any residue ...and it would be most obvious in my own home

..L.T.A.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Please! Just schedule an appointment with your local optometrist.

Carpet is the soft stuff, prespray is good there. Baseboards are the hard stuff, prespray is not good there.

:biggrin:

Reactions: dgardner

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
a little bit of tweaking and I bet something like this could solve a lot of problems...

but in the prespray situation...gravity is not going to be your friend..it is going to require a push....

IMG_6032_zps135e5525.jpg
Let me know how this works. I am most concerned with issues regarding respiratory irritation, though minimizing the need to bend over to wipe baseboards is near and dear to my 55 year old heart...err back...

Reactions: hogjowl

hogjowl

Idiot™
I just came in from a job and while doing it I realized I used a towel. Not in my back pocket, mind you, but I took it in with me. The job had wood floors. I always wipe up overspray on wood floors and I carry a retractable handled microfiber mop to clean up our foot prints on wood. I just use whatever wood floor spray HD happens to have. However, I never wipe down baseboards. Most of our baseboards are painted, so the vapor/overspray doesn't show up on them. It's the stained (rare) baseboards, furniture legs and cabinet bases that it shows up on. I have noticed, from my spray testing in my office, and from the job I did this afternoon, that this is not an issue that shows up overnight, or after one or two cleanings. My office test showed nothing today, and the job I did this afternoon had stained baseboards and nothing was on them. This was a new Always Clean customer and it was her second cleaning on the program. The first cleaning was a nasty that required lots of prespray and 175 scrubbing prior to extraction. So I went in expecting to see the issue we are discussing. Nothing was evident. Both the accounts that mentioned it to me were long time customers, so I am thinking it either shows up over time, or there is something going on other than the PowerMax in those two accounts.

Jim Martin - your picture is exactly what I had envisioned. When I mentioned gravity fed systems, I forgot that the farming applications we have are fed by 100 gallon tanks elevated about 6 ft. up. So the force is there. 2 to 4 gallon tanks 3 ft. in the air won't get it. So, it will require a pressure system.

With both you, and Pemberton working on a solution, this will be an issue who's solution will be found.

Thanks to both of you.

Reactions: Travis Sonderegger

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I wonder if the prespray is drying on the surface, then over time it is absorbing moisture and contaminants from the air?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
could be the contaminents in the air combined with the residue and caused the yellowish on those surfaces. It could also be that the baseboards has some dust soils on them that the prespray broke down and then dried.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
2 to 4 gallon tanks 3 ft. in the air won't get it. So, it will require a pressure system.

Pump sprayer(shoot me) or it looks like you could just hook up a hydro force to it. Myself, I'd stick with the multi sprayer if that's what you like.

Yes, I do occasionally get pre spray places it should go. If they have filtration soiling, heck yea the baseboards going to get wet with pre spray.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Have you considered asking them to stop frying eggs on the baseboards?

Congrats on the towel Marty. There's hope for you. Yet.

Paul, FYI Martush expresses love through insults. In that regard, I am happy to inform you- you've just arrived.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul Demers

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Unlike most presprays, PowerMax was designed with a
1. Citrus solvent for grease
2. Limited pH to eliminate choking irritation
3. Time-Release oxidizer to keep the oxidizer from losing oxygen prematurely

One problem I see with the multi-jet wand is that you cannot apply extra to any one spot that needs it.

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
Have you considered asking them to stop frying eggs on the baseboards?

Congrats on the towel Marty. There's hope for you. Yet.

Paul, FYI Martush expresses love through insults. In that regard, I am happy to inform you- you've just arrived.

I spent months reading Mikey's Board before I started my business just over 5 years ago, then attended IICRC classes with Jim Pemberton. By the time I did my first job, I felt like I already had years of experience. I learned a huge amount of information here, and feel I owe Mike and Jim Pemberton for much of my success in business. I still check in every day, but seldom post.

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
See.
If Marty calls you Taco, he thinks the world of you.
If he refers to you as Jim M. he literally thinks you can walk on water.

Skippy, is not quite there but it shows potential.

Just keep posting Paul and please don't keep your opinion of Marty to yourself. You can't possibly think of him as lowly as the rest of us :winky:

Ask C. Havez.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Both the accounts that mentioned it to me were long time customers, so I am thinking it either shows up over time

Sounds like it's showing up over time because the over-spray residue is BUILDING UP OVER TIME with each cleaning until it is thick enough to be visible.

I would think most any brand of pre-spray would show a visible residue as such after X amount of cleanings.

Some probably faster than others.

Any remedy other than simply being a little more conscientious when spraying near such items, and giving regulars a courtesy wipe after X amount of cleanings, would be counterproductive in my opinion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom