Prespray residue on furniture

hogjowl

Idiot™
Jim:
Paul and Richard have killed this thread from it's original intent, but please tell those who have discussed this with you that I believe it is an idea whose time has come. I envision something as simple as a gravity fed pole on wheels with a spray bar at the bottom, about two inches from the carpet. We already have these in farm applications that follow along behind the tractor. A backpak sprayer with the wand removed and the spray bar attached would work fine.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I would think that having a larger jet size will go a long way towards improving the issue, as the size of the droplets will be larger. Therefore atomizing will not happen.

Unless applied without much pressure (gravity?), I do not think that applying it lower will work, as the jet size will need to be smaller and may atomize the solution which will actually make it more (not less) hazardous.

Marty, this could actually turn out to be a beneficial thread, out of its all too modest beginning.
Who would have thunk!? :winky:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
So, in other words, you'd rather make it 'look like' it is safe while breathing the stuff yourself and let them breathe it too.
Wow. Now, there's a solution! Talk about truth in behavior :winky:

I've been wearing the "Darth Vedar" for years without any issues. Most clients, you know, are reasonable intelligent people.
And it does not send the wrong message, just the opposite. I tell them that it is a safe cleaner and that I get exposed to it on a daily basis. I explain that it will be rinsed out and also ask them not to be in the room while I spray.

And here's the kicker, Jim: Most people actually appreciate it. They assume (rightfully) that if I demonstrate care (this time both for myself and them) it will also be manifested in everything else that I do for them. And it does!

If you feel that the stuff you are using is harmful to you then it is harmful to your clients...personally I just use make sure that I keep my wand close to the floor and try to keep my pre spray from getting air born...if you walk into someones home to clean carpets wearing a mask and a few days later someone gets sick...they are going to put the blame on you

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Lee Stockwell
Oh Googly moogly!! Five pages, and I had to read them all to make sure.

Just mix THAT powder at no more than 1/3 the recommended rate.

Don't mix it in your Hydroforce! It's claimed that the persistently undissolved stuff is a "timed-release" ingredient (genius marketing!).

Mix in a separate hedpak and pour into the HF.

I always carry towels...and use them.

Reactions: Travis Sonderegger

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
No one will ever mistake me for an engineer Marty.

I look at what Jim Martin did with his grout sealer applicator, and realize how someone with the right mind set can create a great product that the rest of us just smack ourselves in the forehead and ask why we didn't think of it.

Here is what I know from my own "skill set"

The device needs to be able to get the product to the carpet in a sufficient volume to suspend the soil.

The device needs to deliver said product evenly and without over wetting. I could see where something gravity fed might create situations that would "dump the fluid" and create wetting and residue issues. I think that's one of the reasons people like Jim's Rapid Seal Pro over the gravity fed grout sealing devices.

I am sure people with the right skill set for this type of applicator will contribute far more than I can.

I just know we need to find ways to get our products on the carpet, not in the air or on the furniture, baseboard, window coverings, etc.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Regarding the "yellow stuff": I forget what it's supposed to be, sometime there's a LOT of it, sometimes almost none. Often it was not evenly dispersed in the bucket, thus the mixing instruction.

Usually VERY good product for carpets. Anything that contains butyl will wreak havoc on waxed or finished surfaces.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Reactions: ruff

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
P95.jpg
N95.jpg

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
Jim:
Paul and Richard have killed this thread from it's original intent, but please tell those who have discussed this with you that I believe it is an idea whose time has come. I envision something as simple as a gravity fed pole on wheels with a spray bar at the bottom, about two inches from the carpet. We already have these in farm applications that follow along behind the tractor. A backpak sprayer with the wand removed and the spray bar attached would work fine.

The "original" intent of this thread was you getting residue on furniture legs using a particular prespray and not knowing how to prevent it.

You wrote:
"I've recently noticed that my favorite prespray is leaving a yellow residue on furniture. Granted, I am well aware that we should be careful not to spray furniture legs and baseboards, but let's be realistic. You just can't prevent it entirely. The prespray I love leaves a horrible residue. I only mix it at 1/4th the recommended ratio and it still is causing complaints.
Have you guys noticed this before? Have you taken steps to prevent it? What presprays are you using that won't leave a noticeable residue?"

Jim is actually the one that changed the topic to dealing with respiratory irritation.

Did you forget what your original topic was Marty?

Last edited:

hogjowl

Idiot™
The "original" intent of this thread was you getting residue on furniture legs using a particular prespray and not knowing how to prevent it. Have you taken your meds today?

"I've recently noticed that my favorite prespray is leaving a yellow residue on furniture. Granted, I am well aware that we should be careful not to spray furniture legs and baseboards, but let's be realistic. You just can't prevent it entirely. The prespray I love leaves a horrible residue. I only mix it at 1/4th the recommended ratio and it still is causing complaints.
Have you guys noticed this before? Have you taken steps to prevent it? What presprays are you using that won't leave a noticeable residue?"

Which has nothing to do with facial masks
WELL! I can tell I'm not appreciated here!

I'm going to get to work......if I have to. :errf:

I can't thank you enough. Please take Paul with you.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Dan
Would those protect against the solvents in our precondition? I guess is would depend on what would be considered "nuisance levels"?
Nuisance levels are concentrations below the OSHA PEL (permissable exposure limit) for the material in question. PEL is based on an 8-hour workday time-weighted-average.

I can't directly answer your question, but I imagine if our presprays exposed the worker to concentrations above the PEL they would have a higher health hazard rating than they do.

In any case they would protect better than an N95.....

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
And if you are exposing workers to solvents above the PEL then you are legally required to do the whole respirator thing - including annual medical evaluation and fit testing....

Not to mention liability exposing homeowners.

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
Nuisance levels are concentrations below the OSHA PEL (permissable exposure limit) for the material in question. PEL is based on an 8-hour workday time-weighted-average.

I can't directly answer your question, but I imagine if our presprays exposed the worker to concentrations above the PEL they would have a higher health hazard rating than they do.

In any case they would protect better than an N95.....

Thanks for this info Dan, I think I will get some of these to try out.

Did you get Marty's permission before posting about face masks? I am thinking that's what he expects.

Reactions: dgardner

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Oh Googly moogly!! Five pages, and I had to read them all to make sure.

Just mix THAT powder at no more than 1/3 the recommended rate.

Don't mix it in your Hydroforce! It's claimed that the persistently undissolved stuff is a "timed-release" ingredient (genius marketing!).

Mix in a separate hedpak and pour into the HF.

I always carry towels...and use them.
Lee, you missed the very first post - where Marty said he already mixes it at 1/4 the recommended strength.....

I only mix it at 1/4th the recommended ratio and it still is causing complaints.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom